Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Skittles for cows end up on icy road

Still Waters

A rural county in southeast Wisconsin had a sweet, sticky mystery along a highway earlier this week. Hundreds of thousands of red Skittles were found spilled on a road in Dodge County.

"There's no little 'S' on them, but you can definitely smell, it's a distinct Skittles smell," Dodge County Sheriff Dale Schmidt told CNN affiliate WISN.

No one knew where the candy came from or where it was going, but county road crews said the Skittles spill was actually helpful, as the roads in the area have been icy the past couple of days and the thousands of little candies improved traction.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/01/19/health/spilled-skittles-road-trnd/index.html?sr=twCNN011917spilled-skittles-road-trnd0725PMVODtopLink&linkId=33570451

• Like 1

1 hour ago, glorybebe said:

:huh: huh.  We raised cows for years. Never thought of giving them candy...

"candy makers and bakeries often sell rejects to be used as cattle feed because they provide "cheap carbs."
The practice goes back decades, but it picked up steam in 2012 when corn prices were surging and cattle farmers were looking for a cheaper way to keep their cows and other livestock fed."

You never had "reject candy" doing the rounds.  (I've never heard of such a thing as "reject candy").

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 2

DELETED

Edited by Chaldon

On 1/20/2017 at 9:10 AM, glorybebe said:

:huh: huh.  We raised cows for years. Never thought of giving them candy...

I bet you beef is yummy, too.  I'm trying to buy my meat and veggies from small farms, but my cash is limited..  Beef from the factory farms doesn't have any taste in it.  Grass fed beef is like a trip back in time to my youth, when food tasted like it should taste.   Meat tastes like what it is feed, you feed it crap it will taste like crap.  One thing I learned from helping a neighbor with his cows as a kid, happy, healthy cows make for great meat.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Grandpa Greenman said:

I bet you beef is yummy, too.  I'm trying to buy my meat and veggies from small farms, but my cash is limited..  Beef from the factory farms doesn't have any taste in it.  Grass fed beef is like a trip back in time to my youth, when food tasted like it should taste.   Meat tastes like what it is feed, you feed it crap it will taste like crap.  One thing I learned from helping a neighbor with his cows as a kid, happy, healthy cows make for great meat.  

We did not use antibiotics or any hormones on the cows.  You are right, the beef tastes different.  Our cows had 30 acres to wander, they were not cooped up.  Same as the chickens.  They were free to run around and eat bugs.  The eggs tasted way different than store bought.

One thing you might try is to see if any of your friends could go in on half or quarter of beef with you.  Then you come up with healthy meat for less.  A lot if time it is way cheaper than in the store if you can do it that way.

• Like 2

Nobody tell Marshawn Lynch, that dude loves him some Skittles.

The thread title sounds like a MadLibs answer. Maybe the candies fell of s shipping truck?

"I think it's a viable (diet)," John Waller, an animal science professor at the University of Tennessee, told Live Science. "It keeps fat material from going out in the landfill, and it's a good way to get nutrients in these cattle. The alternative would be to put (the candy) in a landfill somewhere."

Maybe it is just me, but the idea that skittles are a good way to get nutrients to cattle seems a bit strange.

5 hours ago, Four Winds said:

"I think it's a viable (diet)," John Waller, an animal science professor at the University of Tennessee, told Live Science. "It keeps fat material from going out in the landfill, and it's a good way to get nutrients in these cattle. The alternative would be to put (the candy) in a landfill somewhere."

Maybe it is just me, but the idea that skittles are a good way to get nutrients to cattle seems a bit strange.

Want to bet this guy works for the factory farm industry, where they keep cows in feedlot pens without grass and stand in their own excrement all day. Candy is just calories without a lot of nutrients, unless you got a few nuts in it.  My guess, the goal of a factory farm is to get them fat before they get sick from the diet and living conditions.  In that case candy would be better for them than corn. 

Edited by Grandpa Greenman