Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Have you ever seen a ghost?

Bellachoo

I have never seen a ghost and I would love to. But has anyone had any experiences were they've actually saw a ghost? 

• Like 4

They tend to manifest when in an altered state of consciousness. Half awake/ half asleep, half asleep/half awake or very focused. They are the product of the mind and imagination. 

http://www.goodtherapy.org/blog/psychological-explanations-for-seemingly-paranormal-phenomena-0704137

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/out-the-ooze/201507/why-some-people-see-ghosts-and-other-presences

http://science.howstuffworks.com/science-vs-myth/afterlife/ghost.htm

The last one's a bit of a read. So grab some popcorn and enjoy.

• Like 7

Yes, in glorious technicolour and while I was wide awake (although I completely agree with the above post). At least I saw what would be universally attributed to a 'ghost' encounter. 

Do I believe it was a spirit? Absolutely not. Nor do I think it was a time slip, a recording, or anything external to my mind. I think it was something I generated, although it was pretty strange and I can't explain it.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, oldrover said:

Yes, in glorious technicolour and while I was wide awake (although I completely agree with the above post). At least I saw what would be universally attributed to a 'ghost' encounter. 

Do I believe it was a spirit? Absolutely not. Nor do I think it was a time slip, a recording, or anything external to my mind. I think it was something I generated, although it was pretty strange and I can't explain it.

I'm pretty sure most people have seen what we call ghost. I have a few times and last year when I been awake for nearly 48 hours I saw a lot of weird stuff all due to my tired mind and body. I think people often underestimate our brains, they go with "it's a ghost" rather than, "what was I thinking". lol

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I'm pretty sure most people have seen what we call ghost

I agree, it's a fairly universal experience. And, it raises the question, if we dump the paranormal/bizarre physics  explanation, then we're left with something weird but which will have a plausible explanation within what we already know, so we could call that experience a ghost. So, in that sense can we say that 'ghosts' are real, but the explanations we often put up for them are where the fantasy lies

I have a few times and last year when I been awake for nearly 48 hours I saw a lot of weird stuff all due to my tired mind and body.

Again, this is where the real hauntings happen. As I said on another thread recently, after too many nights I had a waking dream where I saw a live patient trying to get into bed with me (and it was as real as anything else I've ever seen, or at least, that's how I perceived it at the time), my mate on the other hand had one where a recently deceased patient appeared to him. 

Now, it'd be so easy to forget mine because it doesn't fit with the traditional ghost narrative, and to seize on his and attribute it as being a 'ghosty' ghost, because it does. But, both came from the same source, our mind's ability to conjure up a completely convincing illusion. Fortunately my mate, although it scared him at the time, is rational enough to put it down to what it was. Another might not, and you'd be left with a very convincing witness to an apparent paranormal event

I think people often underestimate our brains, they go with "it's a ghost" rather than, "what was I thinking". lol

There was a scientist, I forget which field, who was also a keen fencer. In his lab, there'd been a lot of things half seen. Shadowy figures etc in the peripheral vision (alarm bell), anyway, one evening this guy had brought in one of his swords, a foil or an epee so with a thin light blade, for something. He'd left it in a vice and turned to see it vibrating wildly. 

At first, based on the half seen things, and the sword's apparent spontaneous movement he started to get scared. Then he got a grip and thought like a scientist. Eventually he traced the cause of both the sightings and the blade's movement to ultrasound produced by a machine in an adjacent lab. Again, another may have just run, and you'd get a really good apparent case of the paranormal for the websites to repeat over and over.

• Like 3

I saw one, middle of the day, bright and sunny, had been up for hours, slept well the night before so it wasn't my mind playing tricks on me.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Claire. said:

I've not seen, heard or sensed a ghost. I've even studied at, or visited, supposedly haunted locations, but zip, zilch, nada.

Stay awake for a couple of days, or start working at night and you'll see plenty. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ashotep said:

I saw one, middle of the day, bright and sunny, had been up for hours, slept well the night before so it wasn't my mind playing tricks on me.

Same as mine then, doesn't mean it's something external to either of us. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, oldrover said:

Same as mine then, doesn't mean it's something external to either of us. 

