Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What causes this?

Four Winds

This is something that has puzzled me for a long time.  When I look at a white surface I sometimes see lines of pink and white.  I have googled it but can't find a reason for it.  I know there is a natural explanation, I just have not  found it yet. It is the same with fluorescent light or natural light, tilting my head does not change the orientation of the lines. This is what it looks like. 

wall.png

I'm guessing it has something to do with the rods and cones in the eye and how the information is processed.

Edited by Four Winds
  • Like 1

Have you asked at your local opticians?

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Four Winds said:

I'm guessing it has something to do with the rods and cones in the eye and how the information is processed.

Might be due to light reflecting off the surface. Eye fatigue. I'll do some searching to see what it could be. 

• Like 2

The only things that I could find that could possibly explain what's happening to you is snow blindness. Since staring at a white surface would have a similar effect. However if this is a persistent things go see your doctor about it. You may have an eye problem. Best to check.

• Like 2

Try one of these tests, they are quite interesting:

https://www.colormatters.com/color-and-vision/color-and-vision-matters

4 hours ago, Four Winds said:

When I look at a white surface I sometimes see lines of pink and white.

What is the white surface you are looking at and what is around it? and how long are you looking at this white surface for?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nnicolette said:

When i close my eyes i see amaing patterns does anyone else ever see this?

I used to get black and white kaleidoscope designs.

5 hours ago, Four Winds said:

This is something that has puzzled me for a long time.  When I look at a white surface I sometimes see lines of pink and white.  I have googled it but can't find a reason for it.  I know there is a natural explanation, I just have not  found it yet. It is the same with fluorescent light or natural light, tilting my head does not change the orientation of the lines. This is what it looks like. 

Could it be the McCollough effect?

If not that, then the only other possibility I can think of is that it's an afterimage.

Best thing for you to do, however, is to see an ophthalmologist. It's important to see an ophthalmologist for regular check ups anyway.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, sees said:

Have you asked at your local opticians?

No, I have not visited one for a long time.  I should though.

4 hours ago, freetoroam said:

Try one of these tests, they are quite interesting:

https://www.colormatters.com/color-and-vision/color-and-vision-matters

What is the white surface you are looking at and what is around it? and how long are you looking at this white surface for?

This has been something I have noticed over several decades.  It does not have to be any particular white surface and it does not require staring at it for any length of time. 

3 hours ago, Claire. said:

Could it be the McCollough effect?

If not that, then the only other possibility I can think of is that it's an afterimage.

Best thing for you to do, however, is to see an ophthalmologist. It's important to see an ophthalmologist for regular check ups anyway.

It is very similar to an afterimage, however I see these lines often even just after I wake up.  Interesting link about the McCollough effect, I bet it has something to do with that. " Jones and Holding (1975) found that 15 minutes of induction can lead to an effect lasting 3.5 months."  That is pretty amazing.  I think you may have found the answer, thanks!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Four Winds said:

It is very similar to an afterimage, however I see these lines often even just after I wake up.  Interesting link about the McCollough effect, I bet it has something to do with that. " Jones and Holding (1975) found that 15 minutes of induction can lead to an effect lasting 3.5 months."  That is pretty amazing.  I think you may have found the answer, thanks!

Glad the information was of some help. But please see an ophthalmologist just to make sure nothing else is going on.

• Like 1

Just now, Claire. said:

Glad the information was of some help. But please see an ophthalmologist just to make sure nothing else is going on.

I appreciate the concern, but I don't see any reason for alarm. This is not a new thing, like I said, it is something I have noticed for several decades. But thank you again for pointing out the McCollough effect, there is a lot of great information there.

• Like 2