Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ringling Bros. Circus plans to shut down

Hawken

I guess they figured they couldn't compete with the circus that's going to be in the white house. True story, my 3 year old niece saw Trump on TV the other day and asked my sister "What is this? A circus?" She thought the orange faced man was a clown. lol That right there made my year.

But it is sad that the Ringling Bros. are closing. I saw them once when I was little and it was definitely a fun experience.

Edited by Odin11
  • Like 3

Seems like the final straw was losing the elephants if the article is anything to go by.  People screamed bloody murder about how the circus doesn't need exotic animals to be entertaining, then ticket sales plummeted once they were gone.

• Like 7

It's a shame when something which has been on the go for so long has to close. People feel differently now of course, once upon a time a circus was considered something more special than it is nowadays, the emphasis now is on the welfare of the performing animals (quite rightly so) which has given circuses who have them, a bad name. They could carry on without animals but for all the public outcry about the way they're treated, it's sad to think the animals are probably a big part of the attraction.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Odin11 said:

I guess they figured they couldn't compete with the circus that's going to be in the white house. True story, my 3 year old niece saw Trump on TV the other day and asked my sister "What is this? A circus?" She thought the orange faced man was a clown. lol That right there made my year.

But it is sad that the Ringling Bros. are closing. I saw them once when I was little and it was definitely a fun experience.

the clowns are you democrats.

• Like 3

everything has a beginning and everything has an end.  going out on your terms is the best for a business.

I went to the circus once and it kind-of just seemed like a bore fest IMO.

I think it's just a generational thing. With all the other dirstactions going on in today's world the circus seems pretty dule

Don't know how old you are spartan max2, but I was a child in the 1950s and went to a circus once or twice.  Loathed it from the start. I just don't get clowns, slapstick and the rest, but that is just me!  In the U.K. we have pantomimes (a theatre based event) which I find equally as off putting.  I am not sorry to see circuses close down.  I think we probably have only one company (family concern) left operating now here.  

7 hours ago, danielost said:

the clowns are you democrats.

1. I'm not a democrat.

2. It was a joke, lighten up. But my niece really did say that.

• Like 2

My first close encounter with an elephant was at a circus. My son was with me and the elephant was eating hay at the time, we were allowed to get close to it and got to stroke its trunk. I have to say that was an incredible experience not only for my son but for me too. A circus is no place for an elephant all the same.

• Like 2

Well I guess this means that I can't run away to join the circus anymore.:(

• Like 1

I read that the circus had recently placed the first woman into the job of Ringmaster.  It only took 140 years ;)  Now some will blame the failure on her.  JK.....  I never went to the circus and I'm sorry about that but I have to agree about keeping the animals caged and forcing them to behave unnaturally.  I actually believe in freedom for everyone and everything.  Life might be shorter and more brutal but at least it allows one to truly LIVE!  

There's always Cirque du Soleil for those who want a spectacle.  Very colorful, and the artistry of motion can be amazing.  I've been a couple of times to their performances in Las Vegas.  I left amazed.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, and then said:

I read that the circus had recently placed the first woman into the job of Ringmaster.  It only took 140 years ;)  Now some will blame the failure on her.  JK.....  I never went to the circus and I'm sorry about that but I have to agree about keeping the animals caged and forcing them to behave unnaturally.  I actually believe in freedom for everyone and everything.  Life might be shorter and more brutal but at least it allows one to truly LIVE!  

There's always Cirque du Soleil for those who want a spectacle.  Very colorful, and the artistry of motion can be amazing.  I've been a couple of times to their performances in Las Vegas.  I left amazed.

I saw Cirque du Soleil when they opened for Paul McCartney and I've been wanting to see one of their whole shows for years since.

18 hours ago, and then said:

I read that the circus had recently placed the first woman into the job of Ringmaster.  It only took 140 years ;)  Now some will blame the failure on her.  JK.....  I

You joke, but that is an actual theory in the business world, about how a company will put a woman in charge of a project (or a company) when it is on its way down.

2 hours ago, aquatus1 said:

You joke, but that is an actual theory in the business world, about how a company will put a woman in charge of a project (or a company) when it is on its way down.

If true, it's cowardly and deceptive. IMO, in this situation, the change in sympathies for the exotic animals played the largest role. The animals were the biggest draw over time and people just changed their minds about the morality of using them in such a way.  Anyway, it's another piece of an America that is passing.  I'm glad I won't be around to see a truly post-American world.  As flawed as our experiment with Liberty is, it has still been the best the world could create.  It's unraveling now due to greed and stupidity.  I doubt that those screaming loudest, have a clue what will come next.

My dad refused to take us to the Circus.   When he was a kid he watched a circus take down ready to move to another town.  He said the way the animals were treated, especially the elephants horrified him.  He would never support companies that treated animals like that.