Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Trump may tariff Canadian Made Cars

Thanato

U.S. president-elect Donald Trump has threatened automakers with a border tax on vehicles built in Mexico and brought into the United States — and it now appears Canada may not be immune from a possible tariff.

Asked Friday during a conference call if an auto border tax could hit Canada, Trump spokesman Sean Spicer said: "When a company that's in the U.S. moves to a place, whether it's Canada or Mexico, or any other country seeking to put U.S. workers at a disadvantage," then the incoming U.S. president "is going to do everything he can to deter that."

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/business/trump-canada-auto-sector-1.3935222

I understand why they would want to try and stop companies taking advantage of cheep labour in Mexico but I don't think he understands how old and important the cross border industry is to both the United States and Canada. 

The plants in Canada havnt taken American jobs, they've been around for many many decades.

good to see the billions being invested into Canadian Auto production.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Thanato said:

I understand why they would want to try and stop companies taking advantage of cheep labour in Mexico but I don't think he understands how old and important the cross border industry is to both the United States and Canada. 

The plants in Canada havnt taken American jobs, they've been around for many many decades.

good to see the billions being invested into Canadian Auto production.

Well if Trump doesn't show an equal position concerning trade with Mexico and Canada then he's either a racist or he views Canada as another U.S. state. Both positions for a Canadian are equally worrying. 

• Like 2

Perhaps a larger question is, how much of the American car you buy is made in the U.S.A., Mexico or Canada? These factories assemble cars from parts. From what country are these parts manufactured? I'd like to see a list of all the components of American cars and their counties of origin.

I read a while back that Toyota's made in the U.S.A. have more American made parts in them than American cars do.

• Like 6

No one buys them anyway, the ride is terrible with those wheels...

Canadian Cars.png

• Like 2

30 cars with the most North American content. Most are around 70% parts made in America according to the link.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/autos-passenger/30-cars-with-the-most-north-american-made-parts/ss-BBhT7Dd

On 1/13/2017 at 7:41 PM, Thanato said:

it does not matter canada or mexico, what matters is it is not USA.   cross border industry is sure important, a lot more for canada than usa.   see we will be better off by bringing factories back to usa, you otoh, not so much. 

1 minute ago, aztek said:

it does not matter canada or mexico, what matters is it is not USA.   cross border industry is sure important, a lot more for canada than usa.   see we will be better off by bringing factories back to usa, you otoh, not so much. 

The issue is these factories were never in the US if they did move to the US it would be a case of America taking jobs from hard working Canadians. Which would be kind of Ironic, don't you think?

but on the plus side the auto industry is pledging Billions of dollars into the Canadian plants.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Thanato said:

The issue is these factories were never in the US if they did move to the US it would be a case of America taking jobs from hard working Canadians. Which would be kind of Ironic, don't you think?

but on the plus side the auto industry is pledging Billions of dollars into the Canadian plants.

well, if tariffs for Canadian build cars will go up, you can believe factories will be moved out, however most of your production is for domestic consumption, that is not gonna be affected.   you also have suppliers manufacturing parts, that also  should not fall under tariffs.

7 minutes ago, aztek said:

well, if tariffs for Canadian build cars will go up, you can believe factories will be moved out, however most of your production is for domestic consumption, that is not gonna be affected.   you also have suppliers manufacturing parts, that also  should not fall under tariffs.

The Canadian auto industry produces for the North American Maket. They produce for Canada and the United Dtates as well as other export markets. 

For example the Dodge Challanger, Charger, Grand Caravan ect are only produced in Canada for the North American Market. Some in the oldest operation Chrysler Manufacturing Plant in North America.

3 minutes ago, Thanato said:

The Canadian auto industry produces for the North American Maket. They produce for Canada and the United Dtates as well as other export markets. 

For example the Dodge Challanger, Charger, Grand Caravan ect are only produced in Canada for the North American Market. Some in the oldest operation Chrysler Manufacturing Plant in North America.

yes i know they do, i know you build cars for export and domestic consumption, however if tariffs becomes an issue, you can expect downsizing of your factories to serve only domestic consumption, and export to other than usa countries,

41 minutes ago, Thanato said:

Thanato, the manufacturing and sales of Toyota is rising in Canada. I believe Honda will expand too in the near future. Those are as domestic as are American cars produced in Canada.

