Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Biden Awarded Highest Civilian Honor

OverSword

President Obama awarded outgoing Vice President Biden the Presidential Medal of Freedom on Thursday afternoon.

Calling the former longtime Delaware senator "the best vice president America's ever had" and a "lion of American history," Obama gave his White House partner the surprise award in an emotional ceremony, initially billed as a farewell.

After extolling the job that Biden has done, Obama ended it with the unexpected news that he was giving the vice president the nation's highest civilian honor, with distinction — a designation previously given only to President Ronald Reagan, Pope John Paul II and Gen. Colin Powell.

"To know Joe Biden is to know love without pretense, service without self-regard, and to live life fully," Obama said.

Overcome with tears and completely caught off guard by the award, Biden praised the president as "remarkable man who did remarkable things for this country" who had truly treated him like an equal partner in governance.

"This honor is not only well beyond what I deserve, but it's a reflection of the generosity of your spirit," Biden told Obama. "I don't deserve this. But I know it came from the president's heart."

Source

• Like 1

I have this vague feeling that he knows somebody.

• Like 4

Biden the creepy old guy teaching and feeling young kid's hair in a weirdly sensual manner? that guy? An Ally of Podesta the pizzagate guy? hmm. makes one wonder.

• Like 2

Remember when they made friendship bracelets? :lol:

BFFS-619-386.png

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 1

I don't know much about the guy other than he has a very expressive face, so I don't really have an opinion on this.

During the last days of Obama's Adminstration, they been handing out medals left and right, then rewarding medals to themselves. This is very arrogant and egotistic, that they are basically insulting all the people who had to earn theirs. :\

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Sweetpumper said:

Typical left. Rewarding someone for nothing.

If Shrillary had won the Presidency, she'd been given a Noble Prize immediately afterward.  These leftists like to pat themselves on the back for merely being leftists and nothing more.

Biden doesn't even deserve a participation acknowledgement.

Edited by Thorvir
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, rashore said:

Are people that are unhappy about this unhappy because Biden got the medal at all- or because it was given with distinction?

because he did nothing to deserve it.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, aztek said:

because he did nothing to deserve it.  

All right, fair enough. What do you think warrants deserving it? I'm not trying to be provocative by asking that. It's just that reading the list of recipients- there's a bunch of folks on there that it just seems like that someone liked them more than they did anything deserving. There seems to be a lot of more distinguished folks on the list too. I guess I'm uncertain on what the things are that gets someone recommended by the committee in the first place for the President to choose from. Why are some of the sports and entertainers on the list considered deserving, but by comparison Biden is not? Or how come he got on the list with the likes of the Apollo 11 crew?

7 minutes ago, rashore said:

All right, fair enough. What do you think warrants deserving it? 

not sure but i know doing nothing does not warrant deserving it.

it is not "president's best friend' medal, it is highest award civilian can get, it requires some grand achievement at least. preferably in a field of freedom.

i'll tell you what, keep in mind  I'm not trying to be provocative by asking that , if you could list his achievements we can go over them together and see which are warrant deserving highest civilian honor one can get.

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Uncle Sam said:

During the last days of Obama's Adminstration, they been handing out medals left and right, then rewarding medals to themselves. This is very arrogant and egotistic, that they are basically insulting all the people who had to earn theirs. :\

Usually a sign of corrupt government trying to validate itself to the people in an effort to conceal their meritless ventures.

• Like 3

Joe getting a medal is a joke but from the look of the list rashore provided the medal itself has been handed out like candy since Bill Clinton (including Bush) thereby cheapening it to the point of making it not much more than a thanks for supporting me award.    Interestingly the Congressional Medal of Honor started out as a less important medal than it later became in a kind of reverse evolution to this medal so standards change over time in both directions I guess. 

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, aztek said:

not sure but i know doing nothing does not warrant deserving it.

it is not "president's best friend' medal, it is highest award civilian can get, it requires some grand achievement at least. preferably in a field of freedom.

i'll tell you what, keep in mind  I'm not trying to be provocative by asking that , if you could list his achievements we can go over them together and see which are warrant deserving highest civilian honor one can get.

I have no idea what Biden might have done achievement wise... But there's guys on the list for things like driving in circles fast or talking sports on the radio, and I have no idea what they might have done either to have earned it.

To me, it isn't really a big deal that Biden got the medal itself, there's plenty of other head scratches on the list too. What kind of weirds me out a bit was that he got the "with distinction". That does seem to be an above and beyond kind of recognition compared with the other people on that shorter list.

1 minute ago, rashore said:

I have no idea what Biden might have done achievement wise... But there's guys on the list for things like driving in circles fast or talking sports on the radio, and I have no idea what they might have done either to have earned it.

To me, it isn't really a big deal that Biden got the medal itself, there's plenty of other head scratches on the list too. What kind of weirds me out a bit was that he got the "with distinction". That does seem to be an above and beyond kind of recognition compared with the other people on that shorter list.

well i'm in agreement here, from the list it does seem, like award value dropped since Clinton.  just like Merc14 said, it became "thanks you for supporting me" medal.  

I came here for Biden memes...c'mon guys now is the time :ph34r:

Cx_Ho_Uak_XUAAJk_G9.jpg

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, aztek said:

well i'm in agreement here, from the list it does seem, like award value dropped since Clinton.  just like Merc14 said, it became "thanks you for supporting me" medal. 

Obama is handing out consolation prizes. The "I don't care what Trump says I'm special" award

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

I came here for Biden memes...c'mon guys now is the time :ph34r:

Cx_Ho_Uak_XUAAJk_G9.jpg

lol, trump has dealt with tougher guys than these 2 clowns

Edited by aztek
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, aztek said:

lol, trump has dealt with tougher guys than these 2 clowns

Can any other President claim to have stood in the squared circle?

• Like 3

i can't think of two tough presidents, Lincoln, teddy Roosevelt, imo they would be fit being in the ring, thou it did not exist back than. thou Lincoln  was a wrestler in young days

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1