Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is this the ghost of King Edward V?

Black Monk

A mother-of-two claims a photo she took at the Tower of London could have been 'photobombed' by the ghost of 12-year-old Edward V - 'solving' a 500-year-old murder mystery in the process.

Mary Ryan, 40, was taking snaps of weapons on display at the historic attraction but failed to notice the face that appeared in the reflection until she returned home to Liverpool.

The hairdresser believes the ghostly face of a young boy could be that of Edward V, who was sent to the Tower along with nine-year-old brother Richard by their uncle Richard III in 1483...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4094312/Does-picture-finally-solve-500-year-old-mystery-princes-Tower-Mother-two-claims-photobombed-ghost-Richard-III-s-12-year-old-victim-Edward-V.html

Edited by Black Monk
  • Like 6

• The title was changed to Is this the ghost of King Edward V?
Just now, ShadowBoy86x said:

Typo in your title bud, thanks for posting tho!

Fixed.

• Like 1

failed to notice the face that appeared in the reflection 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4094312/Does-picture-finally-solve-500-year-old-mystery-princes-Tower-Mother-two-claims-photobombed-ghost-Richard-III-s-12-year-old-victim-Edward-V.html

And she is a mother of two..i hope she is not passing these ridiculous ideas onto her children....because that seems to be what is happening today...woowoo is being passed down before logic and the younsters then post it online, we see a lot of them on here....i blame parents like this woman.

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

And she is a mother of two..i hope she is not passing these ridiculous ideas onto her children....because that seems to be what is happening today...woowoo is being passed down before logic and the younsters then post it online, we see a lot of them on here....i blame parents like this woman.

It's so much easier to not use logic anymore.  It's so much easier to just accept things without thinking them through.

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

failed to notice the face that appeared in the reflection 

The belief in ghosts and spirits isn't a ridiculous notion. Humanity the world over, in countless cultures stretching back millennia, have believed in such things. It's normal. Ghosts and spirits are part and parcel of human beliefs.

As for the Tower, it is one of the most haunted buildings in Britain, with the ghosts of the two Princes in the Tower amongst the myriad of spooks seen. The ghost of Anne Boleyn, who was beheaded there in 1536, is also often seen. The ghost of a bear was once seen by a soldier, which caused him to collapse to death in terror.

Edited by Black Monk
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Thorvir said:

It's so much easier to not use logic anymore.  It's so much easier to just accept things without thinking them through.

Thinking is not one of their strongest points...so i guess the woowoo is an easier option for them....and sticking it on facebook or contacting the dailyfail. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Black Monk said:

The belief in ghosts and spirits isn't a ridiculous notion. Humanity the world over, in countless cultures stretching back millennia, have believed in such things. It's normal. Ghosts and spirits are part and parcel of human beliefs.

Nothing wrong with having an imagination.  What's wrong is clinging to a belief with closed-minded efficiency when that belief has no proof to support it. 

3 minutes ago, Black Monk said:

As for the Tower, it is one of the most haunted buildings in Britain, with the ghosts of the two Princes in the Tower amongst the myriad of spooks seen. The ghost of Anne Boleyn, who was beheaded there in 1536, is also often seen. The ghost of a bear was once seen by a soldier, which caused him to collapse to death in terror.

Wait, how was it determined that the soldier died from seeing a "ghost" of a bear if he was dead and couldn't confirm what killed him?

• Like 8

1 minute ago, freetoroam said:

Thinking is not one of their strongest points...so i guess the woowoo is an easier option for them....and sticking it on facebook or contacting the dailyfail. 

They're also the attention seekers that will claim anything as long as it gets them noticed.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Black Monk said:

The ghost of a bear was once seen by a soldier, which caused him to collapse to death in terror

Owww..Thor got there before me...but i got to ask this too....see Thors question, mine is the same.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Thorvir said:

Wait, how was it determined that the soldier died from seeing a "ghost" of a bear if he was dead and couldn't confirm what killed him?

E. L. Swifte, who was a keeper of the Crown Jewels in the 19th century, recorded one of the most interesting and fullest descriptions of a haunting within the tower. He and his family were sitting at a candlelit dinner in his room in the Martin Tower in 1817, when his wife spotted something on the other side of the room. She cried out in alarm and Swifte turned round to see a cylindrical object resembling a glass tube, filled with bubbling blue fluid. The strange apparition started to move and came round behind his wife, who was still sitting at the table. She cried out that it had tried to grab her, and Swifte let fly at it with a chair, which passed straight through the object. The cylinder then receded backwards and disappeared.

Swifte was also a confidant in another ghostly oft quoted sighting; apparently a sentry on guard in what is now the Martin Tower, witnessed the apparition of a bear coming from out of the Jewel Room. He stabbed at it with his bayonet, which passed through the apparition and embedded in a door, whereupon the bear promptly disappeared. The sentry died a few days later, possibly of shock, but he had already confided in Swifte and another sentry who verified his story. The sighting has been dated to January in the year 1815 or 1816.

http://www.mysteriousbritain.co.uk/england/greater-london/hauntings/the-tower-of-london.html

Arbella Stuart, James I's cousin who married William Seymour, the nephew of England's Nine Day Queen Lady Jane Grey, also haunts the Tower.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Black Monk said:

E. L. Swifte, who was a keeper of the Crown Jewels in the 19th century, recorded one of the most interesting and fullest descriptions of a haunting within the tower. He and his family were sitting at a candlelit dinner in his room in the Martin Tower in 1817, when his wife spotted something on the other side of the room. She cried out in alarm and Swifte turned round to see a cylindrical object resembling a glass tube, filled with bubbling blue fluid. The strange apparition started to move and came round behind his wife, who was still sitting at the table. She cried out that it had tried to grab her, and Swifte let fly at it with a chair, which passed straight through the object. The cylinder then receded backwards and disappeared.

