Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Something pretended to be my mom

HollandSmith

Guys, this happened to me about a year ago. Please someone explain this to me. It still gives me the creeps.

I was naturally home for Christmas ( I was in my last year in College). Since both my mom and dad are working and wouldn't be able to celebrate the "christmas spirit" until the eve itself; I was always alone in the house (I'm the only child). One afternoon, it was December 22 around 5 pm, I heard a car pulled in the driveway so I naturally got up and opened the door for my mom or dad whoever arrived first. It was my mom; she was walking towards me with groceries in hand and an umbrella on the other.

Thinking it was odd for her to be home so early, I shrugged at the thought and assumed she had a half-day or something. I got the groceries from her hand and placed it on the kitchen counter. She asked me if I already cooked rice (we're asians). I grinned and told her no and she smiled and instructed me to do so since my dad will be home soon and "he would be starving," she said. After setting up the rice cooker, I went to the loo to pee. It was just a few steps away from the kitchen. After that, my mom was nowhere in sight so I just assumed she changed her clothes or something and decided to just flop on the couch. Several minutes had passed and she still hasn't come down (she's diabetic) so I was beginning to worry a little bit. I climbed up the stairs and checked every room but she wasn't there. I ran back downstairs into the kitchen only to see no one and the bag of groceries gone.

I rang up my mom, half-expecting to hear a cellphone ring around the house but I didn't. She picked up a few rings later. "Hey, Ma. Where you at?" and she answered, "I'm still at work, duh. We'll be home soon. Have you cooked rice? Your dad will be home soon. He would be starving." At first I didn't believe her, I was grinning at the prank she made. She got mad and facetimed me. She scolded me for calling her a liar and a prankster. I was just staring at her the whole time. My heart was pounding so fast in my chest that I almost couldn't breath. She was facetiming me from the firm! Still feigning for hope, I called Tita Maria through face-time (real name withheld), her officemate.

She was with my mom. Several moments must have passed before I realized I was still in the house with whomever it was that was pretending to be my mom. I slowly walked towards the kitchen, pulled the plug of our rice cooker; slowly and silently so I wouldn't catch the attention of whatever it was. Still slowly, I walked towards the door through the living room. The floor was squeaking loudly throughout the silence of our house. My heart was pounding and my hands were so cold I can feel them going itchy and numb. I was already opening the door halfway when I heard a step from the stairs and a hum near my ear. I did not even bother closing the door behind me. I sprinted outside down the road with no shoes on. It was raining but I didn't mind. It was only after a few blocks that I felt sharp, dull pain all over me.

My feet was hurting. I got a pneumonia because of that and was admitted to the hospital. The local police investigated our house and saw no sign of force entry nor was there any sign of theft. They told me I was just imagining things or I was sleeping and dreaming. To this day, I still have no idea what happened and if you're wondering If I visited them last Christmas, I did. On the 24th and left after midnight. I refused to believe that was a dream. I was awake. I was not sleeping.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HollandSmith said:

I was naturally home for Christmas ( I was in my last year in College). Since both my mom and dad are working and wouldn't be able to celebrate the "christmas spirit" until the eve itself; I was always alone in the house (I'm the only child). One afternoon, it was December 22 around 5 pm

Hi and welcome to UM,

just a couple of questions to get myself into the zone of what happened:

Were your parents away for 2 days as christmas eve is on the 24th, so were you on your own from the 22nd?

3 hours ago, HollandSmith said:

Thinking it was odd for her to be home so early,

if you were home for Christmas, this means you are not living there all the time , so how can you be sure it was odd for her to come home early?

Edited by freetoroam

She was facetiming me from the firm! Still feigning for hope, I called Tita Maria through face-time (real name withheld), her officemate. "

:huh:

9 hours ago, HollandSmith said:

My feet was hurting. I got a pneumonia because of that and was admitted to the hospital. The local police investigated our house and saw no sign of force entry nor was there any sign of theft. They told me I was just imagining things or I was sleeping and dreaming. To this day, I still have no idea what happened and if you're wondering If I visited them last Christmas, I did. On the 24th and left after midnight. I refused to believe that was a dream. I was awake. I was not sleeping.

