Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The positive impact of diversity

Kismit

There is nearly always more learned from struggling with chaos than from sitting and observing order. It takes some of both to make people thrive. Sadly of late we have decided that chaos and diversity is more important than order. I think that we will find that if every member of an orchestra plays their own individual song that the combined whole is pleasing to no one...

• Like 3

With reasonable balance, I think diversity is far and away the best.  Don't confuse diversity with chaos -- they are not the same, but, then, chaos ain't too bad either, at least after I've had my morning coffee.

The only reason for order is to protect us.  Get out there and take risks and learn and enjoy.

• Like 4

Oh, wow. Just look at the multicultural gang violence so pervasive in urban center such as Chicago or Los Angeles. Try to understand; multiculturalism has a darker side. It's not a theory nor is it an ideal. It's a reality people have to deal with in this country, every day. It's not some fantasy of people holding hands singing We Are The World.  Just look what multiculturalism did to the Balkans for Chrissakes!

Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Like 3

Order is what puts food on the table. It isn't fun or sexy it is just people, one after another, doing their job and their part. A little diversity makes the process more interesting and in general satisfying. Too much diversity and people stop working together and in the end they all go hungry. 

Another thing about diversity is that different isn't always good and what may have worked where you came from doesn't work here. If you liked the culture where you came from so much why did you come here? Now that you are here, why do you want to remake the culture that you were trying to get away from HERE? I know that in much of the Middle East if a woman is raped that she can be judged and stoned for it. She was in the wrong for being out without male family members to protect her so SHE is the guilty party!  I'm sorry that won't fly in Texas! 

A little diversity is like a little spice in a pot of soup. Too much is like pouring more spice in the pot than you have soup. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

Oh, wow. Just look at the multicultural gang violence so pervasive in urban center such as Chicago or Los Angeles. Try to understand; multiculturalism has a darker side. It's not a theory nor is it an ideal. It's a reality people have to deal with in this country, every day. It's not some fantasy of people holding hands singing We Are The World.  Just look what multiculturalism did to the Balkans for Chrissakes!

The original post looks more at group diversity. Race related gang violence is,  as far as I am aware, perpetrated by groups of similar people,  not diverse people.

Edited by Kismit
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, Kismit said:

The original post looks more at group diversity. Race related gang violence is,  as far as I am aware, perpetrated by groups of similar people,  not diverse people.

But that doesn't fit the isolationist and xenophobic narrative, so it is ignored.

9 minutes ago, Podo said:

But that doesn't fit the isolationist and xenophobic narrative, so it is ignored.

No it's not ignored as such.

People  self narrate with a reflection of the view closest to them. If your recent or most prominent experience of diversity is large scale culture clash, then that is bound to be where you narrate from.

If you consider group diversity to be  more like an internet fourm, or office work place (where I reflect), you may be able to see how you can actually learn from people with different backgrounds, education levels, and experiences.

Even if you don't agree with them.

Edited by Kismit
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Kismit said:

That's a microcosm of diversity. To have that, you have to have ethnic communities in the wider world. Most of the time, disparate groups coexist, peacefully, side-by-side. However, there have been and still are unfortunate exceptions. No one fears the good of ethnic diversity, only the evil. The problem is-----in people's minds the bad often disproportionately overshadows the good.  http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/17/us/17race.html.      

• Like 2

That is a horrible story about a non diversified group, working under a mob mentality.

Nothing diverse in the Mob. 

The subject article is situation specific to a standard that has yet to be achieved, which implies the author's findings not altogether conclusive.  Nonetheless, insofar as the work environment is concerned, the positive result of employees' involuntary mix is much due to their having to observe set rules in order to collect paychecks.  Hence, key to the arrangement's success is everyone's winning, getting paid, to cooperatively achieve a shared objective.

The greater part of most people's free time is probably spent with similar others, i.e. family and/or friends with much in common.  Even so, while I can relate to different extents to what everyone has herein posted so far, there is a part of me that misses the cultural diversity of my onetime life in the big city.  Whereas there is a homogenous quality to the mixed races in my friendly rural community, I was never more socially active than when all of my friends were from different parts of the world.  For that to have been the case, I used foreign languages, sampled exotic foods and seldom did the same things during my limited spare time.

That is, of course, to ignore all of the disadvantages of living in a sprawling metropolis with which, by now, I would scarcely want to cope.

Peace be with y'all.

1 hour ago, Kismit said:

That is a horrible story about a non diversified group, working under a mob mentality.

Nothing diverse in the Mob. 

Non diversified groups of different ethnic origins in close proximity and at odds with one another, competing for the same resources. Think of parallels with the past; settlers and native Americans, Australians and aborigines, New Zealanders and Maori.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Molten said:

Diversity is the Trojan horse all over again.

So rather than scaremongering, what is your solution? Zero immigration to any other country ever? Racial nationalist policies? Countries not giving any rights at all to those who aren't from that land? Idiotically pontificating about building impractical walls? If you're so afraid of those who are different than you, how do you handle leaving your house in the morning? Unless you live in whitesville middle-america, you're going to have a hard time with the world at large.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

Non diversified groups of different ethnic origins in close proximity and at odds with one another, competing for the same resources. Think of parallels with the past; settlers and native Americans, Australians and aborigines, New Zealanders and Maori.

Just wondering how you made the connection from diversity in groups to invasion of countries.  That's quite a leap. Can you explain the process behind that.

6 hours ago, Molten said:

Diversity is the Trojan horse all over again.

