Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Man evicted from hospital for blocking bed

Still Waters

A hospital applied for a court order to remove a patient who had occupied a bed "unnecessarily" for more than two years.

The man, who has not been named by the hospital, had refused to leave the James Paget University Hospital in Norfolk.

The hospital said he had been "fit for discharge" and had been offered appropriate accommodation.

It said the decision to go to court was a last resort and "not taken lightly".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-38680031

• Like 4

As a past employee of for nearly 30 years, a current user of the NHS, I despair of and am embarrassed to read this about it.

• Like 2

I can't see how 'squating' in a hospital bed would work? Surely if he got up to go to the toilet they could 'claim' the bed back? Or even refuse to give him any meals forcing him to leave the ward when hungry, again, claiming the bed back? 

I guess there had to be an official way to do it without anyone losing their jobs. Shame.

• Like 5

They should have moved the bed out of the ward.....into a breezy hallway....and refused to feed him. I bet he would have soon left then

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, Stiff said:

I can't see how 'squating' in a hospital bed would work? Surely if he got up to go to the toilet they could 'claim' the bed back? Or even refuse to give him any meals forcing him to leave the ward when hungry, again, claiming the bed back? 

I guess there had to be an official way to do it without anyone losing their jobs. Shame.

My understanding is, the hospital couldn't discharge him because he didn't have a fixed address to go to. They couldn't just kick him out on the streets, he has to have an address of some sorts first even if it was in the care of his relatives.

"The gentleman repeatedly refused all offers of appropriate accommodation organised by our local authority and social care partners,

• Like 4

But there ARE ALSO...plenty of homeless alcoholics/drug users admitted to hospital..... yet you never hear stories of them taking up beds... or refusing to leave hospital...

• Like 5

I dont think he was homless, just felt comefortable to use the hospital reasources without paying

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, seeder said:

But there ARE ALSO...plenty of homeless alcoholics/drug users admitted to hospital..... yet you never hear stories of them taking up beds... or refusing to leave hospital...

He seems to be homeless rather than sick so why not, "Here's your bus fare and the address of the Homless Unit, on your way or the boys in blue will walk you there."?

There's got to be more to this.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, seeder said:

Alcoholics/drug users aren't necessarily homeless. Maybe other homeless people cooperate in some way with social services? I don't know how the system works.

I seem to recall a similar article in my local rag a while back now where a guy had feigned illness or injury to gain access to a hospital bed and abuse the system until he was physically removed and he would then travel across the country and repeat the process at another hospital. I can't find the article now as it was a while ago but I'm wondering if it is indeed one and the same guy or whether there may be a select few that are adept at manipulating the system in this way.

• Like 3

It's really difficult to comment on this without details of the person's condition and situation and whether any long-term care is required. We also don't know what the hospital means by 'appropriate accommodation' elsewhere. Is this accommodation a hospice? A rehabilitation center? If the patient is indeed homeless and that is the reason behind his refusal to leave, I can understand why the hospital might be in a pickle. I'm not familiar with UK law, but my understanding is that here in the US, hospitals across most states are prohibited from discharging patients requiring long-term care to homeless shelters or to the streets. My guess is that the hospital in this case, has come up with something better than that, but until we get the facts, I would be hard put to be critical of anyone involved.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

They shoulda tazed him and given him something to stay in bed for.

Surely there were some stairs handy to his location that he might have "slipped down"?  JK.....  no REALLY, J K   :w00t:

It seems our cousins across the pond are quite as bureaucratically insane as we.  Nice ...

• Like 4

I can't find anything new on Google about this case, apart from the obvious -

Dr Tom Nutt, chief executive of Healthwatch Essex, said: “The case at James Paget is obviously an exceptional one,

http://www.eadt.co.uk/news/man_who_stayed_for_two_years_at_james_paget_university_hospital_removed_after_court_order_1_4856818

Due to patient confidentiality, we're not likely to find out anything more.

• Like 3

You need to use your imagination with people like this.

They should have slipped him a mickey, and then moved him to a table in the morgue with a sheet over him. Then hired James Earl Jones to play the part of the Grim Reaper when he woke up.

If nothing else, seeing how fast he could flee would be a test of his fitness :yes:

• Like 4

2 hours ago, seeder said:

That's because an awful lot of them self discharge as soon as possible. 

• Like 3

hope I don't get ill on this forum ...... wouldn't get any sympathy !!  Maybe the poor guy had mental problems

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Eldorado said:

They shoulda tazed him and given him something to stay in bed for.

Diarrhoea would have been the answer.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, dannyboy52 said:

Maybe the poor guy had mental problems

There's a fair few on this forum with the same problem and they seem to get on just fine :P

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Stiff said:

There's a fair few on this forum with the same problem and they seem to get on just fine :P

Sometimes  I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring, so I go back to being me (sorry about going off topic)

• Like 3

I suppose this is just a variation of someone desperate who commits just enough of a crime to get locked up, even if only overnight, for the chance of a hot meal and a bed.

Now this is surprise turn of events!

A patient who was evicted from a hospital after spending more than two years in a bed said he did not want to stay and "tried to get out of there".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-38731937

• Like 3

On 1/20/2017 at 11:00 PM, dannyboy52 said:

Maybe the poor guy had mental problems

He had/has.

Mr Guedes said he was initially admitted to hospital on mental health grounds, rather than because of a physical problem.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-38731937

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Still Waters said:

Now this is surprise turn of events!

Plot twist for sure! I agree with the analysis provided in the latest article There are indeed always two sides to the story, but from my perspective, the health and well-being of patients always come first and if a hospital is to err, it should always err on the side of caution. Budgets, costs and the like, should never be an issue or an excuse.

• Like 3