I trust you'll understand why It's difficult to believe that an 'entity' (for lack of a better word) that's an exact replica or your mom, would come into your home, hand you a bag of groceries and ask you to get dinner started. Indeed, there are several aspects of your story that simply don't wash.

Why, for instance, were you concerned about your mother being upstairs alone for such a very short time? Diabetics are perfectly capable of functioning on their own. If she was at all hypoglycemic when she got home, she (and you) would have instantly known. Also, your bout of pneumonia could not have been caused by an outdoor run in the rain, unless you somehow came into contact with the requisite germs.  And what was the entity doing whilst you were getting the rice cooker on? You mentioned it was there until after you went to the bathroom. So you should have had at least several more minutes with it. And in the few minutes you had after your trip to the loo, did you not think to put the groceries away? And surely if you thought your mom was home you would call out for her and/or check outside before picking up the phone?

So um yeah, I don't know what to say, but if you indeed had this experience, my guess is that it was a hallucination in which you simply played out a likely scenario between you and your mom. It could also have been a dream, but given everything that supposedly happened, I'm having a difficult time reconciling the timeline of activity and cannot at this point separate what really happened from what did not.

• Like 4

Have you had these experiences before or just once?

Interesting story and of course none of us here can tell you for certain what happened. All we can do is throw out theories normal and paranormal/

A timeline mix up?

A doppelganger? (An exact double that exists for a short time). There are some pretty compelling cases of this happening to other people too.

Hallucinations are a fairly common symptom of pneumonia (though they're more common in older people). My guess is that you were already in the early stages of illness when the incident occurred.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, HollandSmith said:

Guys, this happened to me about a year ago. Please someone explain this to me. It still gives me the creeps. 

By a year I'm assuming last month.

I was naturally home for Christmas ( I was in my last year in College). Since both my mom and dad are working and wouldn't be able to celebrate the "christmas spirit" until the eve itself; I was always alone in the house (I'm the only child). One afternoon, it was December 22 around 5 pm, I heard a car pulled in the driveway so I naturally got up and opened the door for my mom or dad whoever arrived first. It was my mom; she was walking towards me with groceries in hand and an umbrella on the other.

Thinking it was odd for her to be home so early, I shrugged at the thought and assumed she had a half-day or something. I got the groceries from her hand and placed it on the kitchen counter. She asked me if I already cooked rice (we're asians). I grinned and told her no and she smiled and instructed me to do so since my dad will be home soon and "he would be starving," she said. After setting up the rice cooker, I went to the loo to pee. It was just a few steps away from the kitchen. After that, my mom was nowhere in sight so I just assumed she changed her clothes or something and decided to just flop on the couch. Several minutes had passed and she still hasn't come down (she's diabetic) so I was beginning to worry a little bit. I climbed up the stairs and checked every room but she wasn't there. I ran back downstairs into the kitchen only to see no one and the bag of groceries gone.

Going out of my element for a moment and first suggest bi-location. Second suggestion is a hypnopomic experience (waking dream), perhaps false memory? Another thought was this was a semi-lucid dream in which your subconscious was telling you to cook the rice.

I rang up my mom, half-expecting to hear a cellphone ring around the house but I didn't. She picked up a few rings later. "Hey, Ma. Where you at?" and she answered, "I'm still at work, duh. We'll be home soon. Have you cooked rice? Your dad will be home soon. He would be starving." At first I didn't believe her, I was grinning at the prank she made. She got mad and facetimed me. She scolded me for calling her a liar and a prankster. I was just staring at her the whole time. My heart was pounding so fast in my chest that I almost couldn't breath. She was facetiming me from the firm! Still feigning for hope, I called Tita Maria through face-time (real name withheld), her officemate.

