Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

400-year-old shopping list found

Black Monk

A 400-year-old shopping list for 'green fish', pewter spoons and a new frying pan has been discovered under the floorboards of a historic Tudor mansion in Kent.

The shopping list and two other letters, dating from 1603, 1622 and 1633, were discovered at Knole House in Sevenoaks by archaeology volunteer Jim Parker and building contractor Dan Morrison during a £19.8 million restoration project currently happening at the huge home, which is run the by National Trust.

All three were written on rag paper, a high quality parchment popular during the 17th century.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4145360/400-year-old-shopping-list-discovered-Knole-House.html

Edited by Black Monk
  • Like 7

Anyone know what 'Green Fish' is?

I wonder if in a thousand years historians will be looking at our posts on UM and people will be shaking their heads at how archaic we seem.

• Like 3

I was just reading the comments and someone said Atlantic cod.  Not sure how correct that is, but if it is correct, not as bad as it sounds.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Anyone know what 'Green Fish' is?

I wonder if in a thousand years historians will be looking at our posts on UM and people will be shaking their heads at how archaic we seem.

I think it referred at that time to Atlantic cod, although several species of fish discovered since then are referred to as "greenfish": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenfish

I also often wonder what people in hundreds or thousands of years time will think of us. Of course, we'd likely be about as primitive technologically to people in the 2500s as people in the 1500s were to us.

Edited by Black Monk
  • Like 3

Why isn't Cheeto's on the list? That should be on every generation's grocery list. 

4 hours ago, Black Monk said:

I also often wonder what people in hundreds or thousands of years time will think of us. 

If they find mine, they'll be like "oh good, this guy had Cheeto's on his grocery list, this ancient man had taste!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, NightScreams said:

Why isn't Cheeto's on the list? That should be on every generation's grocery list. 

If they find mine, they'll be like "oh good, this guy had Cheeto's on his grocery list, this ancient man had taste!

In fact, they'd probably wonder what Cheetos are and would probably spend years debating it.

12 minutes ago, Black Monk said:

In fact, they'd probably wonder what Cheetos are and would probably spend years debating it.

Cheetos?   Probably some form of votive offering. 

(Times may change, archaeologists won't :D )

42 minutes ago, Essan said:

Cheetos?   Probably some form of votive offering. 

(Times may change, archaeologists won't :D )

That's what they might think, similar as to how we find a bronze dagger in a marsh in the Fens and archaeologists say "It must have been an offering to the gods, ceremonially placed by Neolithic Britons into the marsh" when, in fact, it might have just accidentally fallen into the marsh.