Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Fish spontaneously combust

seeder

Dive deep enough into the world's oceans and you will enter the twilight zone. This region, between 200 and 1,000m beneath the ocean's surface, earns its name because only the faintest hints of sunlight can reach such depths. The rest is absorbed and lost in the waters above.

Temperatures here can drop as low as 4C and water pressures reach about 10,000 kilopascals (1450 pounds per square inch), the equivalent of one person trying to support the weight of five Boeing 747s. With visibility levels almost zero, there is not enough light to support photosynthesis and so plants cannot exist at these depths

Long article, key bit:

Lanternfish have an extremely high oil content, making them very hard to handle. Once the catch was aboard, it spoiled quickly in the high tropical temperatures, and began to degrade dangerously quickly. The temperature rose to such a high level in the decomposing fish that they spontaneously caught fire. An uncontrollable blaze swept through and destroyed the entire fishery plant.

http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20170113-the-race-to-fish-the-larder-living-in-the-twilight-zone

• Like 1

Wow thanks for the link&newsREPORT ! always surprising and VERY INTERESTING from you Seeder THANKS! still seems a bit fishy to me.

.... I know that was pretty weak. Indeed -- A GROOOOOOAAAAAANER ! to be sure.

What I don't get ARE the pressures, how does anything work in the super deep let alone deeper than 200 feet ! cripes!!!.  Was down maybe? oh over 40 feet just playing some game with sparkle bottles one summer and THAT WAS THE DUMBEST THING I've EVER DONE.... one slip up or anything and it seemed you'd be dead and that's hardly deep at all !

Edited by MWoo7
corrected is toooooo>>> ARE ! cripes.
  • Like 1

That is a very good survival mechanism. At least humans don't dare kill them for food.

• Like 3

I dunno. A fresh caught fish that cooks itself sounds ideal!

Pass me a bread bun and some mayo.....and wait till that fish is cooked!!

• Like 6

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! HERE HERE ! SEEDER ! ""  Pass me a bread bun and some mayo.....and wait till that fish is cooked!! """

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

That is a very good survival mechanism. At least humans don't dare kill them for food.

Parker? 

guys fresh fish that cook themselves might be ok but

The temperature rose to such a high level in the decomposing fish

please do not eat the rotting explosive zombie fish

• Like 4