What a minute I'm a tad confused about something. So you were grinning about the prank she made, but how did she know you were grinning. Unless you were already using facetime with her. Then you facetime someone else she works with to validate your mothers claim. 

She was with my mom. Several moments must have passed before I realized I was still in the house with whomever it was that was pretending to be my mom. I slowly walked towards the kitchen, pulled the plug of our rice cooker; slowly and silently so I wouldn't catch the attention of whatever it was. Still slowly, I walked towards the door through the living room. The floor was squeaking loudly throughout the silence of our house. My heart was pounding and my hands were so cold I can feel them going itchy and numb. I was already opening the door halfway when I heard a step from the stairs and a hum near my ear. I did not even bother closing the door behind me. I sprinted outside down the road with no shoes on. It was raining but I didn't mind. It was only after a few blocks that I felt sharp, dull pain all over me.

Yet you didn't call the police about a possible intruder. Odd.

So the police did come. When was this? After you ran out of the house? Kinda sounds like a waking dream.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, papageorge1 said:

A doppelganger? (An exact double that exists for a short time).

This is the fiction side of it. ^

There is also the term in which someone has a double, which there are cases of,,,there is even a website for people looking for their doppelganger.

There are some pretty compelling cases of this happening to other people too.

Interesting, could you give me some examples? bare in mind that the OP did not see a double of himself, he allegedly saw his mother before she got home, his mother did not see her alleged double.

Edited by freetoroam

Interesting story and of course none of us here can tell you for certain what happened

you are right, especially as the OP has not been back to answer any question.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

you are right,

I don't hear that from one of you guys everyday! I had to quote it!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

This is the fiction side of it. ^

There is also the term in which someone has a double, which there are cases of,,,there is even a website for people looking for their doppelganger.

Interesting, could you give me some examples? bare in mind that the OP did not see a double of himself, he allegedly saw his mother before she got home, his mother did not see her alleged double.

From Wise Geek: A doppelganger — also written "doppelgaenger" or "doubleganger" — is quite simply a double. It can be a ghost or physical apparition, but it is usually a source of psychological anxiety for the person who sees it. The word comes from the German Doppelgänger, literally meaning "double-goer," and has found widespread use in popular culture.

EMILIE SAGÉE

One of the most fascinating reports of a doppelganger comes from American writer Robert Dale Owen who was told the story by Julie von Güldenstubbe, the second daughter of the Baron von Güldenstubbe. In 1845, when von Güldenstubbe was 13, she attended Pensionat von Neuwelcke, an exclusive girl's school near Wolmar in what is now Latvia. One of her teachers was a 32-year-old French woman named Emilie Sagée. And although the school's administration was quite pleased with Sagée's performance, she soon became the object of rumor and odd speculation. Sagée, it seemed, had a double that would appear and disappear in full view of the students.

In the middle of class one day, while Sagée was writing on the blackboard, her exact double appeared beside her. The doppelganger precisely copied the teacher's every move as she wrote, except that it did not hold any chalk. The event was witnessed by 13 students in the classroom. A similar incident was reported at dinner one evening when Sagée's doppelganger was seen standing behind her, mimicking the movements of her eating, although it held no utensils.

The doppelganger did not always echo her movements, however. On several occasions, Sagée would be seen in one part of the school when it was known that she was in another at that time. The most astonishing instance of this took place in full view of the entire student body of 42 students on a summer day in 1846. The girls were all assembled in the school hall for their sewing and embroidery lessons.

As they sat at the long tables working, they could clearly see Sagée in the school's garden gathering flowers. Another teacher was supervising the children. When this teacher left the room to talk to the headmistress, Sagée's doppelganger appeared in her chair -- while the real Sagée could still be seen in the garden. The students noted that Sagée's movements in the garden looked tired while the doppelganger sat motionless. Two brave girls approached the phantom and tried to touch it, but felt an odd resistance in the air surrounding it. One girl actually stepped between the teacher's chair and the table, passing right through the apparition, which remained motionless. It then slowly vanished.

