Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Joint Pain? Don't Blame the Weather

Claire.

Joint Pain? Don't Blame the Weather

It's not uncommon for people to blame achy joints on the weather, but two new studies from Australia suggest that changes in air pressure or rainy days are not the culprits for your aches and pains. In the studies, both of which were conducted by researchers at The George Institute for Global Health at the University of Sydney in Australia, the scientists compared people's reports of pain to weather data from the Australian Bureau of Meteorology. The researchers found there were no links between the weather and people's reports of low back pain in one study, or knee arthritis in the other.

Read more: Live Science

Odd, seems chilly, rainy days are the only days ever, that I experience all my joints aching. Though I don't have arthritis, those days they all get achy and stiff at the same time. A hot shower cures it.

• Like 6

it will depend, back in my secondary school days, my maths teacher would get pains in cold weather conditions, this is because he had had a motorbike accident years earlier and had pin in his joints and some metal plates...trust me, the cold did affect him.

I broke my back  a few years ago, and when it is cold, I am in pain....I wish the researchers in the OP had asked me to take part in this study.

• Like 6

Well, those researchers aren't me and they shouldn't presume to speak for everyone.

If there is a lot of air pressure then it affects my back for example. My father has a sore tendon that really acts up when there is a large storm moving in, and he hasn't done anything to aggravate that tendon either.

• Like 5

I can't speak for joint pain but my ear ringing defintley increase when there are major pressure shifts in the weather.

I'm skeptical of these findings though. If I cared enough I would look into the methodology. But a lot of people complain when the pressure shifts 

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 6

Yeah, they didn't ask me to participate, either. I can always tell when it's going to rain within the next day or two, because my knees ache something awful.

• Like 4

Joints do have pressurised "vapour" in them, don't they, that's how cracking your knuckles makes that noise.

• Like 4

Diana L. Walcutt, Ph.D, in "Why Does Pain Get Worse When a Storm Is Coming?," correlates the physiological effects of approaching storms with the increased severity of colds and pain at night. "[O]ur bodies slow production of both adrenaline and cortisone in the evening so we can go to sleep. It’s part of our circadian rhythm. The downside is the fact that we don’t have these hormones that help us feel better, either. So, our cough gets worse, and our pain goes through the roof.

Something similar happens when a storm is coming. Did you ever know someone who could “smell” snow or rain before it came? What they “smell” is a change in the electrical charge in the air. It’s been described as a “metallic” smell. All atoms have either a positive or negative charge so they can bind to form molecules. As the barometer falls, the positive charge, or “ions” increase which causes a depletion of cortisone in the body. This happens to all creatures that have adrenal glands—in other words, all mammals."  

http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2009/04/30/why-does-pain-get-worse-when-a-storm-is-coming/

Whatever the explanation, I know changes in barometric pressure effect me in different ways.  For example, doesn’t it only seem natural that people would feel anxious about a severe storms' being imminent?  If devoid of such instincts, I recommend folks spend time observing wildlife and/or in the presence of livestock just prior to hot and cold air currents' colliding.

Edited by aka CAT
  • Like 3

Well I agree with the findings. I've had knee and spine surgeries. I have arthritis and other skeletal issues from damage and user error. 

People often ask me about this topic in conversation, and I've always said nope.  I have thought at times that my knees reacted to air pressure changes, but after many years of consideration and many, many storms, I have to say it's a non issue.  My knee issues started in my teens, I'm now in my late 40's.

With the back pain and the cold, I think in some cases this is a result of muscle tension as a normal reaction to the cold. As anyone with spine damage will know, muscles being tight, and/or in spasm is about the worst thing for the injury.  Just speaking from personal experience. I'm not trying to diagnose anyone.  

• Like 1

Putting heat on joints increases blood flow and by extension nutrition to them (joint fluid is simply filtrated blood), making them feel better.   We can conclude logically therefore that lower temperatures have the opposite effect.  

Rain means clouds, clouds mean less sun, less sun means less warmth, so it's easy to see that the weather gets blamed.   It's both true and false.

If your joints hurt during cold weather, then exercise.   All joints heal through motion.   A joint that can move is a joint that can heal.   It's not an accident that as exercise warms up the body it makes joints feel better.   What really destroys joints is sedentary lifestyle, all weather from best to worst still applies. 

• Like 4

Barometric pressure's measurable effect on fluids implies an effect upon life forms.

What percentage of the human body is water?  While the answer to that question varies according to

the source, it is safe to say that the majority of one's body is water.  Interestingly enough, though

women may be acutely aware of their periodically retaining more water, men's greater water content

accounts for their ability to consume about twice as much alcohol as women without added risk. 

In light of our being mostly liquid, consider the following:

Next, to construct a barometer, one might use one of the two methods following:

Btw, the above information is useful to fishermen, since many creatures including fish increase their 

food intake prior to storms.

