Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Russia is behind Calexit movement

Clarakore

On a sunny late September day, a trio of tourists gathered on Moscow’s Red Square. Well-dressed, carrying a Russian flag, the visitors bunched in front of the Kremlin’s walls to snap a selfie. Like so many others before, the man taking the photo, Louis Marinelli, took to his Twitter account, and shared the shot for the world.

But Marinelli wasn’t your average American tourist, and neither were his friends. That weekend, Marinelli was ensconced in a conference room in the capital, where he delivered a speech for an unusual cause: the secession of California from the United States. “As not only a representative of the nation of California, but also as the founder and the leader of the independence movement as recognized by the state of California itself, it is my honor to speak on behalf of my people at this conference on the right of self-determination,” Marinelli told his audience. “Our campaign exists to explain why we should free ourselves from the shackles of statehood, and instead embrace the freedoms of nationhood.”

Marinelli, 30, was an unlikely messenger for the “Calexit” cause. He doesn’t live in California. He lives in Yekaterinburg—about 1,000 miles from Moscow—with his Russian wife. But it was not surprising that he had found a platform for his YesCalifornia movement in Moscow. Secession is a popular topic here—as long as it’s from someone else’s country.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/01/why-russia-loves-the-idea-of-california-seceding-214632

Edited by Avatar Samantha Ai

Divide and conquer is an old game, no matter who's playing it.

• Like 1

Oh, probably. There was a Three Car Crash round our way yesterday as well, You know who was behind that don';t you. That's right.

• Like 3

Just now, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

Oh, probably. There was a Three Car Crash round our way yesterday as well, You know who was behind that don';t you. That's right.

I'm tellin ya...that's the three people who have been living under a rock, and just realize The Apprentice star is getting sworn in.

6 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

Divide and conquer is an old game, no matter who's playing it.

Trouble is though it wouldn't divide an conquer the Republican party, if it divided anyone it'd divide the Democractic vote, since California (the big cities at any rate) is very solidly Democratic, so would,if this fiendish plan was true, it would just ensure that they'd never have enough influence to be able to rule the remainder of the United States and the Repubs would have a hold on power for ever. These Russkies never think things through do they. 

Edited by Manfred von Dreidecker

2 minutes ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

Trouble is though it wouldn't divide an conquer the Republican party, if it divided anyone it'd divide the Democractic vote, since California (the big cities at any rate) is very solidly Democratic, so would,if this fiendish plan was true, it would just ensure that they'd never have enough influence to be able to rule the remainder of the United States and the Repubs would have a hold on power for ever. These Russkies never think things through do they. 

You're thinking too small. It's dividing America. Even that's too small.

It's dividing the world.

Edited by ChaosRose
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

You're thinking too small. It's dividing America. Even that's too small.

It's dividing the world.

Divide the World! *fiendish cackle" Come on, you've been watching far too much Game of Thrones

Image result for ernst stavro putin

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

Divide the World! *fiendish cackle" Come on, you've been watching far too much Game of Thrones

Image result for ernst stavro putin

Post the one with the puppy because dogs are the best people. That one's my favorite.

I warn you...there are even pictures of me holding puppies and kittens.

It doesn't mean you would like me. 

Ok...maybe you would like me...but still.

Edited by ChaosRose
  • Like 3

I'm at a considerable disadvantage in an argument right now because I've had wine. And I don't usually have wine.

But it's the end of the world, so **** it.

Edited by ChaosRose
  • Like 3

“Texas nationalists” largely reflect a far-right or neo-Confederate worldview. California secessionists are almost uniformly leftists disgusted by conservative hegemony in the heartland. They don’t have much in common when it comes to their views of governance, but they do have a powerful shared ally — the Russian Federation.

Salon’s investigation suggests that for nearly a decade, Vladimir Putin’s government has promoted and funded the efforts of such separatists as part of a larger campaign to promote dissenters from the broader Western world order.

The net effect of these efforts, when you include the successful Brexit campaign for British withdrawal from the European Union — which Russia also supported — has been to elevate the idea of American states going their own way from a laughable fringe movement into something discussed as an actual possibility by politicians and elite journalists alike.

It seems Russia has their hands in different pockets.

Russia’s support for separatists in California, Texas, Hawaii and Puerto Rico is a fairly recent development during Putin’s lengthy rule over the Federation. But they fit within a larger context of Russian efforts to bolster an anti-liberal consensus (most American conservatives, in this context, are perceived in Russia as another species of “liberal”).

Quite often, the good feelings are reciprocal. Many figures on the Christian right in America have praised the Putin government for its anti-LGBT policies, particularly its law prohibiting non-negative literature about homosexuality from being given to minors. Pastor Franklin Graham, son of the legendary evangelist Billy Graham, has repeatedly praised Putin and has even met him in person. Fundamentalist radio host Bryan Fischer has called the Russian leader a “lion of Christianity. 

The racial aspect of this theory also explains why Putin is widely admired by the alt-right, a political movement mostly centered in the United States that has sought to put a new, tech-savvy face on traditional racist viewpoints.

