Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Lasers Turn Mice Into Lethal Hunters

Claire.

Lasers turn mice into lethal hunters.

One moment, a mouse nonchalantly shares a cage with a cricket; the next, the rodent leaps on the insect and rips its head off—all because a scientist flipped a switch. For the first time, researchers have hacked into the part of the brain that makes animals hunt, using lasers to target specific neurons. What’s more, they’ve found this hunting center in a surprising place: the region of the brain responsible for fear.

Read more: Science Magazine

• Like 5

Very well done science....thats just what the world needs!

Mice can be turned into Walking Dead-style zombie killers, scientists discover

Researchers use a laser to activate brain cells that prompt the mouse to hunt and kill anything in its path – crickets, bottle tops, sticks ...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/mice-lab-rats-walking-dead-zombie-killers-laser-yale-university-a7524116.html

• Like 2

Research grants well spent!

• Like 2

I demand to see the same thing done with a bear or a wolverine! Then I'll raise my glass..........bloody angry mice!

• Like 3

That is hilarious, (okay quote tool ... )

26 minutes ago, Lucas Cooper Merrin said:

Research grants well spent!

It mentioned that in the past researchers thought amygdala was all about defensive or submissive. Curious I thought that was the beastly prehistoric like part of the brain, oh well one can't remember everything. YEah sadly another joke.
Yeah worked with grants a bit, some amazing things AND! I learned HA! one is not required to voice opinions or save money.

Oops almost forgot, love the article by the way thanks Claire. now with a period on the end, anything to do with the brain holy crappolla EXCELLENT !

Edited by MWoo7
  • Like 2

Oh joy, I guess the next step is to make it work on humans.  I could see a lot of applications for something like this to do good things for mental illness. . It depends on how you wield such power like this. In the hands of military types it could become a nightmare scenario. 

• Like 4

You beat me to it Grandpa Greenman, except I couldn't help but think that the military angle was the ultimate goal from the outset. Or is that just my pessimism creeping in?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Stiff said:

You beat me to it Grandpa Greenman, except I couldn't help but think that the military angle was the ultimate goal from the outset. Or is that just my pessimism creeping in?

If you know anything about the history of humanity, you have good reason for your pessimism.   Welcome to UM.  

• Like 2

Strapping frikkin' laser beams onto sharks does the same thing.

• Like 4

First, in the home the title says "Scientists turn mice in to zombie killers"  and I thought "Cool! Even if they don't exist, now we have a weapon against those damn deadites!"

Then I've read the article.

Gosh. 

Not good. 

Are we sure the lab is not located in Manchuria? 

• Like 1

MZA - mice zombie apocalypse 

On 14/01/2017 at 4:55 AM, Grandpa Greenman said:

Oh joy, I guess the next step is to make it work on humans.  I could see a lot of applications for something like this to do good things for mental illness. . It depends on how you wield such power like this. In the hands of military types it could become a nightmare scenario. 

Yes, improving our understanding of how brains work is going to help improve medical treatments.

But I wouldn't worry too much about military use of such knowledge - all knowledge, no matter how seemingly benign, can be misused by those with an unpleasant agenda.