Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What to Do with Your Amputated Leg

Claire.

What to Do with Your Amputated Leg

When Oklahoma native Kristi Loyall had her foot removed, she got it back in a plastic bag. In 2011, Loyall noticed that her right pinky toe was numb. Despite a series of doctors’ visits, the numbness spread and grew painful. It turned out her foot and lower leg had cancer. As soon as her new oncologist suggested amputation, Loyall asked about keeping the severed limb. “He thought I was joking, and I was like no, I really want it back,” the 25-year-old Loyall told NewsHour.

Maybe you’ve had a part of your body removed, a kidney stone or a frostbitten toe, and the hospital disposed of it after the procedure. But what if you had wanted to keep it for your mantle or to scare your friends at Halloween? Sometimes, doctors refuse to give back the body parts, saying that it’s “a biohazard” or “illegal.” Yet, neither of these are completely true. Keeping your own body part isn’t inherently anymore dangerous than keeping a steak, experts say.

Read more: Scientific American

• Like 1

I'm sure findus would buy it, good filler material for the horse lasagne 

• Like 2

Oh that's nasty. Bin the bloody thing. 

I once knew a girl who went with her parents to clear out her late uncle's house. When they got there it was quite the treasure trove of family bits and pieces. 

• Like 2

Sometimes, doctors refuse to give back the body parts, saying that it’s “a biohazard” or “illegal.” 

Most of the body parts are sold to labs for MONEY the rest goes to Taco bell.

• Like 5

I'd have my leg mummified then mounted on my wall over my portrait of Jessica Alba.  I could then tell lies to strangers in bars without feeling too guilty.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Eldorado said:

I'd have my leg mummified then mounted on my wall over my portrait of Jessica Alba.  I could then tell lies to strangers in bars without feeling too guilty.

I 'liked' because I read the 'mummified then mounted on my wall' bit. The rest may be a little creepy!

I'd stick my limb in a hole and grow a tree from it! 

• Like 2

I would dump my leg somewhere where it would be found, and then have a few cheap laughs reading news headlines about a possible homicide as police and volunteers scour the area for more body parts. Okay, I wouldn't, but the thought would definitely cross my mind.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Claire. said:

I would dump my leg somewhere where it would be found, and then have a few cheap laughs reading news headlines about a possible homicide as police and volunteers scour the area for more body parts. Okay, I wouldn't, but the thought would definitely cross my mind.

This is a whole new side of you that I wouldn't have expected from the rest of your posts. Hope we didn't get off on the wrong foot.

• Like 2

My husband had a toe amputated. He threatened to bring it home. I threatened him with divorce. Then we laughed and laughed and laughed.

But when I picked him up from the amputations clinic, the young man in the bed next to him held a paper bag up for his girlfriend and shook it with a smile on his face.

*shudders*

Edited by Kismit
  • Like 3

I thought of those silly jokes from last century 

what do you call a woman with one leg ?

Eileen

what do you call a man with no legs ?

Neil

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Kismit said:

A man with no legs and no arms floating in the Ocean?

Bob

• Like 2

When I was a kid I had an uncle who kept his amputated thumb in a jar of formaldehyde. When we went to his house to visit, we'd sometimes ask to see his thumb. He would open a cupboard in the dining room and take out the jar and show us that ugly wrinkled thumb floating inside. We stood there and oohed and aahed for a while, then he'd put the jar back in the cupboard. One time I asked him how he lost his thumb. He said a cat bit it off. I didn't believe him though.

2 hours ago, .ZZ. said:

What do you call a woman on a tennis court with no arms or legs?

Annette

What do you call a Man by the front door with no arms and no legs?

BTW Simplybill, he was probably cutting cabbage or firewood. It is still yuck though. :cry:

Edited by Kismit
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Kismit said:

Annette

What do you call a Man by the front door with no arms and no legs?

Matt

• Like 2

I still do not understand why anyone would want to keep an amputated limb. It's like having a constant reminder of what was lost. The rationale behind this mindset just eludes me just like having a deceased pet freeze dried so you can keep its corpse around while you pretend it is still alive.

I..I just can't connect with this.

• Like 1