Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Shadowsot Turns Stuff Around

ShadowSot

That's lovely work.

How long have you been doing this for ?..you know what ?...you would probably make a killing.. if you displayed your work at an arts and craft market.

• Like 4

It got cold enough for frost to form on my tools, and for the shavings to stick to the table. 

But here's what I made today: 

KjsAFEq.jpg

TdcXl9u.jpg

I'm proud of the little goblet. Another piece I did to see if I could make it work with what I have on hand. 
 Really should get a chuck, but a good one runs me half the cost of my lathe. 

• Like 3

Beautiful work 

• Like 4

The last time I worked on a wood lathe was high school about a century ago...I like your work very much...

• Like 2

Thank you, JVG. 

This one's sort of special for me. The wood for the top pen came from the head board of my dad's bed when he was a kid. The bottom was wood that my grandfather kept meaning to use to fix his barn, right up to when he died back in '01. 

f9o7FYI.jpg

• Like 2

Beautiful work. You are blessed with skills I don't have!

• Like 2

On 1/13/2017 at 9:43 AM, DebDandelion said:

Beautiful work. You are blessed with skills I don't have!

Not so much skill, as spending four to five hours every day working on stuff. 

• Like 2

Yes Love it LOVE IT !  NOT MUCH HEEEELL LOOKS LIKE MAJOR SKILLS TO ME !

Like the light one VERY COOL !

I bet they have a good feel to them, or do you do the ? poxy no .... poly EEEeuro  thane thing ? I don't know my evil twin messes with that, notme!

f9o7FYI.jpg

Edited by MWoo7

6 hours ago, ShadowSot said:

Challenge I have is that even if I spend four hours with your machines, I won't be able to produce what u have...so there are skills in there...

56 minutes ago, DebDandelion said:

Challenge I have is that even if I spend four hours with your machines, I won't be able to produce what u have...so there are skills in there...

Ah, well I'm not posting all the shattered cups, busted pens, general mistakes, and many weirdly shaped practice pieces. 

It's all in the time spent practicing and how much you enjoy doing it. 

• Like 1

Finally tracked down the right sealant to use on the cups, I think. Order it next week, a type of epoxy. 

Had some different wood come in with the last shipment of extrusions. Can't see it in the pictures, but it has a light pink tint to it. 

The one to the far left already has a few coats of polyurethane on it. Useful for a few uses, will need a touch up now and then.

Finally got a faceplate. Next step will be to get a drill chuck, won't have to spend so much time cutting out the interior. Make everything more consistent.

3zuN6KZ.jpg?2

Put this together, hopefully it won't fly apart on me tomorrow night. 

HvcbXGQ.jpg?1

If it works out alright, try it with a harder wood next weekend. Bad thing about not having my own workplace is I can't leave things out except on the weekends, otherwise I run the risk of someone else mucking with it. 

• Like 2

Some more stuff. Since I now have a working faceplate, made a passable goblet. 

Also made a couple of cups from glued together pieces of wood. And one glued block came off the lathe and hit my cheek. 

Remember kids, always wear protection. 

Also tried a different type of pen kit. It's a little more complicated, requiring some precise measuring. 

4Fc6E7g.jpg

Close up of one of the pens. Kit's called European style pen kit. Not sure I like it. Have a full pack coming in tomorrow, or so. 

CAO8S71.jpg

Closeup of one of the cups:

muuv4jf.jpg?1

And then there's the piece that bloodied me:

jUZhnMy.jpg

It was a flaw in two parts. My tools had gotten dull, and the lathe had come out of level. 

• Like 2

ShadowSot, you might want to open a store on Etsy after you create enough inventory.   I'm willing to bet there's a good market out there for your creations and it'd be an easy way to get compensated for some of your time.

• Like 2

On 1/14/2017 at 4:28 PM, ShadowSot said:

What kind of sealer do you put on the pieces once they're complete?  Some kind of semi - or high- gloss material?

On 1/14/2017 at 5:28 PM, ShadowSot said:

Dude, that's how you get mad skillz. You screw up a lot, fix it, screw up again, fix it again. To the point where there's less screwing up and more make stuff.:tu:

You work wood, I work steel. I know the cycle.:lol:

5 hours ago, Yamato said:

ShadowSot, you might want to open a store on Etsy after you create enough inventory.   I'm willing to bet there's a good market out there for your creations and it'd be an easy way to get compensated for some of your time.

That's the plan. I'll be selling the cups once I get the epoxy in and have tested it. 

Not so much concerned about being compensated though.

2 hours ago, The Narcisse said:

I like the rings a lot. Would buy one if i saw it in a store probably.

I was warned about durability due to not using a steel blank, but I've found that they hold up pretty well even while wearing them at work. I lose them more than they break. 

1 hour ago, and then said:

What kind of sealer do you put on the pieces once they're complete?  Some kind of semi - or high- gloss material?

Depends. Tung oil and polishing wax on the pens. Was using polyurethane on the cups before finding an epoxy that will work better. Still use it for the rings, though I use the wax too. 

Have some shellac as well, but not used it much. 

As I've said elsewhere, I love those cups. I'd like to use one of a really good session. I wonder what real ale would taste like out of them. 

I love those cups..

I have a question. Do you oil or lacquer them? 
Isnt there a risk that they crack after awhile if not?