And an expansion on this theory in context to the op would be good too, cheers.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Podo said:

So rather than scaremongering, what is your solution? Zero immigration to any other country ever? Racial nationalist policies? Countries not giving any rights at all to those who aren't from that land? Idiotically pontificating about building impractical walls? If you're so afraid of those who are different than you, how do you handle leaving your house in the morning? Unless you live in whitesville middle-america, you're going to have a hard time with the world at large.

I live in poverty and see first hand how diversity is destroying the United States not making it better. It's the white rich fools who live in gated communities who are blinded to what is really going on and scream for more diversity.

My solution is to not allow people into a country who do not want to be a part of that countries culture. The way Japan does things is ideal.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Molten said:

I live in poverty and see first hand how diversity is destroying the United States not making it better. It's the white rich fools who live in gated communities who are blinded to what is really going on and scream for more diversity.

Again we are talking about non-diversified groups. White rich fools who live in gated communities. A new sub-species of human?

The topic is about diversification in groups. Not groups of non-diversified people against other groups of non-diversified people.

I don't live in a gated community I am not rich, but I have been fortunate enough to experience diversity openly.

I see others everyday who live in a world of stereotypes and generalisations that block their own ability to discover.

I ask every poster who has treated diversity i(n a group setting)as an invasion or gang war to describe to me their own experiences outside of their comfort zones, amongst other cultures

P.S. I may not be rich, but I have definitely experienced discrimination for owning my own home. And apparently suffering from the evil of wealth.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Molten said:

My solution is to not allow people into a country who do not want to be a part of that countries culture. The way Japan does things is ideal.

Keeping out people who want to improve their lives is not going to help your poverty any, and stands a good chance of making it worse as who knows, they may start a business and give you a job.  I don't know why you live in poverty, so it is hard to comment on the validity of your thinking, but it doesn't seem very clear.

The way Japan does things is to keep almost everyone out.  That is why the Japanese economy has not grown at all in a couple decades, and as the population ages it is beginning to get measurably poorer.  Japan, however, makes a poor example since it has more than enough people now.  Other countries are luckier and can deal with the baby collapse by accepting young immigrants.

I think it would be reasonable to require people under a certain age to learn the predominant language, at least well enough to get around.  Other than that, the aspects of the culture of the immigrant will enrich the locals -- i.e., Italian restaurants.  The history of immigrants is that the first generation isolates themselves into ghettos, the second less and the third is indistinguishable from natives.  This didn't happen with black Americans because of Jim Crow but is beginning to now;  American Latins are also still distinguishable, depending on how long ago their ancestors came in.

Gated communities are all the thing in Thailand, inhabited mainly by Western expatiates.  It is much the same in Mexico.  Guess what these people do?  They bring in money from elsewhere and spend it.  This sort of immigrant tends to be welcomed everywhere and is not the issue.

• Like 2

And lets not forget diversity is not just race or culture, it is belief and up bringing. It is a different way of thinking to ours.

• Like 3

When did I blame anyone for my poverty? It was brought up as a response to Podo's comment.

I see most of you are not even from USA so you really have no clue what it's like living in a once nice safe neighborhood to have it then become a totally shithole.

The only problem I have with rich people is how they do not see what is happening to the world around them because it doesn't effect them. They can just move if things become undesirable.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Molten said:

Okay so your stance is one against rich/poor class inequality, but you're blaming immigrants. Good job, buddy!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Podo said:

Okay so your stance is one against rich/poor class inequality, but you're blaming immigrants. Good job, buddy!

No, he is complaining because the idiots who make such policies either cannot or WILL not accept that they often cause harm.  Merkel's actions in Germany are a perfect example.  It makes me wonder how far into actual civil war, Europe will have to trudge before its governments take a stand.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, and then said:

No, he is complaining because the idiots who make such policies either cannot or WILL not accept that they often cause harm.  Merkel's actions in Germany are a perfect example.  It makes me wonder how far into actual civil war, Europe will have to trudge before its governments take a stand.  

False equivalence. The issues in Europe stem from atrocious immigration policies, not immigrants themselves. All immigration problems can be traced back to those who make the legislation. You can't blame a foreigner who has no knowledge of the culture he's in for his countercultural actions if the system itself is allowing such situations to happen. Obviously those who break laws must be dealt with on an individual basis, but blaming the immigrants is like treating a symptom, whereas the inherent cause of the problem is the systems in place. If one does not like the immigration situation, that's valid, but blaming the immigrants when one should be blaming the established immigration policies is just ignorance. Who makes the legislation? The rich, the powerful (in most cases, not all countries share this paradigm). The whole crux of the problem is class divide, much more than it is a racial or cultural divide.

Edited by Podo
  • Like 1

This thread isn't even about immigration. But it is very interesting to see that that, is what some of you got out of it.

This from the original link.

Results of a study cited in the link.

Democrats who were told that a fellow Democrat disagreed with them prepared less well for the discussion than Democrats who were told that a Republican disagreed with them. Republicans showed the same pattern. When disagreement comes from a socially different person, we are prompted to work harder. Diversity jolts us into cognitive action in ways that homogeneity simply does not.

The post is about how individually,  when faced with working with someone who has a different perspective to our own, we are more likely to be prepared with information that can be shared.

This appears to be carried out by both parties. Preparing either for mental battle or for clearer communication, by bringing extra information to the party.

When immigrants move into an area they do bring their own cultural beliefs, they rarely move outside of their own comfort circles. And they can fail to diversify. A failure to accept diversification into the culture they choose to adopt limits their own mental growth. However that is as stated, a symptom of poor immigration policy and not connected to the research studies collated in the original link.

• Like 2

How Diversity Makes Us Smarter

Smarter by whose measure?

Frankly, I don't like being told what I should believe and that I'm ignorant if I don't.

• Like 2