Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ghost cop car

Hankenhunter

I'm a little hesitant to post this because of over skepticism but I would like answers so I'll take the good with the bad.

This happened in 1974 when I was 14 years old. I lived on a small farm in rural Manitoba. I had to take a day off of school to be on hand for delivery of a slaughtered sow. Both my parents worked, and being the oldest son it fell on me to be there. This is the background.

While waiting for said pig, I decided to have a bite to eat in the living room which looks over tne rather long drive way we had. As I was eating our German Shepherd Scout started whining while looking out the picture window. This was odd behavior for him as he always barked, never whined. I got up to look expecting to see the farmers truck and saw an odd sight. A vintage police car was turning onto our driveway very slowly. Our drive way was about 90 meters long. Scout started growling, whining, and shaking and for some reason I got very scared. I bolted out the back door, dove under the house through the crawl space to the other side to continue watching through the siding. Scout was with me the whole time and I had to admonish him to shut up. All total it had to have taken no more than 15-to 20 seconds to accomplish this. When I looked through the siding there was nothing there! I was astonished and quite chagrined to say the least. There's no way the car could have turned around and left or backed out in the time that it took me to travel to the siding. The road running past our house was clear in both directions for at least two hundred yards in either direction. I was shaking and still scared as I climbed out from under the house. 10 minutes later the farmer showed up with our pork. 

To this day I still don't understand what happened.  Why was I so scared? The car was obviously a very old model to my eyes but that shouldn't have instilled fear in me or my dog. Another thing that I recall was the car made no noise on the driveway. Our driveway was covered with 3/4" crushed rock that made lots of noise when a vehicle traveled over it. The door facing the road in the living room was open with the screen door closed so I should have heard something. The other thing was there wasn't any dust. It was summer at the time, and a car going down the dirt road would have left clouds of dust behind like the farmers truck that brought the pork. These are the questions I've asked myself for many years.  Now I put them to you folks. Thanks in advance for any help.

Hank

• Like 1

Hank. I can't answer your question, but i can thank you for posting. 

It reminded me of a story from when I was young,  my Mum's Uncle was dying from cancer, and we where all stayng at my cousins.

We were there about 2 weeks all up. One morning my sister, my cousin and I woke up and my sister and cousin both described seeing Uncle Eric outside the window, smiling and waving in. (I didn't see it) The house was way out in Australian Bush land, so if it was a prowler they where friendly and determined. Any way, just before we got out of bed the phone rang. It was the hospital ringing to say Uncle Eric had passed away through the night.

Maybe coincidental. I don't know. But Thank you again for sharing your story.

Edited by Kismit

Now, of course I can't tell you what exactly happened in your one case. But there are enough credible cases by sane reasonable people that I believe in the paranormal beyond reasonable doubt. 100% natural explanations does not seem like a reasonable position to me.

Now to your question; perhaps a residual haunting from an emotionally charged event in the time of the vintage car?

Edited by Kismit

It was all a dream!!

12 hours ago, Hankenhunter said:

I'm a little hesitant to post this because of over skepticism but I would like answers so I'll take the good with the bad.

This happened in 1974 when I was 14 years old. I lived on a small farm in rural Manitoba....

Hank, firstly I really liked that story. Thanks for posting it. Although, for a second I got a bit alarmed at the thought of you eating your German shepherd. 

I don't doubt  what you say, I've had a very similar kind of experience myself, but there are a few points in your story, as you present it here, that I want to highlight. 

Our drive way was about 90 meters long.

And

Another thing that I recall was the car made no noise on the driveway.

Would you have heard it at the end of your drive, at that distance? If the car came no closer, then just backed out while you weren't looking. But, you don't say how far you remember the car coming down your drive. Which relates to the following

13 hours ago, Hankenhunter said:

Our drive way was about 90 meters long. Scout started growling, whining, and shaking and for some reason I got very scared. I bolted out the back door, dove under the house through the crawl space

And 

13 hours ago, Hankenhunter said:

All total it had to have taken no more than 15-to 20 seconds to accomplish this. When I looked through the siding there was nothing there! I was astonished and quite chagrined to say the least. There's no way the car could have turned around and left or backed out in the time that it took me to travel to the siding. The road running past our house was clear in both directions for at least two hundred yards in either direction

From that description of the car slowly turning into your drive, are you sure it wasn't just pulling off the main road, rather than actually coming down your drive? How long did you watch it for? We'll never know now because the event took place in 1974 and the memory is unreliable. 

And, if you took your eyes off the car for 15 to 20 seconds then there's no mystery as to how it could have covered the 200 yards, when it'd only need to be travelling 40.91 mph to achieve this in 10 seconds. 

So what you may have seen, again going on what you've said here, is someone pulling into your drive to turn round, backing out and 'booting it'off  down a nice clear road. I do this in rural areas all the time. It's a bit childish, but it is fun. 

As for the dog, there are too many variables to explain, or even begin to infer anything, from animal behaviour. As lovely as they are, and as much as we can empathise with them most of the time, they're weird, crazy things. 

• Like 1