Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Antarctic anomaly mystery resurfaces again

UM-Bot

Update: The article should read "848 meters", not "848" miles - this has now been corrected.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Saru said:

Update: The article should read "848 meters", not "848" miles - this has now been corrected.

Even 151 miles wide is huge for an asteroid strike or a base.

Edited by South Alabam
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, stereologist said:

The Nazis left that base right after WWII and moved to the dark side of the Moon.

Pink Floyd was in on it.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, South Alabam said:

Even 151 miles wide is huge for an asteroid strike or a base.

The Chicxulub crater off Mexico, thought to have been formed by the meteor which wiped out the dinosaurs, is 110 miles in diameter.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Black Monk said:

The Chicxulub crater off Mexico, thought to have been formed by the meteor which wiped out the dinosaurs, is 110 miles in diameter.

And that still falls within the content South Alabam's post.  Thanks for pointing out the glaringly already-known, by the way.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Saru said:

Thank you for clarifying, I was quite perplexed by the figures. 

848 miles would have placed it roughly halfway through the earth mantle. 

I'd reckon that something like that would have been noticed before, like "Omg, we found the Hell's Gates!" or "there's a bottomless humongous pit in Antarctica!" 

• Like 3

Nazi base. *snort*  No, it's a secret base for aliens observing the ways of human culture. How do I know this? Because it's never anything as mundane as human endeavor or natural phenomenon. It's always aliens. :rofl:

• Like 2

Maybe it is a lost Atlantean base (See Stargate TV show), or is a Super Dimensional Protoculture Factory (Robotech). Either would be nice.

On 12/29/2016 at 7:01 AM, Saru said:

Article also says the crater is about 300 miles across, not 150. Unless UM Bot means "radius".

EDIT: Wait, original article says 150 and 300 miles across in two different places... I guess the crater is 300 miles across and the "anomaly" is 150 miles across?

From OP link article.

It stretches for a distance of 151 miles across and has a maximum depth of about 848 metres.
This “Wilkes Land gravity anomaly” was first uncovered in 2006, when NASA satellites spotted gravitational changes which indicated the presence of a huge object sitting in the middle of a 300 mile wide impact crater.

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Parsec said:

Thank you for clarifying, I was quite perplexed by the figures. 

848 miles would have placed it roughly halfway through the earth mantle. 

I'd reckon that something like that would have been noticed before, like "Omg, we found the Hell's Gates!" or "there's a bottomless humongous pit in Antarctica!" 

The Hollow World entrance!!!!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DieChecker said:

The Hollow World entrance!!!!

Ahah, yeah, I wasn't sure if mentioning that, but you are absolutely right! 

Either that or one of the Elder Things' labs went boom. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DieChecker said:

At the Mountains of Madness.....

I always wonder why is so difficult to make a good movie out of his stories, it's everything there! 

Maybe you need to be a good director and there aren't so many? 

23 hours ago, DieChecker said:

Maybe it is a lost Atlantean base (See Stargate TV show), or is a Super Dimensional Protoculture Factory (Robotech). Either would be nice.

Article also says the crater is about 300 miles across, not 150. Unless UM Bot means "radius".

EDIT: Wait, original article says 150 and 300 miles across in two different places... I guess the crater is 300 miles across and the "anomaly" is 150 miles across?

From OP link article.

I'm starting to think the article linked doesn't make much sense. 

A 151 miles anomaly would still be gargantuan and an object that big wouldn't leave a crater only as twice as its size. 

Something doesn't add up. 

But probably it has more to do with the writer not being so acquainted with geometry and the metric system, rather than with anything else. 

• Like 2

Im sure the earth has gotten hit a few times with huge astroids, that leave huge holes its gonna happen again

• Like 2

it's due to the magnetic north and south centripetal vortex pulling atoms together into their tightest formation. the circular shape is actually hexagonal. check out electric field lines on facebook to get more info. it's the nature of magnetism. not gravity.

• Like 1

it's due to the magnetic north and south centripetal vortex pulling atoms together into their tightest formation. the circular shape is actually hexagonal. check out electric field lines on facebook to get more info. it's the nature of magnetism. not gravity.

14 hours ago, M slater said:

Hmmmm .... No. The formation under discussion has nothing to do with the word salad you posted.

• Like 1

Why not an ancient city?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dyna said:

Why not an ancient city?

Ok, built by who, exactly?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Aliens.

Yeah, I forgot.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Dyna said:

Why not an ancient city?

why not a colony of bigfoots, sleeping their long and gentle sleep?

• Like 3