Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The (Forever) 27 Club

Esperanza

I am doing and editorial on the 27 club and I already know what is going on but I just want to here everyone's opinion on this topic. I just feel like talking about it. 

Well, how about telling us what this club entails? Not all of us are familiar with it. (like myself, for starters)

Edited by Ryu
  • Like 2

Well the 27 Club is a group of famous musicians who have mysteriously died at the age of 27. Some of the victims have died with a white lighter in their pocket and it is now considered bad luck for modern musicians to carry it with them. Anyways, people now believe that these people have sold their soul to the devil to gain fame and fortune. In return, they die at 27. 

The 27 Club is a term that refers to the belief that an unusually high number of popular musicians and other artists have died at age 27

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/27_Club

If this is what you mean, yes there were a few, but there were a few who also died at 33, 37, 38, 39,  Their lifestyles were  certainly a  contributing factor. for many.

But yep, there sure are a lot at that age. 

9 minutes ago, Esperanza said:

people now believe that these people have sold their soul to the devil to gain fame and fortune.

Nah....just down to too many drugs and crazy driving.

• Like 3

Well it is just a conspiracy theory so no real answer. But if you do some deep research on each person who died, they have joined cults, tried satanic rituals, and dabbling in stuff like that. So some compare them to the book Dr. Faustus.

11 minutes ago, Esperanza said:

Well the 27 Club is a group of famous musicians who have mysteriously died at the age of 27. Some of the victims have died with a white lighter in their pocket and it is now considered bad luck for modern musicians to carry it with them. Anyways, people now believe that these people have sold their soul to the devil to gain fame and fortune. In return, they die at 27. 

I've heard of this before... I had no idea it actually had a name though. I had no idea that white bic lighters were supposed to be bad luck till now either.

I read through the wikipedia entry... The sold their soul to the devil thing makes more sense. Robert Johnson, perhaps one of the most famous musicians is early on the list. Jimi Hendrix and a lot of the musicians of his era were into some weird stuff sometimes, and often touted as making the devils music among other weird claims. I don't know a lot of the names on the list, but I rather guess similar notions in various forms were said about them too. Or at least a lot of them. Connections to the devil be it selling the soul, making his music, worshiping him, and so on seems to be sort of a popular notion. Probably in great part because a lot of those musicians did do other weird stuff with their lives.

An interesting thing to note... There is a goodly handful of other folks that famously are purported to have sold their souls to the devil. Almost all of them lived to be a great deal older- Robert Johnson seems to be a rare youngling. There is also a pretty large year gap between other historic accounts and the much more modern version of it with Robert- Perhaps those old folks knew something about dealing with the devil that was lost on the younger generation :devil:

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Lilly said:

You do realize I posted that link right above? LOL

Yeah I know...I was reading the article,  (while you were putting your) , then C&P`ed it then saw it was the same as yours and then thought Ah. Sorry, you were too quick for me and I could not be assed to find anything else...that one sufficed.

1 hour ago, Esperanza said:

But some of the people who supposedly died with the white bic lighter died before it was invented. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rashore said:

There is also a pretty large year gap between other historic accounts and the much more modern version of it with Robert- Perhaps those old folks knew something about dealing with the devil that was lost on the younger generation

Perhaps those old folks knew how to handle their drugs and cars a lot better. .. I do not actually mean that flippantly. There is a "sad" connection among most of them..

further down the wiki link it says

"There may well be a 27 Club of accursed musicians, but the 74 Club is more popular."[18] A 2015 article in The Independent also provided statistical evidence that popular musicians are not more likely to die at the age of 27

12 minutes ago, SecretSanta said:

But some of the people who supposedly died with the white bic lighter died before it was invented. 

That is a good point- The bic lighter didn't come out till 1973. Jimi and crowd died before then.

I wonder if this might be a lore shift point? I suppose the pre-bic (and Cricket) equivalent would have been white lighters like white cased zippos or "house lighters" in white casings. But with the introduction of the handy disposable lighter, the other lighters became less popular... So the lore shifted from white cases to white disposables. Or probably more likely- it's lore that didn't develop till well after that, and probably sprang up with the Kurt Cobain revival of this. It would neatly explain why it includes folks that were dead before the invention.

Its a myth

The Curse of the White Lighter
An unsubstantiated pop culture rumor holds that Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison, Janis Joplin, and Kurt Cobain all passed away with white BIC lighters in their pockets.

Claim: Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison, Janis Joplin, and Kurt Cobain all died with white Bic lighters in their pockets.
FALSE

Origin:A popular pop culture superstition holds that a white BIC disposable lighter is bad luck. While there are many reasons why people believe this, the most commonly offered reason is that several members of the "27 club" (musicians who all passed away at the age of 27) — including Kurt Cobain, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, and Jim Morrison — all allegedly had this product in their pockets when they died.

Continue reading

http://www.snopes.com/white-bic-lighter-deaths/

1 hour ago, rashore said:

I had no idea that white bic lighters were supposed to be bad luck till now either.

Really?

Brb I have some lighters to toss...

2 hours ago, Lilly said:

It's smoking that will kill you, not the lighters.

A lighter without a cigarette can kill you, but a cigarette without a lighter.....

On 09/01/2017 at 7:18 AM, Esperanza said:

Some of the victims have died with a white lighter in their pocket and it is now considered bad luck for modern musicians to carry it with them.

Wouldn't it only be bad luck to carry one if you are 27 years old? 

• Like 1

A lucky rabbit's foot will cancel the curse. Wasn't too lucky for the rabbit, but hey, it works eventually. Sometimes. Maybe.

On 08/01/2017 at 8:33 PM, Esperanza said:

Well it is just a conspiracy theory so no real answer. But if you do some deep research on each person who died, they have joined cults, tried satanic rituals, and dabbling in stuff like that. So some compare them to the book Dr. Faustus.

They also all had haircuts. And wore trousers. And drank coffee. 

This whole "theory" is an exercise in raging confirmation bias. For every musician who dies at 27 there are literally millions who don't. Many of whom have been "dabbling in stuff like that".

And the white lighters thing is nonsense.

Edited by Emma_Acid
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, South Alabam said:

Drugs man, drugs.

Of course.