Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Don’t Judge an Asteroid by its Cover

Waspie_Dwarf

Don’t Judge an Asteroid by its Cover: Mid-infrared Data from SOFIA Shows Ceres’ True Composition

New observations show that Ceres, the largest body in the asteroid belt, does not appear to have the carbon-rich surface composition that space- and ground-based telescopes previously indicated.

Using data primarily from NASA’s Stratospheric Observatory for Infrared Astronomy, SOFIA, a team of astronomers has detected the presence of substantial amounts of material on the surface of Ceres that appear to be fragments of other asteroids containing mostly rocky silicates. These observations are contrary to the currently accepted surface composition classification of Ceres as a carbon-rich body, suggesting that it is cloaked by material that partially disguises its real makeup.

arrow3.gif  Read More: NASA

• Like 2

"New observations show that Ceres, the largest body in the asteroid belt, does not appear to have the carbon-rich surface composition that space- and ground-based telescopes previously indicated. "

I wonder what else the space and ground based telescopes previously indicated are incorrect.

1 hour ago, Four Winds said:

I wonder what else the space and ground based telescopes previously indicated are incorrect.

It must be difficult being a scientist when this is the sort of negative reaction they get, when what they deserve is awe that they can even tell what an asteroid is made of from millions of miles away.

Science does not claim to be an absolute truth, it is a logical, rational, search for truths. It is discoveries like this that highlight the strength of science, that it is always prepared to re-examine what it thinks it knows and is honest enough to admit when it is wrong. Science never stops searching for the truth and is never arrogant enough to think it knows it already.

• Like 3

And there it is, as always with you, attacking whatever is the first post in a thread you start.  You may not realize it, but it is your modus operandi and it is tiresome. People don't want to be the first to respond to your threads, because you just go on attack mode.

Edited by Four Winds
  • Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 6:29 AM, Four Winds said:

And there it is, as always with you, attacking whatever is the first post in a thread you start.  You may not realize it, but it is your modus operandi and it is tiresome. People don't want to be the first to respond to your threads, because you just go on attack mode.

Maybe it is what you are posting rather than when your are posting, no?   The reason we build different instruments is so we can look at objects in different ways and thereby understand their nature better.  SOFIA is a great example of outside the box thinking because it gets an IR telescope outside 99%+ of the water in our atmosphere, which absorbs a large percentage of the infra red spectrum, by mounting a 100 inch reflecting telescope in the fuselage of a 747SP that can cruise at 45K feet for up to 12 hours and launch missions all over the world. 

On 1/23/2017 at 8:11 PM, Merc14 said:

The reason we build different instruments is so we can look at objects in different ways and thereby understand their nature better.

Yes, I understand that, that is why I think it will be interesting to see what SOFIA will show us in the future. That is one of the things I love most about science, it is self correcting.  We now know we were incorrect about the surface of Ceres thanks to SOFIA, so I do wonder what else the space and ground based telescopes previously indicated are incorrect. That is not a negative reaction, really just the logical next question.

Edited by Four Winds

On 1/23/2017 at 8:11 PM, Merc14 said:

Maybe it is what you are posting rather than when your are posting, no?

Not really, it is usually the first post that gets the vitriol response. I said "I wonder what else the space and ground based telescopes previously indicated are incorrect"  I believe the people working on SOFIA are asking and now answering that same question.

Edited by Four Winds

16 minutes ago, Four Winds said:

Not really, it is usually the first post that gets the vitriol response. I said "I wonder what else the space and ground based telescopes previously indicated are incorrect"  Tell me the people working  on SOFIA are not asking the same thing?

He'll have to speak for himself but I was expecting some "NASA is hiding ET evidence" or "NASA missed that base on the Moon.  It happens a lot around here so I apologize if I misunderstood.  

I agree, SOFIA is a great instrument in that it gets fairly close, about 80%, to a telescope in orbit regarding the IR energy it can see at altitude.  The beauty of it being on an aircraft is it can be maintained and updated easily and moved around teh world to observe objects in both hemispheres

• Like 1

Quickly reading  down the [Activity Page], I was kind of giggling thinking , what  the ,

?  ... thought that said hell

.... ahw hell not this crFUN! again  ... with Merc's picture it fit ahahhhhaha! the anti woo machine.  oh magician.

Putting my other glasses on now.

Edited by MWoo7