Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Orbs?

DebDandelion

44 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:
I was interested in your questions myself and wondered what believers in the paranormal have to say. Here are some answers to your questions I found on a paranormal website. It seems even they think many are natural (but not all). I am not claiming their explanation is correct but it is something to consider.

Orbs- True orbs are spirits of the deceased (both human and animal) in the form of spheres, or balls of light that can hover and fly at will. Orbs can be transparent or translucent and can be seen in photos and videos. They usually can't be seen by the human eye alone. Some say you can even see faces inside some orbs. Photos of orbs are the most common paranormal photos out there. The number of orbs have been known to multiply greatly during moments of high paranormal activity. Orbs can be found outside and indoors as well. A theory for why a spirit takes the form of an orb is that it takes the least amount of energy to manifest into.
        Orbs have been seen coming in and out of an areas of light, usually in a funnel or cone shape which is commonly called a vortex. It is possible that orbs and other spiritual phenomena have been traveling from their dimension to ours through these vortexes. It is less common for a vortex to show up in a photo than an orb, and this might be because some vortexes open and close rather quickly when only one or two orbs are present.
        Non believers and sceptics say that photos of orbs are nothing more than dust and water particles being taken out of focus. It is likely that many of the orb photos out there are just that. That is partly why there are so many orb photos. However, orbs that have been captured on videos floating and flying around by themselves may be a little harder to be explained.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orb_(optics)

This has nothing to do with "non-believers" and "skeptics".  It's about facts and nothing else.  You're doing your same old tired crap again...

Edited by Thorvir
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, DebDandelion said:

{from papageorge1's unspecified link}  True orbs are spirits of the deceased (both human and animal) in the form of spheres, or balls of light that can hover and fly at will. Orbs can be transparent or translucent and can be seen in photos and videos. They usually can't be seen by the human eye alone. Some say you can even see faces inside some orbs. Photos of orbsare the most common paranormal photos out there. The number of orbs have been known to multiply greatly during moments of high paranormal activity. Orbs can be found outside and indoors as well. A theory for why a spirit takes the form of an orb is that it takes the least amount of energy to manifest into.

Orbs have been seen coming in and out of an areas of light, usually in a funnel or cone shape which is commonly called a vortex. It is possible that orbs and other spiritual phenomena have been traveling from their dimension to ours through these vortexes. It is less common for a vortex to show up in a photo than an orb, and this might be because some vortexes open and close rather quickly when only one or two orbs are present.
        Non believers and sceptics say that photos of orbs are nothing more than dust and water particles being taken out of focus. It is likely that many of the orb photos out there are just that. That is partly why there are so many orb photos. However, orbs that have been captured on videos floating and flying around by themselves may be a little harder to be explained.

Thank you for responding Pg. Thanks for taking the time to go and Google/visit sites to find some answers (possible answers).  Could you be so kind as to give the links where you got the info from for in case I want to read some more?

If u are unsure in how to add links (like I was)  I am pretty sure some can give advice (as well as in the forum page there are guidelines)

Regards

As pg says, all things are worthy of at least cursory initial consideration, but if they aren't backed up in any meaningful way then why would one waste more time on another made up story?  Backing things up can be done in a number of ways, the first being to CITE the website where you get the information (which papageorge rarely does, it seems).  If he had given that information initially, we could have instantly checked to see whether the rather obvious omission is in fact provided at that site..  Namely WHERE are these examples that are unexplainable (like those videos that are alleged to exist)?

It seems rather disingenuous to say that there are some things that 'might be harder to explain'.. and then vaguely handwave at those alleged things, rather than simply give examples.  I also think it's rather sad that despite not giving a single example of one, they refer to the 'paranormal' orbs as TRUE orbs....:wacko:  That doesn't exactly scream credibility.. but it does scream BIAS and perhaps a rather grave misunderstanding of what the word 'true' means..

Deb, if you do find anything out there, either at pg's link or elsewhere, do bring it back here so it can be looked at.  And again, I applaud you for the approach you are taking, namely discussing politely and in the spirit of the forum, and applying an open, but not gullible, mind.  As a photographer, in many ways I use the concepts of 'orbs', especially in the form of bokeh effects in my portraiture, plus I often encounter weird and wonderful effects including orb-like lens flares while using telescopes, binoculars, fish eye lenses and the like.  So I do have a pretty good knowledge of optical orbs (the really true ones..)... but I'd be delighted to see one that obviously wasn't from known causes.. as I like mysteries.  Genuine ones. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

It is in my humble opinion that 99% of orbs are nothing but dust particles illuminated by the camera. Look at any light shaft in a room and chances are you will see thousands of little dust particles dancing in the beam.  Even rooms that have been vacated for years will still have a particle or two floating around, and dust particles are assured in an outdoor shot. 

