Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Chelsea Manning to be FREED!

seeder

WASHINGTON — President Obama on Tuesday largely commuted the remaining prison sentence of Chelsea Manning, the army intelligence analyst convicted of an enormous 2010 leak that revealed American military and diplomatic activities across the world, disrupted the administration, and made WikiLeaks, the recipient of those disclosures, famous.

The decision by Mr. Obama rescued Ms. Manning, who twice tried to commit suicide last year, from an uncertain future as a transgender woman incarcerated at the male military prison at Fort Leavenworth, Kan. She has been jailed for nearly seven years, and her 35-year sentence was by far the longest punishment ever imposed in the United States for a leak conviction.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/17/us/politics/obama-commutes-bulk-of-chelsea-mannings-sentence.html?_r=0

• Like 2

I'm glad she wasn't pardoned. What she did is unforgivable. Unvetted dunping of hundreds of thousands da of documents. Yes some good came of them but that was only from a handful of those documents. 

Im waiting on the Pardon for Snowden.

Edited by Thanato
  • Like 5

The best part of this is the fact that Assange stated that he would agree to be extradited to the US if Obama showed clemency to Manning. My day has been made. Let's see if he stays true to his word because if ever that happened, and if ever he was tried, I'd want a front row seat.

• Like 2

Just now, Claire. said:

The best part of this is the fact that Assange stated that he would agree to be extradited to the US if Obama showed clemency to Manning. My day has been made. Let's see if he stays true to his word because if ever that happened, and if ever he was tried, I'd want a front row seat.

Probabaly one of the reasons for this.

• Like 1

Didnt Snowdon say he will hand himself in/surrender if Chelsea was set free?

• Like 1

Nope I got it wrong...it was Assange

WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange agrees to extradition if Barack Obama releases U.S. military whistleblower Chelsea Manning

WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange to agree to be extradited to United States if President Obama grants Chelsea Manning clemency
    Manning is serving a 35-year sentence for leaking U.S. military documents
    WikiLeaks tweeted on Thursday saying Assange will agree to extradition
    He has been in Ecuadoran embassy in London since June 2012

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4115754/WikiLeaks-founder-Julian-Assange-agrees-extradition-Barack-Obama-releases-U-S-military-whistleblower-Chelsea-Manning.html#ixzz4W3nBJ8tr

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, seeder said:

Didnt Snowdon say he will hand himself in/surrender if Chelsea was set free?

I don't believe so. I think he asked Obama to pardon Manning over himself. I cannot recall where I read that but will look for a source.

EDIT - He made the statement on his Twitter account:

Edited by Claire.
Added source link.
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Claire. said:

I don't believe so. I think he asked Obama to pardon Manning over himself. I cannot recall where I read that but will look for a source.

Well in glad they didn't pardon manning. She does not deserve a pardon.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Thanato said:

Well in glad they didn't pardon manning. She does not deserve a pardon.

I agree, although I do think her sentence was disproportionately unjust. Granting her clemency was the right thing to do given the prison time already served.

• Like 1

Just now, Claire. said:

I agree, although I do think her sentence was disproportionately unjust. Granting her clemency was the right thing to do given the prison time already served.

I don't think so. She has no idea what she was doing when she released the information. I wouldn't count her as a whistle blower, like Snowden. She leaked classified information that just happened to contain compromising information. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Claire. said:

Yep we all know how the left hate anyone who exposes the criminals among you. SMH

19 minutes ago, aztek said:

it would be extremely  stupid for any of them to come here. they will be locked up for life.

My thoughts exactly when I first heard whispers of this. Assange, don't be a fool. They won't care if your heart was in the right place.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

My thoughts exactly when I first heard whispers of this. Assange, don't be a fool. They won't care if your heart was in the right place.

I think Assange has had enough of the embassy. Still, Id rather be there than in a proper jail

• Like 2

Just now, seeder said:

I think Assange has had enough of the embassy. Still, Id rather be there than in a proper jail

I'd much rather be there than under the intense incarceration that Chelsea Manning has endured for years.