Alt-right activist Matthew Heimbach spoke for many of his compatriots when he told the Business Insider recently, “I really believe that Russia is the leader of the free world right now.”

Richard Spencer, the man who co-created the term and is widely seen as the leader of the movement by mainstream journalists, is married to the English translator of Aleksandr Dugin, the man who is perhaps Putin’s favorite political philosopher. White nationalist icon David Duke once rented an apartment in Russia which he then sublet to another alt-right figure, Preston Wiginton, an associate of Dugin’s. Wiginton is also the man who brought Spencer to address the campus of Texas A&M University recently.

http://www.salon.com/2016/12/29/russia-calexit-texit-dissent/

Dear lord, people who are so eager to see Fake News whenever it's anything critical of the Decorative* party or remotely neutral towards the World#s #2 Greatest Monster**, are never remotely critical of whatever nonsense their own favoured news sources*** come out with, are they. So now both the Left and the Right are stooges of Comrade Putin, then? And of course don't forget to throw hints or suggestions of racism in as well, that's always popular. :no: 

* That should be Democratic, but that's what Spell checker suggested. I rather like it 

** Trump, that is, of course, Comrade Putin is #1 

*** i.e. just about all of the Media

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

You are right that it would take away all of California's electoral votes and make it harder for the Democrats to ever win for a long time.

I don't think Russia really favors one party over another but rather in our destabilization. 

As far as those from the left in California who support this. They are not thinking it through or are willing to throw the rest of the American left under the bus.

Cw7oprh_Xg_AAOj_Dn.jpg

• Like 1

Proponents of secession will need 585, 407 valid signatures for their referendum to qualify for the 2018 ballot.  

http://www.breitbart.com/california/2016/11/22/calexit-leftists-file-papers-2018-referendum/

14 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

I'm at a considerable disadvantage in an argument right now because I've had wine. And I don't usually have wine.

why don't you borrow Samantha's crayons (#16) and draw a nice picture that could help as well - ?

• Like 4

Kinda funny, Russkies support any separatist movement around the world, but in Russia its criminal offense.

I wonder, what would happen if Trump would say "Siberian nations have their rights for self determination. Free Siberia. Free Yakutia. Free Chukchaland. Peace." I think that would send Kremlin into catatonic state for few days, and afterwards - over 43 million courics...

• Like 5

3 hours ago, ChaosRose said:

It's the end of the world, as we know it... It's the end of the world as we know it... And I feel fine....  - R.E.M.

For many of us... This is just the beginning. BWAH, HA, HA, ha.....

Edited by DieChecker

If California wants to leave, don't let the door hit them in the ass on the way out.  I'll give them four three two weeks until they become just another destitute 3rd world country that's desperately trying to get more US aid to it's citizens.  They can't run a state without screwing things up, and now they want to run a country?

This is laughable.  I'm laughing.  Here's what it might look like.

meninblack3-02.jpg

Well, nevermind.  I'm sure you all know what laughter looks like.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Merc14 said:

How does #yescalifornia plan to cover the $442B in debt California is currently carrying?  

If their a sovereign nation they can have as much debt as they want. All good uber liberals know that debt is meaningless, or is in fact GOOD.

I thought States weren't to have debt, but had to balance their budgets and spending?

10 hours ago, Merc14 said:

How does #yescalifornia plan to cover the $442B in debt California is currently carrying?  

That never worried the Obama regime, so, since presumably a People's Republic of California would follow the same principles as their hero, they too would just carry on adding to it and pretending it wasn't there.

On January 21, 2017 at 2:21 AM, Avatar Samantha Ai said:

On January 21, 2017 at 2:21 AM, Avatar Samantha Ai said:

God bless my comrade, Putin. Thanks for doing what our news outlets couldn't and wouldn't do, Vlad. I hope that the frozen White Castle sliders I sent are fit to eat. I definitely enjoyed the vodka you sent me, and Valentina proves that you're right about that too.

• Like 2

#CalExit just received a big boost from an unlikely source: Peter Thiel, billionaire tech buddy of President-elect Trump. 

In a “Confirm or Deny” interview with the New York Times’ Maureen Dowd, the 49 year-old Thiel confirmed that he believed California should secede.

Admittedly, it’s a popular sentiment on comment sections of newspapers and Facebook to talk of California “falling into the ocean and the rest of the country will be better off”.

But would the U.S. really be better off?

http://www.breitbart.com/california/2017/01/12/peter-thiel-trump-calexit-california-succession/

On 1/21/2017 at 11:11 PM, Thorvir said:

If California wants to leave, don't let the door hit them in the ass on the way out.  I'll give them four three two weeks until they become just another destitute 3rd world country that's desperately trying to get more US aid to it's citizens.  They can't run a state without screwing things up, and now they want to run a country?

This is laughable.  I'm laughing.  Here's what it might look like.

meninblack3-02.jpg

Well, nevermind.  I'm sure you all know what laughter looks like.

What is going on in the background of that picture?

I guess the golden Wall will be making a detour up the inside of California. Let us know how it looks from your side :)