Doesn't mean it isn't either.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Ashotep said:

Doesn't mean it isn't either.

True, but that's the explanation which all the evidence points to. 

10 minutes ago, Ashotep said:

Could you describe what you saw? I understand if you don't want to, but I'm curious as to what it was about the image that convinced you it was a spirit.

1 minute ago, oldrover said:

True, but that's the explanation which all the evidence points to. 

Usually if its your mind playing tricks on you it only moves when you move your eyes.  This didn't behave that way. 

I moved this topic to the ghost forum since the OP wasn't offering a personal story or experience.

Rashore, moderating team

2 minutes ago, Ashotep said:

Usually if its your mind playing tricks on you it only moves when you move your eyes.  This didn't behave that way. 

No it doesn't, I can promise you that from my own personal experience as well as my professional experience dealing with people suffering from hallucinations. They move quite independently. 

• Like 2

I've had lots of experiences, but I don't think they were ghosts or demons or some other external entities. I just think people under a great deal of stress or trauma can somehow manifest phenomena. It all emanates from the psyche...even the sleep paralysis and hypnagogia experiences. I know that because I manipulated my own psyche to get rid of all the phenomena.

• Like 2

Just now, Claire. said:

Could you describe what you saw? I understand if you don't want to, but I'm curious as to what it was about the image that convinced you it was a spirit.

Sure doesn't bother me at all to talk about it.

I was in the kitchen moving about, you can see my living room clearly from the kitchen, when out of the corner of my eye I saw my dead cat walk through a closed window on to the end table then she jumped down on the couch then to the floor.  Where she stopped long enough to sniff at some tools laying there.  Then she ran down the hall and I never saw her again.  During this I looked directly at her and couldn't see her then back and I could see her again, I could only see her out of the corner of my eye.  I did this to see if she was still there or if I was seeing things and she was there.  Also she wasn't repeating what I just saw but going on with what she was doing.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, oldrover said:

No it doesn't, I can promise you that from my own personal experience as well as my professional experience dealing with people suffering from hallucinations. They move quite independently. 

Maybe so but I saw a ghost.  This isn't something that happens to me all the time so I have no mental problems.

• Like 1

When i was about 5 years old me and my mother crossed the road from our house my mother turned around and saw a woman in her bedroom window, she told a neighbour what the woman looked like and she told my mother thats the woman who died there.

well my mother would not go back in that house so we all ended up living with my grandparents.i know she would not have moved us unless she realy did see this ghost.

also even though i was only 5 i can still remember the feelings i had in that house,it was not nice.

• Like 1

Nope, never saw one.  I've seen things that were easily or eventually explained.  Would be great to experience something that I can't explain away for once, but time's running out.

• Like 1

Have I ever seen anything that I could straight up say that was a ghost and I saw it with my own two eyes? Nope. I've seen some things that I'm still not sure what they were, so I don't know if I've ever seen a ghost or not.

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, Ashotep said:

Maybe so but I saw a ghost.  This isn't something that happens to me all the time so I have no mental problems.

You don't need mental problems to mispercieve things. There are kinks and flaws in out system of perception that can and do mean that we make mistakes, even very elaborate ones. This is true, and goes a very long way in explaining ghostly experiences of very sane, honest and trustworthy people. 

It isn't a criticism, just an observation about the human condition. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ashotep said:

I certainly believe that you saw something.  What it was is completely up for debate, if you're ever willing to debate it and accept sensible explanations what it might or might not be.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ashotep said:

Sure doesn't bother me at all to talk about it.

I was in the kitchen moving about, you can see my living room clearly from the kitchen, when out of the corner of my eye I saw my dead cat walk through a closed window on to the end table then she jumped down on the couch then to the floor.  Where she stopped long enough to sniff at some tools laying there.  Then she ran down the hall and I never saw her again.  During this I looked directly at her and couldn't see her then back and I could see her again, I could only see her out of the corner of my eye.  I did this to see if she was still there or if I was seeing things and she was there.  Also she wasn't repeating what I just saw but going on with what she was doing.

Thanks for sharing your story Ashotep. That must have been a very bittersweet experience for you.