Swifte was also a confidant in another ghostly oft quoted sighting; apparently a sentry on guard in what is now the Martin Tower, witnessed the apparition of a bear coming from out of the Jewel Room. He stabbed at it with his bayonet, which passed through the apparition and embedded in a door, whereupon the bear promptly disappeared. The sentry died a few days later, possibly of shock, but he had already confided in Swifte and another sentry who verified his story. The sighting has been dated to January in the year 1815 or 1816.

http://www.mysteriousbritain.co.uk/england/greater-london/hauntings/the-tower-of-london.html

Arbella Stuart, James I's cousin who married William Seymour, the nephew of England's Nine Day Queen Lady Jane Grey, also haunts the Tower.

With all the blood, death and intrigue the Tower of London has been involved with in its 900-year history, there is little wonder that it has the reputation 

This is the Tower of London....superstition, beliefs, torture and ravens were an everyday occurance then.  its just the tortures which had gone today.

all these alleged sightings and we have no concrete evidence...but i do like the stories as I have been there many times and always liked to 'get in the zone of the times'  ...excluding the ideas of torture.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Black Monk said:

Ah, thank you for that info.  Of course, they did not see a ghost, but it's still a neat story to read about anyway.

The two princes in the tower is one of London's most enduring mysteries - but this photograph could show their ghosts.

Captured by a medium and psychic artist, the picture appears to show the two famous princes in the Tower of London - thought to have been murdered by their uncle, Richard III.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/spooky-snap-show-ghosts-two-6379545

Edited by Black Monk

How come all the most interesting ghost pictures are so fuzzy? Or was that from being blown up?

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 7:45 AM, brlesq1 said:

How come all the most interesting ghost pictures are so fuzzy? Or was that from being blown up?

This is mostly because ghost photos are taken on the spot from grainy cell-phone cameras. Most people don't walk around with high-end digital cameras with 18x optical zoom and HD video recording capabilities. I have such a camera, and while it takes phenomenal photographs, I don't carry it around with me everywhere. Most people just make due with lower-end $50 or so cameras which are ok for casual use but don't get you the best images.  I have yet to capture any ghostly forms beyond a few isolated orbs, which aren't always indicative of a ghostly presence. But I still have my hopes up.

Sorry, got a little sidetracked. Blowing up and image can also make it grainy, especially if its not a fine-grain image to begin with. And chances are this image was blown-up, given the high amount of pixilation.  The bad thing about this is that a highly pixilated image leads itself very well to "matrixing", or seeing a recognizable pattern in a jumble of randomized pixels. The pattern in this case being a face.

On 1/8/2017 at 3:24 AM, South Alabam said:

His face looks more like a painting than a real ghost face.

What's a "real ghost face'? :) 

9 hours ago, Thorvir said:

What's a "real ghost face'? :) 

Well, I was going to say real face, but since it was purported to be a ghost, I said real "ghost" face. :lol:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, South Alabam said:

Well, I was going to say real face, but since it was purported to be a ghost, I said real "ghost" face. :lol:

Ok, I thought that you were referring to a specific type of expression that an alleged ghost would have.

Most likely something like "hey, I'm surprised that everyone thinks I'm a real thing" kind of look.

• Like 1

On 1/8/2017 at 0:45 PM, brlesq1 said:

Not in this case anyway, King Edward the V wasn't blown up, that would have been too conspicuous. 

14 minutes ago, oldrover said:

Not in this case anyway, King Edward the V wasn't blown up, that would have been too conspicuous.

:lol:

• Like 1

On 10/01/2017 at 9:34 AM, oldrover said:

Nobody knows what happened to him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Black Monk said:

And probably cannot even say that their Uncle Richard, did have them killed, or killed them himself. It does seem to be conjecture, and the most focused considering Richard was then crowned king, around the time. If they were killed, others could be and have been suspect. King Henry the seventh, or his mother. 

And yeah, maybe they weren't killed. Or they were spirited away and grew old and died in a far away country ( which would account for the disappearance. ) 

Here's the thing, there does seem to be a lot of spoken and written experiences tied in with the tower. And I have noticed a lot of varying photographs with interesting things in them. I do find it interesting how there seems to be a lot of them and have my conclusions about them. I would not like to have conclusions jumped to, on both sides. I think it's great this lady published this for those interested in seeing them. ( I do feel suspicious of the 'Daily Mail' being the place to do that. ) But, that's me. 

The lady, seems to me, to be making assumptions and saying 'she believes' in which I wouldn't think it to be statements. ( I could be wrong, if she did make claims that look like statements. ) But, I see her stating it as beliefs, as she has a right to. 

How ever, with that being said, I myself find this of further study for me. I do feel, it could be anything. ( and yes I do believe the boy's face in the picture looks much younger than the 12 year old uncrowned king. ) My first thought was, he's alone. Usually, I have read about sightings of the two lost princes being together in sightings. Maybe he another child who died of an illness. If that is the case. I know, that whether that is the ghost of King Edward V or another child, I hate the idea of their spirits being stuck there all of this time. (Again, if this is the case) 

Edited by Stubbly_Dooright

20 hours ago, Black Monk said:

Apparently he was assisnated by a assasin hired by one of his uncles. Years later the guy confessed during a battle. Cant remmember the whole story  but it is interesting