Sagée claimed never to have seen the doppelganger herself, but said that whenever it was said to appear, she felt drained and fatigued. Her physical color even seemed to pale at those times.

Posting just to see if the fella comes back

But I will add that even if this is all real that since it's been a year since then without obviously nonething bad happened then there is no reason to get worked up about it anyways

Edited by spartan max2

13 hours ago, freetoroam said:

Hi and welcome to UM,

just a couple of questions to get myself into the zone of what happened:

Were your parents away for 2 days as christmas eve is on the 24th, so were you on your own from the 22nd?

if you were home for Christmas, this means you are not living there all the time , so how can you be sure it was odd for her to come home early?

Hi, yes. To answer your questions

1.) Yes, I was alone. I believe it was a Monday or a Tuesday so my mom and dad went to work.

2.) My mom is a lawyer. She's been working on that firm for at least, I think, going 12 years now. Normally, I mean most days, she would stay on that firm the whole day and arrive home around 7-8 pm. I was in my last year in College when that happened so I wasn't around the whole time.

6 hours ago, Claire. said:

I trust you'll understand why It's difficult to believe that an 'entity' (for lack of a better word) that's an exact replica or your mom, would come into your home, hand you a bag of groceries and ask you to get dinner started. Indeed, there are several aspects of your story that simply don't wash.

Why, for instance, were you concerned about your mother being upstairs alone for such a very short time? Diabetics are perfectly capable of functioning on their own. If she was at all hypoglycemic when she got home, she (and you) would have instantly known. Also, your bout of pneumonia could not have been caused by an outdoor run in the rain, unless you somehow came into contact with the requisite germs.  And what was the entity doing whilst you were getting the rice cooker on? You mentioned it was there until after you went to the bathroom. So you should have had at least several more minutes with it. And in the few minutes you had after your trip to the loo, did you not think to put the groceries away? And surely if you thought your mom was home you would call out for her and/or check outside before picking up the phone?

So um yeah, I don't know what to say, but if you indeed had this experience, my guess is that it was a hallucination in which you simply played out a likely scenario between you and your mom. It could also have been a dream, but given everything that supposedly happened, I'm having a difficult time reconciling the timeline of activity and cannot at this point separate what really happened from what did not.

Hello. Thank you for taking the time. To answer your questions:

1.) My mother needs to be injected with insulin everyday, at least twice I think. She works everyday with my dad's office nearby. My dad would always check on my mom because when I was younger, I mean in high school, we found her unconscious on the loo because her blood sugar dropped to low. When she's home, we always make sure that she's not alone. There was also this instance that she didn't wake up one morning for a long time- we were shaking all her body- she responded minutes later. The doctor said this may lead to coma.

2.) I know. That's what I wrote on the story. I got pneumonia because of that and by that I mean, me, running in the rain.

3.) Yes. She was looking for something in her bag as she usually does to place her keys in the counter and her cellphone because she always forget to bring them- that's was she was doing when I went to the loo.

4.) I would have if the groceries are still there but they weren't. This was also the part I told the police that they concluded that I was just in some kind of hallucination.

5.) I would have checked her outside if it wasn't raining. So naturally, I called her phone expecting to hear a ring somewhere in the house,

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hawkin said:

Have you had these experiences before or just once?

I haven't. This was the first time and when I visited them last Christmas, everything was normal.

3 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Hi. Thank you for taking time.

1.) By a year, I mean it happened on December 22, 2015. I visited them last christmas (last month), everything was perfectly normal.

2.) I was grinning to myself. It was until later that when she facetimed me that I was just staring at her the whole time- I was assessing if she was indeed telling the truth.

3.) My neighbour did after I ran into her house soaked in the rain. We called the police and they didn't believe me either. They came and told me I was in some kind of hallucination and yes- sleepwalking. They called my parents and when they came home, i told them the story. They were also skeptical. I mean, it was weird. If I hadn't been in that situation, I would just snort at anyone who would relate me a similar story. 

2 hours ago, freetoroam said:

you are right, especially as the OP has not been back to answer any question.

