Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scientists Want to Know What ;) Really Means

Claire.

Are emojis the new body language? Right now, all scientists can say is ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ — which is why psychologists are calling for more research into why people use these symbols to communicate, and what it says about them when they do.

More than 90 percent of people who use the internet rely on emojis, according to the paper, published today (Jan. 17) in the journal Trends in Cognitive Sciences. "We mostly use emojis like gestures, as a way of enhancing emotional expressions," Linda Kaye, a co-author of the new paper and a senior lecturer in psychology at Edge Hill University in England, said in a statement. But, she said, "there are a lot of idiosyncrasies in how we gesture, and emojis are similar to that, especially because of the discrepancies as to how and why we use them."

Read more: Live Science

• Like 1

It's a lot easier to say.

I love you.:-*

I love you.<_<

I love you

And the last being an unknown statement. With no notion of any implied meaning behind the statement. 

• Like 2

Well they need something to justify grant money and spend it on. 

As a side note, Kirby is the best way to express yourself online.  I can sum up every debate I've ever had on the internet with one simple line(with me being represented as Kirby):

Your opinion@------('.'Q)

Edited by Wickian
  • Like 2

I feel like our future is in big trouble text messaging has taken the place of hearing a voice at the other 

end of the phone . I think emoji's are childish . The only thing I can say  emoji's do  show emotion text messaging doesn't.

I have went to school the majority of my life , I never would think after all the trouble I got into with my teachers about the

way we talked or expressed ones self that I would see the day emotionless text messaging and  emoji's  would replace 

the way people express themselves . I don't like either , I will never use them or allow my children to use them as well . 

• Like 2

In all seriousness emojis do help people communicate. 

Communication is much more than what we say and hear. It includes personal histories and body language.

As Xeno pointed out earlier an emoji can change the communication in a statement.

E.g..

I'm watching :rolleyes:

I'm watching ;)

I'm watching :ph34r:

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Claire. said:

More than 90 percent of people who use the internet rely on emojis,

:td:

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Claire. said:

I'm afraid I've always found that one rather supercilious. I've always got the feeling from it that it means "I know more than you do".

2 hours ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

I'm afraid I've always found that one rather supercilious. I've always got the feeling from it that it means "I know more than you do".

:geek:

• Like 1

Text carries scant contextual and subtle communication,(no body language, no tone, no eye contact, no scents), so the vast majority of the nuances of communication is cut to a very light depth.... hence the ease of misunderstandings and hurt feelings.

Good WORD, love that ....

15 hours ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

supercilious, upiddy attitude, condescending a$$ like a king
showing arrogant superiority , showing disdain of those around as they are
obviously and truly unworthy of your time.
Extreme expression of contempt, oh you mean like exhale of a horse sound
every minute or so ?  Some must be born for it because even after eating a tool or two they still do it ! ahahahhahaha!

I for one, no surprise here, LOVE EMOJI/emoticons/Smily/Smileys whatever they've named them lately. popcorn.gif

Edited by MWoo7