Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Talking a Dog for a Walk

Claire.

What ‘walkies’ says about your relationship with your dog.

Dogs love “walkies”. And unless it’s pouring with rain and blowing a gale, so do their owners. But there’s much more to this daily routine than you might think. In fact, it’s actually a complex process of negotiation, which reveals a great deal about our relationship with man’s best friend.

In many ways, the walk reflects the historical social order of human domination and animal submission. But research suggests that it also allows humans and dogs to negotiate their power within the relationship. In fact, our recent study found that the daily dog walk involves complex negotiation at almost every stage.

Read more: The Conversation

• Like 2

Nice, I was thinking maybe country is different, hard to say I'm no expert, I know our dogs, if asked, which is seldom, will do everything we can imagine or ask of them, no problem but we seldom ask it of them; one I can think of paralleling the topic is to ask the dog to heal. They could if we ask and often do if we happen to be in town(major ticket fest) or park trails(bear or other dogs). However, I suppose it might be that we are not citified so it comes naturally to us to let them run around at their whim so to speak on runs and walks/hikes.  I imagine some owners have some annnnal power complex and its a battle or point to be made with the dog but unless the human has seen that or been taught that growing up or told by an expert trainer etc. I think the dog and the person really have no concept/idea of this power thing that was mentioned.

Edited by MWoo7
  • Like 1

I just let my dog run around the backyard and be a dog. But the article is right about large dog owners meeting others on the "path," like small children. And they're right about other dog walkers. When we used to walk, I knew the dog's name, but not theirs, even after years. And no one thought it strange.