Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What if America totally isolated itself?

F3SS

Sometimes when I see the snarky comments from outside telling America that we are becoming a joke to the rest of the free world I'm inclined to respond how I don't care because guess what? I don't. Most of US don't. Something tells me you all need US a hell of a lot more than we need you so onto the subject.

So what would happen if America became a strict isolationist country? Citizens could still travel the world freely and immigration, albeit with extreme vetting, and all that American stuff still exists but trade and military operations are end. We defend our borders exclusively, nobody elses. Our military acts outside the country strictly when an act of war is enacted against US. Then we invade, win and leave said country. As for trade what do we need so bad from "the rest of the free world" in order to sustain our country's civilization? What can't we produce that is detrimental to society? We know we can be energy independent so we don't really need that from anyone. 

How does America not survive this hypothetical screw you?

edit: and how does the rest of the world fare without US?

Edited by F3SS
  • Like 3

Just now, Thanato said:

I could see Chinese and Russian aggressive expansion.

Against who?

5 minutes ago, F3SS said:

Against who?

Thier neighbours. Both Russia and China are already expanding, slowly but expanding. China is claiming basically the whole of the South China Sea and Russia made moves on both. Georgia and Ukraine under Putin. 

I would not expect either to sit in thier borders while there is a massive power vacuum.

Edited by Thanato
  • Like 4

Just now, Thanato said:

Thier neighbours. Both Russia and China are already expanding, slowly but expanding. China is claiming basically the whole of the South China Sea and Russia made moves on both. Georgia and Ukraine under Putin. 

I would not expect either to stinin thier borders while there is a massive power vacuum.

That's why I think it's ignorant of people to keep calling US a joke. None of that really is our problem. What if we did say screw everybody else? The joke won't be on US that's for sure.

• Like 1

Just now, F3SS said:

That's why I think it's ignorant of people to keep calling US a joke. None of that really is our problem. What if we did say screw everybody else? The joke won't be on US that's for sure.

If the US retreated into its boarders it won't stay there long as I would expect war would rise up and drag te US back out there.

right now now one can challenge the Us in military power, force projection and destructive power (sans nukes). If the Us abandons the rest of the world it would cause a massive power vacuum that I could only expect would bring war in Europe and Asia.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Thanato said:

If the US retreated into its boarders it won't stay there long as I would expect war would rise up and drag te US back out there.

right now now one can challenge the Us in military power, force projection and destructive power (sans nukes). If the Us abandons the rest of the world it would cause a massive power vacuum that I could only expect would bring war in Europe and Asia.

But the Europeans and asians kept calling us a joke and we don't have their back anymore. What's in it for us to help them out? I know it's an extremely unrealistic hypothetical but the point is that there are an awful lot of people pointing at us with their noses in the air which is not the best way to treat someone you need lots more than they need you.

• Like 3

If the US completely walled itself off from all outside contact we would be hurt more simply because the rest of the world collectively has more resources than us.  A lot of industries would grind to a halt due to lack of materials here, whereas the rest of the world would be able to ride out the waves caused by our disappearance.

As far as another country trying to make a grab for a world/regional dictatorship/tyrannical government?  Who knows what would happen.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, F3SS said:

But the Europeans and asians kept calling us a joke and we don't have their back anymore. What's in it for us to help them out? I know it's an extremely unrealistic hypothetical but the point is that there are an awful lot of people pointing at us with their noses in the air which is not the best way to treat someone you need lots more than they need you.

Who is calling you that? Eastern Europeans seem to be quite happy that British, American, and Canadian soldiers are in thier nations to help counter the Russian Threat.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, F3SS said:

So what would happen if America became a strict isolationist country?

Europe manages to start yet another world war.

Edited by Thorvir
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, Wickian said:

If the US completely walled itself off from all outside contact we would be hurt more simply because the rest of the world collectively has more resources than us.  A lot of industries would grind to a halt due to lack of materials here, whereas the rest of the world would be able to ride out the waves caused by our disappearance.

As far as another country trying to make a grab for a world/regional dictatorship/tyrannical government?  Who knows what would happen.

Rare earth metals...vital in ALL electronics, and 95% of them come from China..

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Thanato said:

Who is calling you that? Eastern Europeans seem to be quite happy that British, American, and Canadian soldiers are in thier nations to help counter the Russian Threat.

Just skim through the threads here for starters. It's been a theme lately.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, F3SS said:

That's not what I'm hearing from people who were over there.

3 minutes ago, F3SS said:

Happy people aren't coming into the American threads to pat us on the back...they come in here angry and with a plan to bash us...

Edited by Agent0range
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Agent0range said:

Rare earth metals...vital in ALL electronics, and 95% of them come from China..

so what? we buy it because it is cheaper than mine our own, it can change overnight with regulations,

• Like 2

Just now, Agent0range said:

Happy people aren't coming into the American threads to pat us on the back...they come in here angry and with plan to bash us...

Yea I know and that's fine but they do it from high atop a pedestal that needs its legs kicked out on occasion.

• Like 3

You mean no cheeseburgers, ice-cream sundaes, McDonald’s, Ferris wheels, iPhones, iPads, Hollywood, pop music, or blue jeans ?
In my eyes America has been a global leader and sustainer of the free world during the past century.
People might laugh and poke fun at Trump and saying he is "making America look stupid again" but in fact America is still superpower number 1.
Now in regards to trade. Can any country survive without trade ? Probably, but trade is wealth and Trade is civilization so isolating isn't a good idea.

• Like 5

If America isolated itself from global trade it would risk missing the bus on technological advances. Also the world leader thing. A power vacuum would be created and filled by someone else. 

It actually wouldn't affect as many people outside of the state's as it would inside.

• Like 4

Well, speaking as a Brit, I hope America doesn't become more isolationist.

Despite Obama's attempts to sabotage our "special relationship" since WWII with his "back of the queue" comments on Brexit, Trump's made only positive gestures towards us so far.

I think it's maybe easy to take some of the comments on these forums to heart too. There are a number of posters who can't see beyond the "isms" that form their rigid world view, and they instantly - and often hypocritically - want to point fingers at people that don't share that view.

Personally, I was raised with a positive view of the U.S., and that view hasn't changed over the years.

• Like 9

Economically, it would be disastrous for us to suddenly close the doors.  Ours is an economy based off global supply lines and to just cut them off would ruin us for a generation.  If we slowly transition over a decade or so we would be alright.  You can't just survey and make mines and factories over night after all. 

Militarily, I could see Russia or China taking the world lead.  Using that clout to secure more resources and territory to push themselves ahead of the US. 

I would imagine global corporations draining the "brains" away from the US as well and possibly a black market forming in the US for foreign goods that the US would never make on it's own.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Agent0range said:

Happy people aren't coming into the American threads to pat us on the back...they come in here angry and with a plan to bash us...

Group Hug! I love you guys.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

We love you too, North America.  Until we tariff the crap out of you! AHAHHHAHAHA.  JK, that would be horrible.

• Like 2

I see trade war looming; I can just hope countries think hard about revenge tariffs.  Tariffs always harm the country imposing them more than the country paying them -- this is counterintuitive, I know, but a country walled in with tariff protections, the businesses can be lazy and arrange prices and the population suffers a lower standard of living, less innovation and in the end becomes less able to compete.

24 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

52022736.jpg

• Like 3