Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bizarre ice spikes across the UK baffle Brits

seeder

Bizarre ice spikes across the UK baffle Brits as the country prepares to plunge into a big freeze this weekend

The ice spikes form as a results of the way water freezes from the outside in
    As the 'skin' of the ice thickens, liquid water remains in the middle
    If a hole appears in the ice skin, liquid water gets squeezed up through the hole
    This then forms the spike and the process continues until the spike freezes

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4139786/Bizarre-ice-spikes-spotted-UK.html#ixzz4WItDIKrF

• Like 2

This comment on the daily mail made me smile..

They don't baffle Brits - they baffle three people on Twitter and your fourteen year old 'reporter' 

• Like 7

Reminds me of being in London and all the people in the Square with their super glued spiked hair and it being illegal......cause they went around stabbing people......

46 minutes ago, cluey said:

Reminds me of being in London and all the people in the Square with their super glued spiked hair and it being illegal......cause they went around stabbing people......

As someone who spent years living in London, and as someone who grew up in the Punk era.... I can honestly say that what you have said....is totally untrue....and it certainly wasn't illegal either

Furthermore, a lot of punks who had spikey hair, achieved that by using handsoap or hairgel.....not superglue

• Like 1

I'd be baffled seeing that for the first time. I may have to buy a bird bath now. 

• Like 1

ok seeder..........that was 35 years ago........so it is true......B)

1 minute ago, cluey said:

ok seeder..........that was 35 years ago........so it is true......B)

and I was THERE 35 years ago....so Ive got FIRST HAND experience. Two big fashions of that time were skinheads.....which I was....and punks....who we sometimes had running battles with. I never heard or saw of anyone with spikey hair stabbing someone with it  :lol:

And spikey hair has never been illegal, no matter what its been set with

• Like 3

duhhh........you have no idea what your saying.......

5 hours ago, cluey said:

There is a London in NK as well? Didnt know that ...

They are certainly odd, but I wouldn't go so far as to say they are "baffling". So they are pretty much caused by micro-waterspouts freezing in the breeze?