Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 3
Claire.

Watch a Baby Eagle Peep and Eat in Real Time

207 posts in this topic

Eagle Cam! Watch a Baby Eagle Peep and Eat in Real Time

A pair of bald eagles rang in the new year with the birth of an eaglet, and the whole happy affair was captured on a live stream on the eve of 2017. After about a month of waiting, bald eagle Harriet and her mate, dubbed M15, met their new hatchling on Dec. 31. People around the world watched the eaglet, known as E9, hatch via the Southwest Florida Eagle Cam. The baby eagle officially emerged into the world at 7:33 a.m. EST. According to the Eagle Cam's blog, E9 beganthe hatching process two days earlier. The live stream, which remains online, offers a 24/7 view of the nest. Since the eaglet's hatching, the feed has captured E9 taking its first bites of food and gaining strength.

Read more and view the live stream: Live Science

The eaglet is adorable!

5 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw that! That is what I like to see. :)

Thanks Claire

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't stop watching this. I checked in a few times on them yesterday and this morning. The little one was restless most of the night and kept its mom up. It finally fell asleep only to wake up shortly afterwards. It must have been exhausted this morning because its sleeping now... finally.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They had sushi for lunch! And now the little one is chirping its little head off and trying to settle in for a nap.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay I'm totally freaking out. I don't see the little eaglet anywhere. Both parents are there. The mom is digging around the nest with her beak and crying. I can see one unhatched egg.. but that's it. No eaglet.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh jeez, there it is. It's mom was sitting on top of it. Stupid little thing has been getting too close to the edge of the nest and giving me one heart attack after another. It's now hoovering the bits of fish its mom is feeding it.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Claire. said:

Okay I'm totally freaking out. I don't see the little eaglet anywhere. Both parents are there. The mom is digging around the nest with her beak and crying. I can see one unhatched egg.. but that's it. No eaglet.

I can see the little sucker and a big one now.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

4 minutes ago, toast said:

I can see the little sucker and a big one now.

It's a cutie isn't it? Its mom caught a large fish earlier this morning and they've been snacking on it all day. Most of it's gone now with just a bit of the tail remaining. edit: Or maybe the dad brought the fish as I doubt the mom would leave the nest. I don't know for sure as I missed that part.

Edited by Claire.
2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got that link pinned to my toolbar so I can keep up! :)

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Claire. said:

It's a cutie isn't it?

Yeah and I`ve heard him chirping!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What I find totally amazing is watching the eagles (both the mother and father) take care of their little one. The father flies back and forth (most likely out getting food and watching out for predators), and the mother stays with the eaglet fussing over it, feeding it, and constantly making adjustments to the nest. It's fascinating to see how they function as a family unit.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh great, the stupid little thing is way too close to the edge of the nest, and it's parents are nowhere to be seen. I can't handle this kind of stress.

gzhQqrn.png?1

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yikes! I'm hoping he's holding on tight with those little talons of his.

Also, I wonder if the other egg is a 'dud' (not going to hatch) as the parents seem to have left the nest for some time now.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We check in regularly at our house. E9 has really grown! :) 

The other egg isn't viable.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not so sure I like 'E9', makes the poor little guy sound like a Borg for goodness sakes!  I am pleased that he seems to be doing so well though.

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Claire. said:

Oh great, the stupid little thing is way too close to the edge of the nest, and it's parents are nowhere to be seen. I can't handle this kind of stress.

gzhQqrn.png?1

Oh my goodness! This reminds me of what happened the other day when I was on break at work. I was sitting in my car and there is an apartment complex across the street. One of the tenants opened their window and a few minutes later two cats climbed out and started to explore the roof. One returned and the other stayed outside. Then the tenant closed the window and one was trapped outside! I ran across the street to knock on the door of the person to let them know the cat was still outside, and just as I did they opened the window to let the second cat back in. Then they informed me I was knocking on the wrong door! :wacko:

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Rinna said:

Oh my goodness! This reminds me of what happened the other day when I was on break at work. I was sitting in my car and there is an apartment complex across the street. One of the tenants opened their window and a few minutes later two cats climbed out and started to explore the roof. One returned and the other stayed outside. Then the tenant closed the window and one was trapped outside! I ran across the street to knock on the door of the person to let them know the cat was still outside, and just as I did they opened the window to let the second cat back in. Then they informed me I was knocking on the wrong door! :wacko:

Rinna that's just too funny. Not the two cats on the roof, but you knocking on the wrong door! It was good of you to run over to help. My heart would have been pounding out of my chest, that's how scared for them I would have been. As for E9, I go through that every single day with the little brat. He's starting to get a little too curious and I'm worried something might happen to him. I don't know if you've watched much of the live stream, but it's just incredible seeing him grow and how well his parents take care of him.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Claire. said:

Rinna that's just too funny. Not the two cats on the roof, but you knocking on the wrong door! It was good of you to run over to help. My heart would have been pounding out of my chest, that's how scared for them I would have been. As for E9, I go through that every single day with the little brat. He's starting to get a little too curious and I'm worried something might happen to him. I don't know if you've watched much of the live stream, but it's just incredible seeing him grow and how well his parents take care of him.

I don't know if I believe you think the parents are doing a good job. A few posts ago you seemed ready to report them to the Eagle Child Protection Agency.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

12 minutes ago, Rinna said:

I don't know if I believe you think the parents are doing a good job. A few posts ago you seemed ready to report them to the Eagle Child Protection Agency.

Indeed I was, especially the other day when I saw his mom, Harriet, clawing through a pile of feathers. I totally freaked thinking a predator had torn little E9 to shreds. Starting sobbing my little heart out, only to notice a few minutes later (when the camera panned the nest) that E9 was napping and the dismembered bird was something his parents had brought home for dinner.

Edited by Claire.
Missed a word :)
2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Claire. said:

Indeed I was, especially the other day I saw his mom, Harriet, clawing through a pile of feathers. I totally freaked thinking a predator had torn little E9 to shreds. Starting sobbing my little heart out, only to notice a few minutes later (when the camera panned the nest) that E9 was napping and the dismembered bird was something his parents had brought home for dinner.

Like me last night. It was 2AM and E9 was no place to be seen! I called my wife over to look and thought OH NO!

Harriet was just laying over "Him" and i finally saw "his" little beak poking out.

I have noticed that he is noticing his surroundings more and more these days. He seems to be watching his parents fly in and out and looking down at the ground. I'm going to give the little guy the benefit of the doubt though, I think he is smarter than we fear sometimes. (here's hoping) ;)

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So..I guess Eagles like...share parenting responsibilities? I hear everyone mentioning the dad, they aren't one of those species where the dad disappears after mating?

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Rinna said:

So..I guess Eagles like...share parenting responsibilities? I hear everyone mentioning the dad, they aren't one of those species where the dad disappears after mating?

Yes they do share responsibilities, and they even take turns watching E9 while the other is out fetching dinner (usually fish). Harriet was with another male, Ozzie, who died from injuries he sustained fighting another male eagle. Then she met M15 and they had E9 together. And to be fair to them, I noticed that E9 is never left alone. Even though they're not in the nest with him, they're watching from a branch or two just above. It's really quite amazing to see them work together to raise their little one.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Fresh fish being served now as we speak. :)

Edit; That nearby pond is great for fishing!

Edited by .ZZ.
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes I just saw. There's never a shortage of food. E9 doesn't seem too hungry though, he keeps turning away from it.

And hey look, Dad just got home.

ZKw2E9s.png?1

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've seen him reject what looked like bones and twigs from time to time :)

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 3

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.