I'm sorry for the late reply.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

From Wise Geek: A doppelganger — also written "doppelgaenger" or "doubleganger" — is quite simply a double. It can be a ghost or physical apparition, but it is usually a source of psychological anxiety for the person who sees it. The word comes from the German Doppelgänger, literally meaning "double-goer," and has found widespread use in popular culture.

EMILIE SAGÉE

One of the most fascinating reports of a doppelganger comes from American writer Robert Dale Owen who was told the story by Julie von Güldenstubbe, the second daughter of the Baron von Güldenstubbe. In 1845, when von Güldenstubbe was 13, she attended Pensionat von Neuwelcke, an exclusive girl's school near Wolmar in what is now Latvia. One of her teachers was a 32-year-old French woman named Emilie Sagée. And although the school's administration was quite pleased with Sagée's performance, she soon became the object of rumor and odd speculation. Sagée, it seemed, had a double that would appear and disappear in full view of the students.

In the middle of class one day, while Sagée was writing on the blackboard, her exact double appeared beside her. The doppelganger precisely copied the teacher's every move as she wrote, except that it did not hold any chalk. The event was witnessed by 13 students in the classroom. A similar incident was reported at dinner one evening when Sagée's doppelganger was seen standing behind her, mimicking the movements of her eating, although it held no utensils.

The doppelganger did not always echo her movements, however. On several occasions, Sagée would be seen in one part of the school when it was known that she was in another at that time. The most astonishing instance of this took place in full view of the entire student body of 42 students on a summer day in 1846. The girls were all assembled in the school hall for their sewing and embroidery lessons.

As they sat at the long tables working, they could clearly see Sagée in the school's garden gathering flowers. Another teacher was supervising the children. When this teacher left the room to talk to the headmistress, Sagée's doppelganger appeared in her chair -- while the real Sagée could still be seen in the garden. The students noted that Sagée's movements in the garden looked tired while the doppelganger sat motionless. Two brave girls approached the phantom and tried to touch it, but felt an odd resistance in the air surrounding it. One girl actually stepped between the teacher's chair and the table, passing right through the apparition, which remained motionless. It then slowly vanished.

Sagée claimed never to have seen the doppelganger herself, but said that whenever it was said to appear, she felt drained and fatigued. Her physical color even seemed to pale at those times.

I don't know what to believe, either. So it could have been a ghost? But why? For what?

While there maybe be a reasonable explanation for what happened. I'm glad you had enough sense to play it safe. It's also a good thing there wasn't an intruder. :tu: Thumbs up for using your head.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, spartan max2 said:

Posting just to see if the fella comes back

But I will add that even if this is all real that since it's been a year since then without obviously nonething bad happened then there is no reason to get worked up about it anyways

Yes. I've visited them last christmas and nothing happened. It doesn't scare me now, if I may be honest, I'm just baffled with the incident. I've never experienced that kind of thing before. I just shared this because maybe someone in here could explain to me what happened.

• Like 2

Just now, XenoFish said:

While there maybe be a reasonable explanation for what happened. I'm glad you had enough sense to play it safe. It's also a good thing there wasn't an intruder. :tu: Thumbs up for using your head.

Thank you. I just want to know what happened. Whether it be some kind of hallucination or a weird dream or a real doppelganger. It just leaves some kind of annoying curiosity in me that I couldn't scratch off.

3 minutes ago, HollandSmith said:

I don't know what to believe, either. So it could have been a ghost? But why? For what?

I have no idea why? One thought is your mom had her mind intent on what she was going to do later, grocery shop and head home. She may have created a thought-form of herself doing it?? The doppelganger phenomena is something you can research but like I said originally, we will never know with certainty.

When your mom did come home, did it look like the same bag of groceries? (time-line slip theory)

2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Could've been a waking dream or even a very lucid dream. Since I'm not you I can only speculate. 

Probably. It was scary, though. Anyway, thank you for taking the time to answer. You have a good day!

• Like 2