Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

First ever video of a Ruby Seadragon

seeder

• The title was changed to First ever video of a Ruby Seadragon

Amazing.

• Like 7

Cool! :tu:

• Like 4

“We knew it was like finding a needle in a haystack to go and look for this thing.”

They were first identified as a species in 2015 based on DNA sequencing of just four dried out specimens that had washed ashore or been caught in trawling nets between 1919 and 2007.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2117860-first-ever-video-of-an-elusive-new-ruby-seadragon-filmed-in-wild/

Well done  Greg Rouse   and the team who`s perseverance paid off. :tu:

If people want to say dragons are real, well here is one for you, although without the fire breathing and not quite as big as portrayed in the stories. ....but  the stories  started from something and somewhere.

• Like 4

I love seadragons and seahorses. They are amazing and so beautiful.  I could watch clips of them over and over.

• Like 5

Elusive Ruby Seadragons Show Off on Camera for First Time

An elusive ruby seadragon that was previously known only from museum specimens has been spotted alive in its natural habitat for the first time.

The scarlet-colored fish (Phyllopteryx dewysea) was first discovered as a distinct species in 2015, when researchers uncovered a misidentified preserved specimen while studying the two known species of seadragons — the orange-tinted leafy seadragon and the yellow-and-purple common seadragon. Since the discovery, scientists have sought the 9.4-inch-long (24 centimeters) ruby seadragon in the wild. Now, a team of researchers have observed two ruby seadragons on video for nearly 30 minutes in the waters off Western Australia, in the Recherche Archipelago.

Read more: Live Science

• Like 2

Looks like just another species of a Seahorse to me.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Mark56 said:

So in your mind a snake and a slow worm are the same thing?

Cool -- LOVE NATURE pieces/docs etc., but they could have tripled the volume , more bass and tossed in some violins. Like the theater a few days ago, can't believe I helped pay for that tripe(orchestra junk at 4 x the volume needed)To head off the peanuts gallery bits "ahduh why don't you turn down your speakers" thanks Beavis.

Nice Clair/Claire/Claire.  I clicked the one about the moon and I thought NASA was saying the moon and such and that's why the dragons are out hahahahahahahaha!
Nice and detailed, great brilliant RED COLOR TOO THANKS CLAIR E  .

21 hours ago, Claire. said:

seadragons on video for nearly 30 minutes in the waters off Western Australia, in the Recherche Archipelago.

Read more: Live Science

Edited by MWoo7
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Mark56 said:

It's great that we've encountered another species alive for the first time, and not just that...um..... Actually, yeah it does doesn't it. 

I've got to admit I was hoping for just a little bit more pzazz about it. 

Edited by oldrover
  • Like 3

These are incredibly beautiful creatures - seahorses, seadragons and pipefishes have a certain grace and gentleness as they slowly go about their business..  At the marine research centre I worked at, we initially had the Leafy Seadragon as its emblem (on my suggestion - shuffles feet immodestly!).

We had an artist do a version for t-shirts that we used to give as souvenirs to visiting overseas researchers, and sell to our students..  I still proudly have my shirt - indeed, here's the logo:
seahorse_lmsc_tshirt.jpg

Unlike the ruby ones, the camouflage on those was unbelievably efficient - they wave about in time with the weeds they hide in and simply vanish into the foliage.  I was lucky enough to be snorkeling with an expert in the field who pointed one out to me under the jetty at Tumby Bay, SA.  I would never have spotted it without her help...

• Like 5

They are beautiful :)

• Like 4

On 1/15/2017 at 1:27 AM, ChrLzs said:

These are incredibly beautiful creatures - seahorses, seadragons and pipefishes have a certain grace and gentleness as they slowly go about their business..  At the marine research centre I worked at, we initially had the Leafy Seadragon as its emblem (on my suggestion - shuffles feet immodestly!).

We had an artist do a version for t-shirts that we used to give as souvenirs to visiting overseas researchers, and sell to our students..  I still proudly have my shirt - indeed, here's the logo:
seahorse_lmsc_tshirt.jpg

Unlike the ruby ones, the camouflage on those was unbelievably efficient - they wave about in time with the weeds they hide in and simply vanish into the foliage.  I was lucky enough to be snorkeling with an expert in the field who pointed one out to me under the jetty at Tumby Bay, SA.  I would never have spotted it without her help...

I'd love to get this t-shirt. Is it possible? :)

2 hours ago, MJNYC said:

I'd love to get this t-shirt. Is it possible? :)

Probably not, but I'll send a couple of leads as a PM..  I regret that I didn't buy several and now only have that one as my own prized memory..

• Like 1