Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ghostland: An American History in Haunted..

rashore

Sorry I trailed off the full title in the topic header. There just isn't a good way to condense down that title. The full title of the book is Ghostland: An American History in Haunted Places.

So, I came across this book review today, and found it interesting.

In an era where paranormal reality series abound, Colin Dickey’s new book, “Ghostland: An American History in Haunted Places,” is a refreshing look at how ghost stories speak to our nation’s past and to the issues that we face today.

Rather than speculate on whether or not ghosts are real, Dickey investigates famous haunted places from around the country in order to understand how these stories originated, why they persist, and what they say about us, the living: “If you want to understand a place, ignore the boastful monuments and landmarks, and go straight to the haunted houses. Look for the darkened graveyards, the derelict hotels, the emptied and decaying old hospitals.”

http://www.emporiagazette.com/news/article_896faad0-6e83-59dd-856b-1d74ab80b905.html

And an interesting NPR article with the writer about it.

If you really want to understand a place, writer Colin Dickey has some advice: "Ignore the boastful monuments and landmarks, and go straight to the haunted houses. Look for the darkened graveyards, the derelict hotels, the emptied and decaying old hospitals."

Dickey has spent a lot of time traveling the country searching for places that go bump in the night. The result is a new book called Ghostland: An American History in Haunted Places.

http://www.npr.org/2016/10/12/496756968/skeletons-in-the-closet-what-ghost-stories-reveal-about-america-s-past

I haven't read the book since I just found out about it- has anyone else here read it? Or know about the author? I thought it sounded like an interesting book and wanted to share :)

Edited by rashore
  • Like 1