I myself have often "caught" orbs in my photographs, and I feel that there is nothing paranormal about them. While people are free to believe whatever they choose about orbs, be they portals to other dimensions or blobs of ghostly energy, I think that for studies of the paranormal to be taken seriously people should stop decreeing orbs as evidence of ghosts. In fact many ghost-photo sites will not accept orb photos. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/21/2017 at 11:13 PM, DebDandelion said:

I have had a few paranormal experiences, yet never the orb captured on camera experience.

This.got me.wondering.

Why do some people capture orbs on film?

How can we be sure that it is a spirit?(Why not dust on the lense etc)

Why do some spirits appear as apparitions and other as orbs? 

I'd have to say 99% of orbs have a natural explanation. Most are just photographic flukes since they weren't seen by photographer at the time they took the photo. 

There are explanations for most others such as ball lightning, swamp gas or volcanic activity in area etc. 

There seem to be a few that could be considered as spirits or like I like to call them conscious entities since they seem aware and can communicate with some people. These are few and far between but still must be put the skeptical tests to rule out more natural phenomena.

I will make a guess about why some ofthe spirit type come as an orb vs apparitions. Types of energy and cells seem to have a natural forming to be round. So the orb shape would be most common and less complicated to the entity's use of energy to manifest as an apparition. Even if a real entity appeared as an apparition, you can't logically assume that's it's real appearance of what it is or was! I mean that the apparition itself may be an energy form created to deceive you.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, White Unicorn said:

I'd have to say 99% of orbs have a natural explanation. Most are just photographic flukes since they weren't seen by photographer at the time they took the photo. 

There are explanations for most others such as ball lightning, swamp gas or volcanic activity in area etc. 

There seem to be a few that could be considered as spirits or like I like to call them conscious entities since they seem aware and can communicate with some people. These are few and far between but still must be put the skeptical tests to rule out more natural phenomena.

I will make a guess about why some ofthe spirit type come as an orb vs apparitions. Types of energy and cells seem to have a natural forming to be round. So the orb shape would be most common and less complicated to the entity's use of energy to manifest as an apparition. Even if a real entity appeared as an apparition, you can't logically assume that's it's real appearance of what it is or was! I mean that the apparition itself may be an energy form created to deceive you.

Thank u. May I ask something,  why would some entities have less energy than others? So why would some have little energy so that they have to manifest as orbs as suppose to having much energy?  Any theories on why some have more energy than others? 

25 minutes ago, DebDandelion said:

Thank u. May I ask something,  why would some entities have less energy than others? So why would some have little energy so that they have to manifest as orbs as suppose to having much energy?  Any theories on why some have more energy than others? 

My own theories on that is mostly about cause and effect. A lot of different causes can  create  the same effect or appearance but it is not always the same type of cause. That's where it gets difficult in trying to explain each one logically since each one's source could be different although appearing to us in the same ways. We can't just jump to conclusions because of there being a popular consensus of other's conclusions  that we'd like to believe ourselves. We must consider all the possibilities that a lot of this things can appear as the same type of occurrence but really are not.

As far as the strength of energy to certain orbs and apparitions that try to communicate with people, I believe that they acquire more energy from their surroundings, there seem to be some places that are more amplifying to their energy. Also there seem to be others that feed from the emotions and energies surrounding certain people to manifest more easily even to others and to be photographed as well.

If I were a real ghost caused by my birth and development of a real astral body while alive, I would assume it's just like being a child in that realm and you would learn more control while there to make contact in the different levels of consciousness and you  could learn new skills to acquire more energy to sustain that astral form and manifest to others if you are extremely motivated to do so. 

Edited by White Unicorn
  • Like 1

On 1/21/2017 at 9:13 PM, DebDandelion said:

I have had a few paranormal experiences, yet never the orb captured on camera experience.

This.got me.wondering.

Why do some people capture orbs on film?

How can we be sure that it is a spirit?(Why not dust on the lense etc)

Why do some spirits appear as apparitions and other as orbs? 

I see orbs in my house & all around me without a camera. I see them as I see a door or a person. I can feel them when they enter a room wheather it is male or female. At first I did not know what they wera until I did research on them.  Some are very colorful, beautiful & they respond when you ask them something. 

• Like 3

Spiritual energy can't be picked up by cameras, so I doubt any of them are legitimate. The only time they would is if that energy was converted to light (not sure if that's possible though, it could be considering light can be converted to other energy and vice versa). If it can it would probably be very hard to do and I can't see a reason why any entity would waste its energy on that when it's completely unnecessary. That's not to say it wouldn't happen, but I would think it'd be extremely rare. Normally when people see something it's not because of physical light, it's because you're looking into the spiritual plane (which can happen subconsciously).

As for why something would appear as an orb, I dunno probably just because it's easier, a sphere is a very basic shape, it has no corners or edges, it lacks detail. Maybe it's just a preference. Maybe that's just how some things are, and they can't take a different form. It's not like there's just one type of spiritual entity, so who knows.

• Like 2