Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why does Tim Michin hate Religion so much?

ali smack

I've watched a lot of Tim Minchin and realised how much he has this  hatred of Religion.

I know he's intitled to his view. But "Staunch Atheists" such as him always annoy me.

They will go on about how liberal they are. And how much they hate people that are judgemental and prejudice, even though

they are the most judgemental and prejudice people. Ricky Gervais is just as bad. They are very arrogant, self righteous people and give atheists a bad name.

I wonder why you get a lot of people like this. Who proclaim to be liberal when there not?

Why do "staunch atheists" always annoy you?  Maybe the reason staunch religionists annoy atheists is much the same?

• Like 9

Yeah, it's called arrogance and intolerance, something both sides have in abundance. Or it's Firewater's fault.                         moviereview_sausageparty_081216_image7.j

Edited by Hammerclaw

1 hour ago, ali smack said:

I've watched a lot of Tim Minchin and realised how much he has this  hatred of Religion.

I know he's intitled to his view. But "Staunch Atheists" such as him always annoy me.

They will go on about how liberal they are. And how much they hate people that are judgemental and prejudice, even though

they are the most judgemental and prejudice people. Ricky Gervais is just as bad. They are very arrogant, self righteous people and give atheists a bad name.

I wonder why you get a lot of people like this. Who proclaim to be liberal when there not?

Forgive them, they know not what they say. They've probably got a bit of personal history feeding into their attitude. Neither man comes from a culture where religion is at all intrusive in the public sphere, though no doubt there are private domains where it is. I don't think children ought to be exposed to religious ideas at all, they can make up their own minds in adulthood. I don't think Tim and Ricky have much to complain about on their home ground, it does look like they are tapping into a populist atheist trend, rather than leading it. I'm not annoyed by them, they are as boring as hell though, peddling their dogma as if they are firmly in possession of the truth, which is rather ironic when you think about it.

It is all tit for tat,  but I don't find atheist knocking on my door, telling their way is the only way. I have been told countless times I am going to hell for my beliefs and after awhile it gets kind of old and that is when I lash out. It is not judgement my part, it is defence.  If you are standing on my porch wanting to discuss the Bible, I am more than happy to pick it apart for you and point out its flaws.  With all the Youtube posts that proclaim Christian dogma as truth and the attempts at putting it in secular schools to indoctrinate children, or base law on religious doctrine,  can you blame atheist for lashing out.  (I am pointing it out from a perspective of living in the USA.)  if you don't like what they post they, too bad for you, as they have the right to post their opinion, as you have the right to post yours. 

• Like 8

11 hours ago, ali smack said:

Simple .....   its the rebound effect . 

If you love peace ... you hate it when peace disturbed ..   If you break the law , say be restricting another's freedom and taking their goodies, your freedom will be restricted and no access to your goodies  .  

If you  love liberty, you will hate those that oppress  ,  if you love freedom you may want to restrict people that try to restrict freedom. 

If you support anyone's right to have whatever religion, you might not allow a religion that insists it is the only one and everyone else should join it  and there should be religious control of the state. 

Its the  ' paradox of liberty ' 

If you are liberal , you might act against those who are against liberty, to preserve liberty .....   simple ! 

• Like 3

He probably hates it for the same reason most of us hate it: he probably had a bad experience with it in his past, or he simply sees it as a negative force in the world. Beyond that, he's a comedian, and comedians make their living employing hyperbole to cleverly make people laugh and/or think. Even if he didn't hate it as much when he started, he probably does now because he's spent so many years talking about it.

• Like 4

When I first went to the States (I was in my late teens back in the '60s) I had several bad experiences with Christians.  As a naive young guy who had grown up in a somewhat Buddhist but not seriously Buddhist environment (we went to Temple maybe once a month and of course had monks over for special events, but that was about it and I never studied Buddhism back then), I think I stood out as a supreme target for Christian indoctrination and conversion.

The experiences, with Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormons, Paulist Fathers (Roman Catholic) and some sort of Protestant fundamentalist that never got clearly identified with a known group (I think it was just a guy off preaching to a small congregation on his own) all went rather badly.  They all got irate and accused me of arrogance when I asked what seemed to me simple questions, not with a purpose to challenge but just to understand.  They all expected me to just accept whatever they told me, whether I understood it or not.

Nothing ever seriously bad happened, although I had to insist a couple of times to stop calling on me, that I had school work to do, and I had learned what I needed.  The fact is, Christianity is an arrogant religion (it teaches it is the only way) and rather dumb from my point of view -- there were these two, Adam and Eve, who sinned by eating a forbidden fruit and hence brought a curse on all mankind that needed redemption through the sacrifice of Jesus.  Really?!?