24/7 lights for days, cold temperatures and no clothing making sleep impossible, occasionally blasting music into the cell for the same purpose while keeping a close eye for any suicide attempts - wouldn't want her to end the suffering prematurely. It's horrific.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

Yep we all know how the left hate anyone who exposes the criminals among you. SMH

As it happens, that's not the reason I detest Assange, but I guess it was to be expected that this discussion would eventually deteriorate to generalities and insults.

1 hour ago, Thanato said:

I don't think so. She has no idea what she was doing when she released the information. I wouldn't count her as a whistle blower, like Snowden. She leaked classified information that just happened to contain compromising information.

I can't speak to her state of mind or her intentions, apart from what she herself has stated. But I agree, it was a HUGE information dump. There is no way she read and or vetted hundreds of thousands of documents before releasing them, and in typical fashion Wikileaks did the same, irrespective of whom they may endangered in doing so.

Edited by Claire.

1 hour ago, Claire. said:

Lol. If he was to actually do that, I just might reconsider his denial that Russian Hackers gave him the DNC E-mail information. Doubt it though.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Purifier said:

Lol. If he was to actually do that, I just might reconsider his denial that Russian Hackers gave him the DNC E-mail information. Doubt it though.

No response yet from Wikileaks as Assange is no doubt too busy kicking himself. There are suggestions that the decision to commute Manning's sentence might have been partially motivated by Assange's promise, but I suspect no one is stupid enough to make a decision on the word of someone like Assange.

As for Snowden, the government has made it clear that it won't (and can't) pardon him as he has yet to undergo a trial. Manning went through the military justice system, was found guilty, and served significant time. I also think compassion played a role as the conditions in which she was incarcerated were incredibly harsh.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Claire. said:

No response yet from Wikileaks as Assange is no doubt too busy kicking himself. There are suggestions that the decision to commute Manning's sentence might have been partially motivated by Assange's promise, but I suspect no one is stupid enough to make a decision on the word of someone like Assange.

As for Snowden, the government has made it clear that it won't (and can't) pardon him as he has yet to undergo a trial. Manning went through the military justice system, was found guilty, and served significant time. I also think compassion played a role as the conditions in which she was incarcerated were incredibly harsh.

There is precedent of a pardon without going to trial, so nothing would surprise me. 

President Ford pardoned Nixon without a trial. Yes, I realize we cannot compare Nixon with Snowden but it's still possible.

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/president-ford-pardons-former-president-nixon

• Like 3

I think Manning deserved to serve time so I'm glad she wasn't pardoned.  However I didn't think she should serve 35 years.

• Like 3

This shows that, for all the bad, Obama really is a good man. It's a shame Snowden probably won't receive similar.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ExpandMyMind said:

This shows that, for all the bad, Obama really is a good man. It's a shame Snowden probably won't receive similar.

Well Manning will still be a felon. Have a criminal record and have a hard time finding good work.

Snowden hasn't been charged, tried and convicted soo yea.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, .ZZ. said:

There is precedent of a pardon without going to trial, so nothing would surprise me. 

President Ford pardoned Nixon without a trial. Yes, I realize we cannot compare Nixon with Snowden but it's still possible.

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/president-ford-pardons-former-president-nixon

I found one more that was pardoned before being found guilty.

Deutch and his lawyers were reportedly on the verge of taking a plea deal with the Department of Justice when Clinton pardoned him in 2001.

http://dailycaller.com/2016/10/11/hillarys-campaign-chair-got-advice-from-a-cia-director-who-was-caught-mishandling-classified-info/#ixzz4PYhLL1rt

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, .ZZ. said:

No we can't compare the two, but Nixon is a good example nonetheless. I had time to do some research now that the eaglet live stream is down (which I am totally p***ed about, by the way) and found a Supreme Court ruling on preemptive pardons. In Ex parte Garland (1866) the Supreme Court ruled (in short) that the President can issue a pardon at any time, even if charges haven't been filed.

• Like 1