Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

13,000 Victorian jam jars unearthed in London

Black Monk

Thousands of Victorian jam jars and pickle pots have been discovered beneath a former nightclub during the building of Crossrail, it has emerged.

The Museum of London Archaeology (MOLA) found more than 13,000 pots in an old vault at the site of the new Elizabeth line station in Tottenham Court Road.

The space beneath the old Astoria nightclub had been used as a dumping ground by Crosse & Blackwell, which had a large factory on the site until 1921.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-38586525

• Like 7

13,000 Victorian jam jars in London? I didn't think there were that many cars in Britain by the end of the 19th century.

• Like 5

The space beneath the old Astoria nightclub had been used as a dumping ground by Crosse & Blackwell, which had a large factory on the site until 1921.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-38586525

Well this is why. Today they would get fined for fly tipping.

The school I went to at the Elephant and Castle has a mount with bodies in there from the plague.:P stick that in a jam jar and eat it.

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

13,000 Victorian jam jars in London? I didn't think there were that many cars in Britain by the end of the 19th century.

Beat me to it, AGAIN!!!

• Like 1

Finally, jam today! :P

Crosse & Blackwell Marmalade was a fixture in my parents' house sixty years ago; very tart and unlike 'modern' sweet marmalades. Ruined me for the newer stuff.

• Like 2

Why did they dump so many? Were they all rejects? They must have had some very stringent standards. Couldn't they have re-used them?

3 minutes ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

Why did they dump so many? Were they all rejects? They must have had some very stringent standards. Couldn't they have re-used them?

Maybe it wasn't so much dumping as storing. :D

When I was at Primary school in the 1950s, we were regularly asked to bring empty jam jars in so that the school could sell them. There was a lot of competition between classes and individuals to see who could bring the most in. All children walked to school then and you'd see them staggering along the road with paper bags or cardboard boxes with the bottoms about to give way, full of glass jars. Eventually, of course, it was deemed too dangerous and was stopped. :unsure:

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

Seems with people making their own, there was no need for so many:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=KEG8DQAAQBAJ&pg=PP20&lpg=PP20&dq=money+for+jam+jars+Crosse+%26+Blackwell&source=bl&ots=cVgPpNjvNm&sig=guqJaFeDaMu13qa4GLDH4C_rHmg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjmkrLm4bzRAhViD5oKHUe0CQkQ6AEIRzAH#v=onepage&q=money for jam jars Crosse %26 Blackwell&f=false

46 minutes ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

Maybe most were unusable.

On 1/19/2017 at 10:49 AM, kobolds said:

is the jam still editable ?

How do you edit jam?

Ohh... edible...Most of the jars look broken so what remained in the jars if anything was consumed by critters or turned into dust.