A simple question like, "Why would God curse all mankind when it was just the two who did the bad thing, and what was so bad anyway? would bring out the ire and arrogance.  Probably the worst problem I had was with the dishonesty -- making claims about the Bible (claimed prophesies and so on) and the history of life on the earth and things like that that I knew already were false, and they had never bothered to check, or merely denied the validity of the experts.

I have no doubt many Christians are not like that, and I know Christians do a lot of good in the world (but also a lot of harm -- especially the arrogant, self-righteous "missionaries" we see here breaking up families and trying to destroy native traditions.  They do irritate me.  For the most part it is, for me, "live and let live," but there are times when I would like to see the whole bunch booted out on their butts.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Podo said:

..... or he simply sees it as a negative force in the world. 

I was reminded of this passage from 'Storm'

Life is full of mystery, yeah
But there are answers out there
And they won't be found
By people sitting around
Looking serious
And saying isn't life mysterious?
Let's sit here and hope
Let's call up the ****ing Pope
Let's go watch Oprah
Interview Deepak Chopra

If you're going to watch tele, you should watch Scooby Doo.
That show was so cool
because every time there's a church with a ghoul
Or a ghost in a school
They looked beneath the mask and what was inside?
The ****ing janitor or the dude who runs the waterslide.
Throughout history
Every mystery
Ever solved has turned out to be
Not Magic.

Does the idea that there might be truth
Frighten you?
Does the idea that one afternoon
On Wiki-****ing-pedia might enlighten you
Frighten you?
Does the notion that there may not be a supernatural
So blow your hippy noodle
That you would rather just stand in the fog
Of your inability to Google?

Isn't this enough?

Just this world?

Just this beautiful, complex
Wonderfully unfathomable, NATURAL world?
How does it so fail to hold our attention
That we have to diminish it with the invention
Of cheap, man-made Myths and Monsters?

• Like 3

21 hours ago, ali smack said:

• Like 1

Poor old Ricky and Tim, sooooooo sure they "know"...... As Harry Callahan famously said, a man has to know his limitations, and smart people don't involve themselves in deeming God non-existent. They leave that to guessers like Tim and Ricky.

15 hours ago, Grandpa Greenman said:

With all the Youtube posts that proclaim Christian dogma as truth and the attempts at putting it in secular schools to indoctrinate children, or base law on religious doctrine,  can you blame atheist for lashing out.  (I am pointing it out from a perspective of living in the USA.)

I be you are just going to love Betsy  DeVos.  If she can't give kids a good Christian education, at least she can sign their parents up in Amway.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, The Butler said:

Life is full of mystery, yeah
But there are answers out there
And they won't be found
By people sitting around
Looking serious
And saying isn't life mysterious?
Let's sit here and hope
Let's call up the ****ing Pope
Let's go watch Oprah
Interview Deepak Chopra

If you're going to watch tele, you should watch Scooby Doo.
That show was so cool
because every time there's a church with a ghoul
Or a ghost in a school
They looked beneath the mask and what was inside?
The ****ing janitor or the dude who runs the waterslide.
Throughout history
Every mystery
Ever solved has turned out to be
Not Magic.

Does the idea that there might be truth
Frighten you?
Does the idea that one afternoon
On Wiki-****ing-pedia might enlighten you
Frighten you?
Does the notion that there may not be a supernatural
So blow your hippy noodle
That you would rather just stand in the fog
Of your inability to Google?

Isn't this enough?

Just this world?

Just this beautiful, complex
Wonderfully unfathomable, NATURAL world?
How does it so fail to hold our attention
That we have to diminish it with the invention
Of cheap, man-made Myths and Monsters?

Ummmmm no, habitat  .... see all them question marks  ?  

Now, was my question a 'guess' too ?     

Carefull !      Remember what happened last time you tried this one on    ? 

Related image

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ali smack said:

I do not see how they are not being liberal. George Carlin too puts religion into perspective. They are not arrogant, they are not self righteous, have a good close listen to what they say, and attempt to meet their criticisms, one cannot. 

People have always protested through the arts. Music is another medium whereby views on politics and racism are often showcased. 

A heck of a lot of people agree with what they say, religion is just so widespread and somewhat untouchable that fewer people express such as openly. It can be career damaging or apply labels that are bigoted. There is a good reason that by far the majority of academics are atheist. As Atheism is more and more accepted, I would be surprised if we do not see a heck of a lot more of this. 

