Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The positive impact of diversity

Kismit

*Looks around*

Nope can't see anyone calling anyone else ignorant... 

Smarter by who's measure?

From the link....

Decades of research by organizational scientists, psychologists, sociologists, economists and demographers 

Many of the studies and outcomes are discussed in the post. It's quite interesting reading.

• Like 3

http://www.statisticbrain.com/countries-with-the-highest-lowest-average-iq/

1 hour ago, Kismit said:

*Looks around*

Nope can't see anyone calling anyone else ignorant... 

Smarter by who's measure?

From the link....

Many of the studies and outcomes are discussed in the post. It's quite interesting reading.

Ironic, then, that the top five countries with the highest average IQs are among the least ethnically diverse.                  http://www.statisticbrain.com/countries-with-the-highest-lowest-average-iq/ 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2013/05/16/a-revealing-map-of-the-worlds-most-and-least-ethnically-diverse-countries/?utm_term=.d7d1e0dcd141

Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Kismit said:

This thread isn't even about immigration. But it is very interesting to see that that, is what some of you got out of it.

This from the original link.

Results of a study cited in the link.

The post is about how individually,  when faced with working with someone who has a different perspective to our own, we are more likely to be prepared with information that can be shared.

This appears to be carried out by both parties. Preparing either for mental battle or for clearer communication, by bringing extra information to the party.

When immigrants move into an area they do bring their own cultural beliefs, they rarely move outside of their own comfort circles. And they can fail to diversify. A failure to accept diversification into the culture they choose to adopt limits their own mental growth. However that is as stated, a symptom of poor immigration policy and not connected to the research studies collated in the original link.

This is an academic discussion about a very controversial topic that impacts our world hugely these days.  When, reasonable, rational people are those who are moving in among us, I can understand the benefits of diversity.  When we are welcoming large numbers of people who are diametrically opposite, culturally, and who have no real desire to assimilate, THAT is a prescription for chaos.  Despite PODO's protestations, Germany is a prime example.  It's like watching the early stages of a fire that you KNOW will become a conflagration.

• Like 1

It's almost as though humans become better, more well-rounded people when faced with values and beliefs different than their own, via the necessity of actually thinking about their world in contrast of an opposing viewpoint. 

Crazy how that works, eh? 

• Like 1

Immigration has a lot to do with what makes a culture diverse.  

A couple observations to no particular point (to whatever point one wants to make of it).

I was obliged about a year ago to leave Vietnam, so I came to Cambodia.  Vietnamese are not welcome here, but tolerated, up to a point.  I am careful to use English (I can't speak Khmer), and this gives me better treatment.  Getting a residence visa cost a good deal of money -- most Vietnamese can at best get thirty days.  The fear here is that the Vietnamese, given the chance, would swamp Cambodia (it has a better government, more freedom, in short is a better place to live) if they could, so they have to be prevented.  The Vietnamese have the same fear of China, and, so, Chinese are discouraged and not liked.  (I wonder why no one seems to fear being swamped by English speakers -- don't bother telling me, I know the reason).

Everyone wants their country to stay what it is, and not have it become something else in the future.  Sorry, folks, but no matter what you do change will happen.  Even if no one moves in or out, the new generation will reinvent the culture, the language, the attitudes, the music, what-have-you.

It is interesting that the typical Trump supporter is seen as lower-working class less well educated (little or no college or maybe not even a high school diploma -- this is not just an illusion but a reality -- I studied the results from Denver and Pueblo, a "blue" state and could see it clearly).  I can think of less polite ways this systematic educational and economic difference might be might be described.  We can draw conclusions that there is a resentment in these people of the success of better educated folk, and I have clearly picked up, both from Trump rallies and from things I've seen posted that Trump, although himself no doubt well educated, plays on the resentment and on the use of "high falutin" vocabulary, the avoidance of sexist attitudes, the interest in intellectual pursuits, the achievement of education, and so on that helps someone like me identify such types.  Pretty much the only thing this group shares with more educated Americans is sport.

The schools are no doubt the main reason for this increasing division among Americans into educated and left-behind, prosperous and poor.  The "gifted" are given good education and lots of attention, but the absence of effective discipline renders the rest just ignored and baby-sat (blame the lawyers and the teacher's union).

By the way, the remark in a message above this one complaining about immigrants by the professedly poor person in the States was not believable.  To be blunt, it is not the truth.  Neighborhoods go up and neighborhoods go down, based mainly on economics, not ethnicity, and the only similar experience for neighborhoods in the States is when large numbers of poor African-Americans move in.  I suppose an influx of poor Latin American immigrants might have a similar effect, but I doubt it.  They tend to ghettoize in already poor neighborhoods.

2 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

This evidence is equal to the evidence in the original post. The difference being that the original post does not limit diversity to ethnicity.

28 minutes ago, Kismit said:

This evidence is equal to the evidence in the original post. The difference being that the original post does not limit diversity to ethnicity.

Yet these countries, lacking major components of diversity, are still at the top, never-the-less. Makes the conclusions of the original post concerning diversity seem more subjective than objective.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

Yet these countries, lacking major components of diversity, are still at the top, never-the-less. Makes the conclusions of the original post concerning diversity seem more subjective than objective.

That depends entirely on the education programs and ideals of those nations. You would have to break down and study their educational systems in order to make a reasonable comparison. It's like comparing oranges with apples.

3 hours ago, Kismit said:

That depends entirely on the education programs and ideals of those nations. You would have to break down and study their educational systems in order to make a reasonable comparison. It's like comparing oranges with apples.

Which, in a sense, is what we're doing, really. The article concentrates on microcosms of diversity, which you champion with good cause. My focus has been on diversity in the macrocosm of the wider world and it's pros and cons.                              http://www.latimes.com/la-oe-rodriguez13aug13-column.html

• Like 1

"Unfortunately in our current system, smart and right have become more a function of who you agree with than any intellectual group of facts or mental achievements."

Edited by DanL

• 3 weeks later...