Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Listen with your eyes

Still Waters

One in five people is affected by a synaesthesia-like phenomenon in which visual movements or flashes of light are “heard” as faint sounds, according to scientists.

The findings suggest that far more people than initially thought experience some form of sensory cross-wiring – which could explain the appeal of flashing musical baby toys and strobed lighting at raves.

Elliot Freeman, a cognitive neuroscientist at City University and the study’s lead author, said: “A lot of us go around having senses that we do not even recognise.”

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/jan/17/listen-with-your-eyes-one-in-five-of-us-may-hear-flashes-of-light-synaesthesia

• Like 3

The most senses-- smell, taste, appearance, texture and sound (crispy, crunchy... &c.) -- come into play with foods. 

Noticing that your article ended with mention of how musicians learn to link sounds and visual cues, I was reminded

of a warning I recently saw on a music a-v in regard to seizure-provoking flashes and images.  Those along with

game videos that include intermittent use of saturated red images are particularly problematic for some individuals.  

Perhaps due to how I process visual stimulation, I can only briefly enjoy flashy videos or 3-D movies without getting

a headache.

Edited by aka CAT

I wonder if this may be connected to deafness? I am mostly deaf and if I see a strobe light I "hear" a clicking sound.

On 22/1/2017 at 0:27 PM, Four Winds said:

I have had the opposite, where a loud bang produced a flash of white light when my eyes were closed.

I don't recall the cause now, but I think that's quite normal? 

Well, that's very interesting. 

And it also explains why sometimes it's so difficult to describe a feeling or a perception to somebody else; you think the other person knows what you are talking about, while in reality they have no idea and have never experienced it.