Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NATO obsolete?

Unusual Tournament

6 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

Every person in the military are yes men. Its the way its designed. To disobey an order from a superior is a crime.

He's already retired from the military. He could easily resign from his Cabinet post in protest over misguided policies of the President. 

I do not think NATO is obsolete, the threat from Russia is still real.  However, it does need reworked/overhauled.  Turkey, for a start, needs to be kicked out.  The rest I'll have to think about for a while.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

Maybe. But pretty silly to have such an imbecile sitting in the oval office playing childish games. I think we're going to miss Obama, Bush and Clinton. Clinton was also a smoke blower it must be said but Clinton blew smoke in more interesting places.

He knows what he's doing, don't let him fool ya. When someone like that is able to make it all the way into the oval office, I'd say they are far from being a imbecile or playing childish games, being slick and manipulative is what I call it. Don't base your judgment about him from the way he talks and what he says that sounds stupid, judge him on his actions instead.

• Like 1

If you think about it, NATO is obsolete. It was to protect against encroachment of the Soviet Union. Which included all of Eastern Europe at the time. Including East Germany, Poland and Ukraine. People under 40 don't really understand what the Soviet Union was like. The rest of Europe needed to be Protected. They were demolished by WW2 and if the Soviets got their wheels rolling, they could have came right through the Fulda Gap and taken Germany, France with little trouble.

Today the EU includes almost all of Europe, including most of the former Soviet block states of Europe. The shadow of Russia doesn't reach nearly as far as the USSR's shadow did. And the EU is twice, or three times as powerful as it once was. Today the EU could more then handle a Russian incursion, and really what is Russia going to do? Take a Baltic state, or a piece of Finland? The threat just isn't to a whole Hemisphere like it once was. Europe can more then take care of itself at this point.

That is not to say we shouldn't have military agreements with our neighbors and allies, but I don't think we need a separate entity (that swallows masses of tax money) to do what NATO once did.

• Like 2