Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

World's First Gorilla Born in Captivity Dies

Claire.

Colo, the World's First Gorilla Born in Captivity, Is Dead

Sixty years ago, a tiny gorilla made its debut at the Columbus Zoo in Ohio. Her name was Colo, and she wasn’t just any primate: She was the first ever to be born in captivity. The adorable baby grew into a formidable matriarch, but now the animal who captured the imagination of conservationists and charmed the American public is no more. As the Associated Press reports, Colo is dead.

Read more: Smithsonian

• Like 1

1 minute ago, oldrover said:

I 'like' the post that tells me this, but Christ what a life. 60 years in captivity. It can't be right. 

It's most definitely not right. I couldn't help but note the irony of posting this under 'Natural World' — something Colo never got to experience.

• Like 4

In a way, it sort of reminds me of the people who spent their entire lives institutionalised, because they were born to institutionalised mothers. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, oldrover said:

In a way, it sort of reminds me of the people who spent their entire lives institutionalised, because they were born to institutionalised mothers.

That's a perfect analogy. I wonder what happened to Colo's kids. The article mentioned that she had three children, 16 grandchildren, 12 great-grandchildren, and three great-great grandchildren — but nothing on where they might be. Other zoos I imagine.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2017 at 9:26 PM, oldrover said:

Your post reminded me of this video:

• Like 2

Poor beast.  But on a brighter note we are fortunate not to live on the Planet of the Apes ;)

• Like 2