Edited by aka CAT
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, aka CAT said:

Barometric pressure's measurable effect on fluids implies an effect upon life forms.

What percentage of the human body is water?  While the answer to that question varies according to

the source, it is safe to say that the majority of one's body is water.  Interestingly enough, though

women may be acutely aware of their periodically retaining more water, men's greater water content

accounts for their ability to consume about twice as much alcohol as women without added risk. 

In light of our being mostly liquid, consider the following:

Next, to construct a barometer, one might use one of the two methods following:

Btw, the above information is useful to fishermen, since many creatures including fish increase their 

food intake prior to storms.

I was given a Galileo thermometer with a storm barometer for a Christmas gift...pretty cool :tu:

2 hours ago, Yamato said:

Putting heat on joints increases blood flow and by extension nutrition to them (joint fluid is simply filtrated blood), making them feel better.   We can conclude logically therefore that lower temperatures have the opposite effect.  

Rain means clouds, clouds mean less sun, less sun means less warmth, so it's easy to see that the weather gets blamed.   It's both true and false.

If your joints hurt during cold weather, then exercise.   All joints heal through motion.   A joint that can move is a joint that can heal.   It's not an accident that as exercise warms up the body it makes joints feel better.   What really destroys joints is sedentary lifestyle, all weather from best to worst still applies. 

This is about exactly how i would explain it :tu:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CrimsonKing said:

I was given a Galileo thermometer with a storm barometer for a Christmas gift.

That is B).  Many of them are beautiful works of art.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Yamato said:

Yamato et al,

The subject of weathers' and, especially, of barometric pressures' effect on health
interests me for reasons quoted, paraphrased, added to and rearranged as follows:

• Low temps cause your blood vessels to narrow, meaning on the whole, blood pressure is lower in the summer.
  • [Blood viscosity, thickness, destabilizes blood sugar; hence, diabetics ...] have more trouble controlling their blood sugar during cold fronts.
  • Cold weather [as Yamato pointed out] can also cause painful changes in joint fluid thickness.
  • [People burn more calories during cold weather].
  • [Temperature swings tend to weaken animals’ immune systems in general, e.g. drastic temperature drops are equated with higher risks of colic in horses].
  • Each 1.8 degree Fahrenheit the temperature drops is associated with around 200 additional heart attacks nationwide.
  • [Self harm ...spikes] in the late spring and early summer while overall, sour moods are more likely on cold, cloudy days.
  • Cloudiness is [also] associated with affective disorder.
  • [High barometric pressure sometimes results in painful sinuses].
  • Hot, humid weather can make breathing difficult, particularly for people with preexisting lung conditions.
  • Changing seasons and [again] hot weather can exacerbate asthma and allergy symptoms [whereinto Spring] and air pollution [much factor].
  • Barometric pressure can be a headache for some [while causing others’ heads to spin owing to what is referred to as ‘seasonal vertigo’].
  • [Increased] exposure to bright light often triggers migraines.

https://weather.com/health/news/13-ways-weather-affects-your-health-without-you-knowing-20140613#/3

Edited by aka CAT
  • Like 5

20 minutes ago, aka CAT said:

Yamato et al,

The subject of weathers' and, especially, of barometric pressures' effect on health
interests me for reasons quoted, paraphrased, added to and rearranged as follows:

• Low temps cause your blood vessels to narrow, meaning on the whole, blood pressure is lower in the summer.
  • [Blood viscosity, thickness, destabilizes blood sugar; hence, diabetics ...] have more trouble controlling their blood sugar during cold fronts.
  • Cold weather [as Yamato pointed out] can also cause painful changes in joint fluid thickness.
  • [People burn more calories during cold weather].
  • [Temperature swings tend to weaken animals’ immune systems in general, e.g. drastic temperature drops are equated with higher risks of colic in horses].
  • Each 1.8 degree Fahrenheit the temperature drops is associated with around 200 additional heart attacks nationwide.
  • [Self harm ...spikes] in the late spring and early summer while overall, sour moods are more likely on cold, cloudy days.
  • Cloudiness is [also] associated with affective disorder.
  • [High barometric pressure sometimes results in painful sinuses].
  • Hot, humid weather can make breathing difficult, particularly for people with preexisting lung conditions.
  • Changing seasons and [again] hot weather can exacerbate asthma and allergy symptoms [whereinto Spring] and air pollution [much factor].
  • Barometric pressure can be a headache for some [while causing others’ heads to spin owing to what is referred to as ‘seasonal vertigo’].
  • [Increased] exposure to bright light often triggers migraines.

https://weather.com/health/news/13-ways-weather-affects-your-health-without-you-knowing-20140613#/3

During hurricane season if one comes close enough through my blood pressure sky rockets!

