Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NASA studies lunar astrophysics mission

Waspie_Dwarf

NASA reviewing UAH-led proposal for next-generation lunar astrophysics mission

Next-generation astrophysics research using the moon as home base and The University of Alabama in Huntsville (UAH) as its world-class data center are the goals of a multiyear, $237 million NASA satellite mission proposed by a UAH astrophysicist’s collaborative group.

Dr. Richard S. Miller is advancing the proposal for UAH, which is the lead institution. Nine other institutions nationally are collaborating on the Lunar Occultation Explorer (LOX) astrophysics mission, which employs a unique new technique to study supernovae and to establish the moon as a platform for astrophysics.

The proposal was submitted to NASA’s Medium-class Explorer (MIDEX) program in December. A decision could come within the next six months.

arrow3.gif  Read More: The University of Alabama in Huntsville

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Waspie_Dwarf

• Merc14

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, Merc14 said:

Waspie, is there a simple explanation for what the  Lunar Occultation Technique is?

As I understand it, you allow the Moon to come between the satellite and the object of interest. The Moon blocks the signal from the object you are studying. Because you precisely know the position of the satellite you can precisely measure the position of the object of interest. Also, by observing the drop off of the signal, the angular size of the object can be determined.

I am sure that there is much more to it than that, but it will need someone with more knowledge than I have to explain.

50 minutes ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

As I understand it, you allow the Moon to come between the satellite and the object of interest. The Moon blocks the signal from the object you are studying. Because you precisely know the position of the satellite you can precisely measure the position of the object of interest. Also, by observing the drop off of the signal, the angular size of the object can be determined.

I am sure that there is much more to it than that, but it will need someone with more knowledge than I have to explain.

Thanks, that clears it for me up.  So the satellite will orbit the Moon and aim at and track an object just before occulting occurs to gather data about.  

28 minutes ago, Merc14 said:

So the satellite will orbit the Moon and aim at and track an object just before occulting occurs to gather data about.  

I think so.

• Like 1