It would not surprise me a bit if German and French automakers try to establish manufacturing here in Canada given the very very high expertise and work ethic our workers and management have.

Try to count cars. How many are american and how many other? You willbe suprised by the pattern.

1 minute ago, odas said:

Thanato, the manufacturing and sales of Toyota is rising in Canada. I believe Honda will expand too in the near future. Those are as domestic as are American cars produced in Canada.

It would not surprise me a bit if German and French automakers try to establish manufacturing here in Canada given the very very high expertise and work ethic our workers and management have.

Try to count cars. How many are american and how many other? You willbe suprised by the pattern.

The big three have all ways been building in Canada. Honda is investing 500 million in thier Allison plant and about 2 billion total from auto makers in Canada are to be invested.

in related news.

Hyundai Motor Group said Tuesday it will significantly increase its investment in the U.S. while Donald Trump is president and is considering building a new U.S. factory.

Chung Jin Haeng, a president of the world's fifth-largest automotive group, said Hyundai Motor, Kia Motors and their affiliated companies will spend $3.1 billion by 2021 on research and development and maintaining their factories in Alabama and Georgia.

Chung said Hyundai will study building a new U.S. factory if demand for cars rises during Trump's administration. The new administration's promise to create 1 million jobs and attract new companies could stimulate demand for cars and other products, he said.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory/hyundai-highlights-us-spending-plan-trump-takes-oath-44822146

this is how you create jobs, by making favorable  terms for large businesses, not creating few new gvmnt position.

Edited by aztek

3 hours ago, aztek said:

in related news.

Hyundai Motor Group said Tuesday it will significantly increase its investment in the U.S. while Donald Trump is president and is considering building a new U.S. factory.

Chung Jin Haeng, a president of the world's fifth-largest automotive group, said Hyundai Motor, Kia Motors and their affiliated companies will spend $3.1 billion by 2021 on research and development and maintaining their factories in Alabama and Georgia.

Chung said Hyundai will study building a new U.S. factory if demand for cars rises during Trump's administration. The new administration's promise to create 1 million jobs and attract new companies could stimulate demand for cars and other products, he said.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory/hyundai-highlights-us-spending-plan-trump-takes-oath-44822146

this is how you create jobs, by making favorable  terms for large businesses, not creating few new gvmnt position.

You have Ford investing $700 Million, Honda investing $500 Million. Chrysler investing $375 million. GM investing $500 million. So it doesn't look like they will be moving Canadian Jobs to Anerica anytime soon.

I still find it ironic that the party with the mantra, "Government doesn't create jobs!" is all ecstatic about the jobs being created by the government with their threats of tariffs to hamper free trade.   

I think that a still disregarded fact in relation to the promised investments by the car manufacurers into existing production plants is that with every upgrade the level of automation will raise, means less manpower is needed resulting into cheaper car production.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, toast said:

I think that a still disregarded fact in relation to the promised investments by the car manufacurers into existing production plants is that with every upgrade the level of automation will raise, means less manpower is needed resulting into cheaper car production.

I tend to agree.  People are increasingly becoming obsolete except as consumers.

48 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

People are increasingly becoming obsolete except as consumers.

Exactly. And the development in automation technology isnt limited to manufacturing onyl, see another example from the fields of logistics related industries: amazon. Even if Bezos and some car manufacturers promised to create some 100k of new jobs in the US, it is exactly these jobs that are subject to be replaced by automation technology in the future. Even if there will be an increase in jobs in the near future, it will be just a flash in the pan.

While Amazon employs more than 220,00 people and is growing fast, it is also pursuing technologies that would ultimately allow it to replace many workers in its warehouses worldwide. Amazon's warehouses - known as fulfilment centers - are already partially automated, with a growing number of centers using Kiva robots to carry shelves of products to human workers, who then pick the items to be shipped. Without automation, Amazon would be unable to ship items to millions of people each day and as the retail giant moves towards its goal of delivering packages within 30 minutes it needs to continue to streamline delivery.Not only does Amazon plan to use Kiva bots in more of its warehouses but it also wants to automate the process of picking items from shelves. To that end, the firm last year set up the Amazon Picking Challenge (APC), a contest where robotics researchers compete for a $25,000 prize for designing the best picking bot.

link