I don't have high blood pressure and don't get nervous about storms it just happens when barometric pressure gets intense,feels as if my head will pop lol

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, CrimsonKing said:

During hurricane season if one comes close enough through my blood pressure sky rockets!

I don't have high blood pressure and don't get nervous about storms it just happens when barometric pressure gets intense,feels as if my head will pop lol

The calm before such storms can be downright eerie.  After all, what warm blooded creature doesn't sweat the hot and still air that precedes a tempest?

• Like 2

I experienced the worst headache in my life on a flight while landing...it lasted for more than a day.   A more extreme example of pressure changing very quickly through time but it went to show me how changes in pressure can cause intense pain in an instant.   These other examples are more sneaky because they occur over a period of hours not seconds, since the change rate is so much lower the pain is fortunately blunted but it's also a lot harder for people to accurately determine the cause of.   Hopefully it doesn't default to "I'm just getting old." or "My aunt Sarah gets headaches too."

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Yamato said:

I experienced the worst headache in my life on a flight while landing...it lasted for more than a day.   A more extreme example of pressure changing very quickly through time but it went to show me how changes in pressure can cause intense pain in an instant.   These other examples are more sneaky because they occur over a period of hours not seconds, since the change rate is so much lower the pain is fortunately blunted but it's also a lot harder for people to accurately determine the cause of.   Hopefully it doesn't default to "I'm just getting old." or "My aunt Sarah gets headaches too."

Same here. It was when landing in Miami. The pressure change really got to me. As it was happening I was looking around at the other passengers to see if anyone else was going through hell. I guess I was the only one, and I will never forget it. Accordingly, I haven't flown since.

• Like 3

Crimsonking,

I meant to include the word humid, i.e. pre-hurricane conditions can be so hot, still and humid that one cannot help but perspire. 

Yamato and ZZ,

I "liked" your commenting and not the fact that your heads hurt.

One of the problems with one’s rising in altitude is that oxygen in the ambient air decreases along with the barometric pressure. 

Oftentimes the change is felt as fatigue, other times, as in your cases, the result is a headache.  There is another painful side

effect that people, such as myself, are prone to suffer to varying degrees of severity, i.e. depending upon how quickly s/he can

get emergency treatment and/or effective antibiotics. It is ear barotrauma and mine was due to my culminating a vacation by

driving through the tundra en route home to near sea level.

To whomever it may interest or concern, 

The Effects of Low Barometric Pressure on the Ears

http://www.livestrong.com/article/127091-effects-low-barometric-pressure-ears/

“[...]A change in barometric pressure can cause ear barotrauma, sometimes called barotitis. This is trauma

to your inner ear, middle ear or eardrum due to barometric pressure changes, according to otolaryngologist

Mark C. Loury of Fort Collins, Colorado. Here's how it happens: Your eustachian tubes open every time you

swallow and equalize air pressure across your eardrum. If you descend from a high elevation without

swallowing, the lower barometric pressure behind your eardrums remains while pressure on the outside of

your eardrums increases. This makes for a relative vacuum behind your eardrums, similar to sucking on a

straw and having a collapse of the straw's side wall. If you swallow before the vacuum becomes too great,

your collapsed eustachian tubes open and equalize pressure across your eardrums. If you swallow too late,

the vacuum keeps your eustachian tube walls collapsed. As your descent continues, the wall-to-wall contact

of the tubes gets firmer, the vacuum increases and ear pain happens. Fluid may be sucked out of your middle

ear's membrane lining, which causes bloody plasma fluid to fill space behind your eardrums. This can rupture

membrane structures inside your inner ear, according to Loury.” 

Edited by aka CAT
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, .ZZ. said:

Same here. It was when landing in Miami. The pressure change really got to me. As it was happening I was looking around at the other passengers to see if anyone else was going through hell. I guess I was the only one, and I will never forget it. Accordingly, I haven't flown since.

Holy **** it happened to me when I was landing in Miami too.   Hmmm.  That it happened to you once doesn't mean it will happen every time you fly so I wouldn't be morbidly afraid to fly again.   Flying at or over a mile high in small planes also doesn't bother me. 

• Like 2

The amount of time spent in and being habituated to the AC environment has a lot to do with the degrees of how one reacts to the changes, here in Malaysia we tend to add a lot of indoor botany (close to windows and clear glass panels) and water features (Feng Shui bubbling artificial waterfalls) in enclosed AC environments.

~

• Like 1

Pressurised aircraft operate with internal pressure roughly equal to an altitude of 8000 feet. The air at cruise altitude has minimal humidity, so the combined effects of extremely dry air, and  lower pressure than most are used to, is not overly friendly to the body. Drinking dehydrating beverages like alcohol or coffee makes things worse.

• Like 2