Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mystery surrounds felling of 200 beech trees

UM-Bot

It really just shows no respect for the world we live in, or their own land(s) for that matter. It is waste with a capital W. I am no "tree hugger" but damn this is just extremely wasteful.

Edited by IamthemanfromNantucket
Cause I feel like it again.
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, Noxasa said:

200 year old trees are not considered "ancient" as stated in the article.  An obvious attempt to assign some great sigificance to them.  They're just average trees.  As long as the owner of the property wanted them down then I don't see a problem.

:huh:

Jeeze !   

I guess thats how they feel in Indonesia too ! 

Image result for Indonesian deforestation

Even on your own land here there are restrictions on felling and clearing . 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

Same here. When settlers came to North America, the old growth forests were open and park-like. This is because Native Americans groomed the land with fire which kept deadwood and other flammable detritus from building up and encouraged the growth of grasses and shrubs to attract the animal they hunted. Now, much of the old growth has been replaced by secondary growth forests and are  tangled woods  for the most part, untouched and unmanaged. This results in catastrophic forest fires, from time to time.

Yep , pretty much they dynamic here too . 

We are starting to learn though , if it isnt too late already ;

http://hunter.lls.nsw.gov.au/resource-hub/newsletters/newsletter-articles-2016/supporting-indigenous-fire-management

8 hours ago, toast said:

In my country trees on a privat property cannot be felled without a permit granted by the responsible authority and the accepted reasons for such a permit are limited.

German Forestry is second to none.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, back to earth said:

Jeeze !   

People found out the hard way what a watershed is. If you cut down all the trees the streams dry up. If you replant the trees the streams come back as they did in the replanted woodlands of the Shenandoah Valley.

• Like 1

Some guy here had a large rural property with a stream / small river running through it.   he started dumping stuff in the river; natural stuff, logs, trimmings , etc .   People thought it was nature abuse and vandalism .

Eventually the river flow slowed and pools  formed, the watershed  became saturated and backed up along his river side fields and up the end of the valley.  The grass started getting greener and more prolific, everything started growing better, even in dry season. he got the idea by observing natural and untouched  watercourses.

16 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

People found out the hard way what a watershed is. If you cut down all the trees the streams dry up. If you replant the trees the streams come back as they did in the replanted woodlands of the Shenandoah Valley.

As long as they the right sort of trees - a few places they planted imported Aussie 'gum trees'  and the water courses dried up ..... thirsty little b*****s they are ! 

On another note ..... my bush cabin;  beautiful little feral piece of work :)    ;

Pole frame - white mahogany and tallow wood , once dried, cant even hammer a nail into it, nail hoes have to be drilled first - 40 years on, still no termites. Lining is all various mixed hardwoods , no  horrible plaster board or composite wood products  ( yuk ! ) , trim ( git lots of windows, shelves , etc  is  silky oak - beautiful . 

It all came from a small private mill that two 70+ year old guys ran .  All the wood used in my cabin was classed 3rd grade salvage by foresty..., that a level below firewood !   These old guys knew their stuff, I went into the rainforest with them once ;  "No not that one, habitat, no, that one will fall this way and damage that one ... and so on ... masters !

They offered the wood in exchange for work at the mill ..... I didnt have a hope in hell of keeping up with the, they seemed effortless and had amazing speed and efficiency , I had to retire after 2 days ......   some cash seemed a better option ... to mine and their relief !

End result ;  nice cabin,  separate  2 room  studio,  caravan annex and roof - $8000     !  

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

German Forestry is second to none.

Yeah and my hometown has a population of 1.8M and there are 660.000 trees within the city. (And  2.500 bridges BTW).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, toast said:

Yeah and my hometown has a population of 1.8M and there are 660.000 trees within the city. (And  2.500 bridges BTW).

We are very fond of our trees, as well.       south-gay-st-knoxville-tn-e71m0y.jpg

• Like 3

On 1/25/2017 at 1:58 PM, back to earth said:

Jeeze !   

Oh Lord...we're talking about a row of 200 year old Beech trees not a forest.  LOL.  

Chopping down a forest isn’t even remotely close to this situation and just demonstrates the ad-absurdum logic environmentalists use to control perceived slights to their power.  Just like using the term "ancient" to refer to these trees.  They’re not “ancient” and it’s not a forest.

• Like 1

What are you on about  ????   

I was addressing this comment you made ;  "   As long as the owner of the property wanted them down then I don't see a problem.  "   I even added ;   "   Even on your own land here there are restrictions on felling and clearing  . "

My issue was, in places where land ownership allows the owner to assess whether  or not to log and how to address environmental issues , wanton cutting down of trees is often an issue and gives bad results .  

I think you demonstrated something in your response ! 

Edited by back to earth

People are stilling killing elephants for ivory, and other animals for anything that will bring value, so trees simply won't mean a thing to whoever is responsible.

• Like 1

This looks like the work of someone with a bee in his bonnet. There seems to have been no attempt to take branches for firewood or construction. Hope they find him, he could start setting fires or killing animals or people next.

On 1/23/2017 at 6:24 AM, Bavarian Raven said:

Well no one cares(d) about the thousands of old growth regular sitka spruce being cut down annually, but as soon as someone cuts down the "special golden one" all hell breaks loose. I understand his motives perfectly - not saying i agree with it, but that i understand the sad irony he showed the world.

Then please explain his motivation for this act because your above statement looks like you're just spouting hot air.

7 hours ago, OverSword said:

Then please explain his motivation for this act because your above statement looks like you're just spouting hot air.

His motive (imho) was to draw attention to people's hypocracry (how they got up in arms over this one tree but not the thousands of old growth sources cut annually) while hoping to draw more attention to old growth logging. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bavarian Raven said:

His motive (imho) was to draw attention to people's hypocracry (how they got up in arms over this one tree but not the thousands of old growth sources cut annually) while hoping to draw more attention to old growth logging. 

My apologies for the tone of my criticism.  That makes insane sense if he's the type to cut off his nose to spite his face.

• Like 2