Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Rain revives prehistoric ‘alien’ shrimp

seeder

Freak rain brings prehistoric ‘alien’ shrimp BACK TO LIFE
FREAK rain in the Australian outback has allowed a prehistoric, alien-looking shrimp to emerge from out of the blue.

A species of odd-looking crustaceans have been brought back after rare rain that comes around on average every half a century rehydrated the shrimp.

There was so much rainfall in the usually perpetually dry Uluru, near Alice Springs in the middle of Australia, that it was closed to the public due to heavy flooding.

However, one positive is that a marine-creature, known as a shield shrimp (or Triops australiensis) has reemerged.

The creature is classed as a ‘living fossil’ as it has barely changed in tens of millions of years and is one of the toughest animals on the planet.
http://www.express.co.uk/news/science/754209/alien-prehistoric-shrimp-uluru-living-fossil

• Like 9

9 hours ago, aquatus1 said:

This would be more impressive if Triops weren't being sold next to Sea Monkeys at Toys R Us.

Are you serious?

• Like 2

17 hours ago, oldrover said:

Are you serious?

I used to have a few of them in a tank at home. They swam around for a few weeks, and then promptly expired. They are actually one of the few animals that deserves the term "living fossil", since as a genus Triops has been around since the Carboniferous. They are also cannibalistic, and I remember the bigger ones actually eating the smaller ones.

Edited by Carnoferox
  • Like 2

They're better than sea monkeys since one can actually see them without magnification.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, The Butler said:

The pressing question now is, what do they taste like?

That's what I was thinking about. Time to go in the kitchen and fix up some food. 

• Like 1

I wonder if Australians are getting their barbies out to have shrimp? :lol:

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Calibeliever said:

Australia is one crazy place :) 

Yeah - but in a good kinda way :tsu:

• Like 4

When you visit Oz. Just don't say you root for their team. It might get you in trouble.:D

i thought triops were already here. I bought one of the grow triops kits way back when i was a kid. one thing though about them is they do cannabilism which i did not know. I learned my lesson.

• Like 1

It was a bacteria that starting showing just days before christmas.......and as us Aussies love our shrimp on the barbie.......it affected many fisherman.........heaps where fine though........we had a huge amount with our ham,turkey and all our other food........

• Like 1