You might note they only "people" they judge, such as the Pope and Cardinal Pell have serious and grave allegations facing them, that they are hiding from. In general, it is the religion, not the people who have had little choice but to be religious after indoctrination, removing that choice form and individual, curbing free will before free will can develop. Something I feel is worth being offended by. Ricky Gervais I thought put that very well when he said religion is like cancer, he hates cancer, but he does not at all hate people with cancer. He hates religion, but he does not hate people who are religious. The reasons for that are the ones you will find in any debate in Spirituality Vs Skepticism. Too much detail for one post though.

If these people make others uncomfortable, that might only be perceived as arrogance, when what is really happening is that logic and reason pushes one out of their religious comfort zone. Few like to admit to that I would imagine. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, back to earth said:

Ummmmm no, habitat  .... see all them question marks  ?  

Now, was my question a 'guess' too ?     

Carefull !      Remember what happened last time you tried this one on    ? 

Related image

You would think he could at least find new terms hey, now, anyone that does not support his silly claims is a guesser. No matter if highly qualified in a University or an entertainer.

*snip*

Edited by Kismit
No need for dertogatory remarks.
  • Like 3

Today at Redcliffe, I encountered a bloke wandering the street in a shopping precinct, wearing a sandwich board, worded with something about the "lamb of God". He attempted to engage a couple walking ahead of me, who declined, saying "not today". He asked "what about tomorrow ?" He must have been sent by the beyond to contradict my claim that people are not bugged by preachers in Australia.

• Like 1

I would suggest that Tim, just like me, does not hate religion, he just hates the evil done in it's name, or using it as a shield.

But God fixed my Mum's cataracts, so what would I know....

Do not click that link if already offended by Tim's awesome sense of humour, or extreme blasphemy....

But give the guy a chance - may I suggest this link for an indication of his thoughtful perception and ability to write beautiful music and insightful lyrics.

That makes me get very emotional.....   and yes, I'm a HUGE fan of Tim.

• Like 4

In that case you are just a deluded victim like little Tim. Except Tim i$ ca$hing on on a fa$hion. That makes you a "charity" propagandist !

6 hours ago, ChrLzs said:

That makes me get very emotional.....   and yes, I'm a HUGE fan of Tim.

:tu:

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Habitat said:

Today at Redcliffe, I encountered a bloke wandering the street in a shopping precinct, wearing a sandwich board, worded with something about the "lamb of God". He attempted to engage a couple walking ahead of me, who declined, saying "not today". He asked "what about tomorrow ?" He must have been sent by the beyond to contradict my claim that people are not bugged by preachers in Australia.

Must have ..... either that or you guessed . 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Habitat said:

In that case you are just a deluded victim like little Tim. Except Tim i$ ca$hing on on a fa$hion. That makes you a "charity" propagandist !

My God !   IS he ????    A professional entertainer  utilising  the fashions, concepts and issues of his time  ?   .....  and to make some money out  of it as well ?  

What is the world coming to    ! ? 

Tut tut tut .... this shatters my credulity of Tim  completely !         :D

• Like 4

Tim certainly is a guesser, about the subject matter, but there are people in this world who have an acute sense for which way the metaphorical wind is blowing, for what is becoming the fashion, and have a will to cash in. They can smell an opportunity. Tim is making a quid out of atheist thralls, for all I know he may be completely ambivalent about the subject. He is making a dollar from it, I can't tell what he thinks in reality. But it is different here, with the "charity" atheists, their motives are not so difficult to unravel. It is crystal clear they are not convinced at all, or they would not keep blowing the trumpet in these types of threads. They are engaged in an ongoing campaign, to convince themselves. Which is good, they may yet happen on a more appropriate viewpoint, than drear atheism.

24 minutes ago, Habitat said:

they may yet happen on a more appropriate viewpoint, than drear atheism

You mean yours and yours alone viewpoint.

• Like 2

Tim is cashing in on Atheism is he now???

LOL, what a joke! 2.4% of the world identify as "Atheist" 

So in order to fleece the world and make millions, his business decision was to pick the smallest population of the lot and squeeze the 2.4% for his "riches" LOL.

I think we can see quite clearly who the real "guesser" is here!! :w00t: 

That makes as much sense as me giving up major construction to specialize purely in repairing old CT monitors or Sony Walkmans. Even L Ron Hubbard was onto that cash cow. Seems a more than ridiculous speculation. 

• Like 5

Does this ot pretty much answer the question?

“Science adjusts its views based on what's observed
Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved.”

― Tim Minchin

5188809.jpg

• Like 4