Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Tiny Moth Named for Trump

Claire.

Small Honor: Tiny Moth Named for Trump

A miniscule moth with a wingspan of just 0.4 inches (9 millimeters) is the first species to be named for the soon-to-be president of the United States, Donald Trump. Yellow and white scales topping the moth's head resemble Trump's signature hairstyle, inspiring the name Neopalpa donaldtrumpi, wrote evolutionary biologist Vazrick Nazari, a systematics assistant for Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, in a new study.

The moth's habitat extends from Southern California in the U.S. through Baja California in Mexico. The wall that the president-elect has proposed building along the border between the two countries could divide that stretch.

Read more: Live Science

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Claire. said:

Small Honor: Tiny Moth Named for Trump

A miniscule moth with a wingspan of just 0.4 inches (9 millimeters) is the first species to be named for the soon-to-be president of the United States, Donald Trump. Yellow and white scales topping the moth's head resemble Trump's signature hairstyle, inspiring the name Neopalpa donaldtrumpi, wrote evolutionary biologist Vazrick Nazari, a systematics assistant for Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, in a new study.

The moth's habitat extends from Southern California in the U.S. through Baja California in Mexico. The wall that the president-elect has proposed building along the border between the two countries could divide that stretch.

Read more: Live Science

I was fine with it until I read this:

The shapes of certain folds and pouch-like structures on N. donaldtrumpi's genitalia were also unique to the species, Nazari wrote in the study.

:lol: Too much information!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, .ZZ. said:

I was fine with it until I read this:

:lol: Too much information!

Yeah no kidding. That definitely was a visual I could have done without. :lol:

• Like 1

Ahh..how sweet. Trump must be honoured they thought about him. No doubt this is not as big as the Trump Tower and soon to be Trump House and one day Trump airport..Trump space station..etc etc etc...

• Like 1

Yeah, and Russia was blamed for the cult of personality... Looks like today the toy cults of personality are blossoming around the globe. It's sorta so modern and stylish.

This isn't that surprising; plenty of presidents have species named after them. Obama currently has the most, with 10 scientific names honoring him.

I know, but

6 minutes ago, Carnoferox said:

This isn't that surprising; plenty of presidents have species named after them. Obama currently has the most, with 10 scientific names honoring him.

I know, but isn't it a bit too early to honour him? Did he do anything outstanding, historically significant? Yes, I know. It's just that entomologist is a fan of him, nothing else. Like was in the case with Anophthalmus hitleri. Bad comparison, of course, but I think you'll excuse me for it. I just wanted to say, naming a living thing or an asteroid after a politician is a bit too light-minded.

Edited by Chaldon
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Chaldon said:

I know, but

I know, but isn't it a bit too early to honour him? Did he do anything outstanding, historically significant? Yes, I know. It's just that entomologist is a fan of him, nothing else. Like was in the case with Anophthalmus hitleri. Bad comparison, of course, but I think you'll excuse me for it. I just wanted to say, naming a living thing or an asteroid after a politician is a bit too light-minded.

Personally, I would never name a species after a politician either. I think specific names should be reserved for scientists or the animal's discoverer.

• Like 3

Well another honour to the big business man known as Trump....now people are calling him a politician,  reckon he will see that as a compliment concidering we has not unpacked yet.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Chaldon said:

I know, but isn't it a bit too early to honour him?

Sort of reminds me of the Nobel Peace Prize for Obama... Just sayin...

Edited by SgtTechHead
  • Like 2

I guess that say's alot about Trumps inches,lol...........and his tanning bed eye goggle marks and a bad comb over.....

• Like 2