Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Did humans wipe out Australia's megafauna ?

UM-Bot

Rather than on the "why" , I'm more fascinated right now by the "what". 

It sure had to be a spectacle back then. 

I wonder, considering the relative short distance in time that separates us from them, if it would be feasible with our current technology realise a "megafauna park", instead of a jurassic one. 

I reckon it would still make tons of money. 

For sure they'd have mine! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Parsec said:

I reckon it would still make tons of money. 

For sure they'd have mine! 

Mine too, marsupials are much better than dinosaurs anyway. 

3 hours ago, Parsec said:

I wonder, considering the relative short distance in time that separates us from them, if it would be feasible with our current technology realise a "megafauna park", instead of a jurassic one. 

No, sadly not, they've abandoned the thylacine cloning programme because it's just beyond us at the moment. That's specifically about Australian megafauna though.

They might be able to manage the mammoth though, but then I think you could just glue fluff on an Asain elephant and get the same effect. 

• Like 4

I've understood for a very long time now that it is accepted that humans helped to wipe out Australia's big animals.

• Like 2

Anyone knows it was over kill by homo sapiens that did them in:(Killing out all herds and not thinking of keeping them to produce them for more food.

• Like 2

I found it ironic how New Agers often claim that our distant ancestors were always so "in-tune" with nature, yet they still contributed to the extinction of dozens of large animal species across the globe just like modern humans.

Edited by Carnoferox
  • Like 1