Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Avalanche hits Hotel. Many dead

seeder

Oh Boy!   Wouldnt that be awful?  Or should I say...ISNT that awful?  Can you imagine being in bed...hearing a rumble....then total panic as tonnes of snow comes smashing in?

Help, we are dying of the cold': Desperate guests trapped in Italian ski hotel send texts to loved-ones after huge avalanche hits the building killing up to 30 people

The hotel in Farindola, central Italy, was buried under an avalanche yesterday
    Up to 30 people including guests and staff are missing with many feared dead
    Rescuers using cross country skis trekked through the night to reach the scene
    Dramatic pictures show how the building collapsed after it was shifted 30ft
    Four earthquakes shook the region with tremors felt 80 miles away yesterday

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4134306/Rescuers-fear-lives-20-people-avalanche.html#ixzz4WCywdpDS

• Like 1

Shouldn't have built a hotel on the side of a snowy mountain.

What is it with the Italians? They've even built a city of 1 million people - Naples - on the slopes of one of the world's most dangerous volcanoes.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Black Monk said:

Shouldn't have built a hotel on the side of a snowy mountain.

What is it with the Italians? They've even built a city of 1 million people - Naples - on the slopes of one of the world's most dangerous volcanoes.

True. But did you see it on the news yet?   That must be a horrible way to go

I saw a clip with diggers attempting to clear snow and rescuers going in to retrieve the bodies etc

• Like 1

If you look at the pictures there were a lot of trees on the mountain.  It was not like they built the hotel in an avalanche chute.  

What gets me is it taking so long for help to get mobilized.  The gentleman calling for help wasn't taken seriously and they took 4 hours to send out rescuers.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, glorybebe said:

What gets me is it taking so long for help to get mobilized.  The gentleman calling for help wasn't taken seriously and they took 4 hours to send out rescuers.

What a bloody awful way to go. Yes, that he called and called but got no response disturbed me, too.

• Like 3

Eight now.

Eight people have been found alive in Italy's Rigopiano hotel, two days after it was buried in an avalanche.

Rescuers said the survivors had been discovered buried under snow. Two are children, Italian media said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-38691103

• Like 2

The children being found made me relieved, but there is still a little boy who was staying there that was not mentioned.   Don't get me wrong, any survivors they find is amazing.  I just really want all the children found alive.  I hate thinking they had their lives cut short in such a horrible way.

• Like 2

Reports say up to 30 people were there....so far only 8 found.... not looking good for the others

• Like 2

Just now, seeder said:

Reports say up to 30 people were there....so far only 8 found.... not looking good for the others

I know. Hope is still there until they find all the bodies - if they ever do

• Like 2

The latest report says -

At least four people have been confirmed dead, and about 20 are still missing, as the rescue effort continues in difficult conditions.

The search is still ongoing so let's hope they find many more alive.

Edited by Still Waters
  • Like 2

They say they have found all of the children alive.  Poor munchkins.  I hope they keep finding more survivors.

• Like 4

So glad for the children. Now let's hope they find more of the adults, especially the parents.

• Like 3

The number of people found alive has gone up to 9 with 15 still missing.

Four more people were rescued overnight from a hotel in Italy destroyed by an avalanche three days ago.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-38703592

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Still Waters said:

The number of people found alive has gone up to 9 with 15 still missing.

Yes I saw an update on TV too!   But time is passing and any more survivors must be freezing....still....lets HOPE more lives will be saved

• Like 2

It happens quite a lot.........one serious one was here in Australia..........they are trying to be able to predict these things asap.......but they happen so quickly....

In today's news -

Rescuers recovered three puppies from under the rubble of Italy's avalanche hotel Monday sparking fresh hopes some of the 23 people still missing after five days could be found alive.

Fireman Fabio Jerman said the discovery of the three shaggy white Abruzzo sheepdog pups meant there were still air pockets in the collapsed luxury spa resort, "an important sign of life, which gives us hope".

A new route was being dug into the wreck in a last-ditch effort to find survivors, as questions mounted as to whether the disaster could have been avoided.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/puppies-found-alive-italy-avalanche-hotel-boost-hope-142936762.html

• Like 2

I have been trying to find news on it, but it seemed like it wasn't sensational anymore after a couple of days.

• Like 1

On 23/01/2017 at 3:41 PM, glorybebe said:

I have been trying to find news on it, but it seemed like it wasn't sensational anymore after a couple of days.

here you go, seems like its all over now

Italy avalanche death toll rises to 29 as final bodies pulled from wreckage

The last two bodies have been pulled from the wreckage of a hotel hit by an avalanche in central Italy last week, bringing the final number of dead to 29.

Everyone known to have been staying at the Hotel Rigopiano has now been accounted for following the discovery of the bodies of a man and a woman on Wednesday night.

Eleven people survived the disaster.

Most of those who died were found in what had been the hotel bar, Italian media has reported.

Following autopsies on the first six bodies, it has been confirmed that most victims died from physical trauma caused by the hotel's collapse, but there were also signs of hypothermia and asphyxiation.

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/italy-avalanche-death-toll-rises-29-final-bodies-104900075.html

• Like 1

1 hour ago, seeder said:

here you go, seems like its all over now

I saw that this morning.  I was really hopeful they would find more people alive.  It was against the odds, but I really hoped a few more would make it.

• Like 1