Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Trump Signs Order to Kill TPP

Dark_Grey

That TPP was not a 'good deal' for us at all. I hope President Trump will be a able to get some far better trade deals for our country.

• Like 9

Yeah that really needed to go. No brainer really. Just about anybody who got into office probably would have signed that one, well except Obama of course. Thank god for limited terms. 

• Like 8

That deal would have been like sticking a large bore needle into the vein of our economy and just sucking our life blood away.

• Like 3

Now if he can only renegotiate NAFTA.  I think I have the right to know what country the meat I eat came from. 

• Like 9

To be fair Obama's use of the EO was the 4th lowest since Theodore Roosevelt was president. And the lowest use of EO for a two term president from the start of the 20th century.

Edited by Thanato

On related note:

"We think we can cut regulations by 75 percent. Maybe more," Trump told business leaders.

"When you want to expand your plant, or when Mark wants to come in and build a big massive plant, or when Dell wants to come in and do something monstrous and special – you're going to have your approvals really fast,” Trump said, referring to Mark Fields, CEO of Ford.

Fields said he was encouraged by the tone of the meeting.

Read more...

I wonder if regulation cuts will involve other than building permits related issues? For example, abolishing nonsensical GMO labeling, loosening testing procedures, encouraging to introduce more genetically engineered varieties and species, etc.

As there was Dow Chemical Co CEO in meeting with Trump, I hope so.

1 hour ago, bmk1245 said:

On related note:

I wonder if regulation cuts will involve other than building permits related issues? For example, abolishing nonsensical GMO labeling, loosening testing procedures, encouraging to introduce more genetically engineered varieties and species, etc.

As there was Dow Chemical Co CEO in meeting with Trump, I hope so.

Not likely. People actually want GMO labeling. Any regulation that restricts information to the public, meant to protect large corporations, is some seriously fascist  ****.

• Like 3

Man its scary to think there are people who want others to blindly be lab rats to corporations. SMH

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

Not likely. People actually want GMO labeling. Any regulation that restricts information to the public, meant to protect large corporations, is some seriously fascist  ****.

Demonizing for years and then slapping yellow David star on the chest - thats what some seriously fascist **** is.

Labeling is just protectionism of other breeding techniques.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bmk1245 said:

Demonizing for years and then slapping yellow David star on the chest - thats what some seriously fascist **** is.

Labeling is just protectionism of other breeding techniques.

So then go out there and change peoples minds, don't put a blind fold on them. If you cant, and they still wont listen then tough. Who the hell do you think you are?

• Like 2

Besides, convincing people that they should feed their children corn that would kill an insect should they eat it doesn't sound like a good idea. Which should, and is to a growing number, pretty obvious. Polluting our water and land with cancer causing weed killers doesn't sound like a very good idea either. So good luck winning the court of public opinion.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Dark_Grey said:

Not bad for his first week!! :D Through executive order, no less! Thanks for the laying that groundwork, Obama. That Presidential power will come in handy undoing your dirty work.

Trump signs order to withdraw U.S. from TPP

Early days dear fellow :)

Speaking for Australia - we will survive without trading with the US :tu:

In fact it leaves it open for for a wider pan-Pacific trading bloc for us.

So we are in darn good position to leaving our options open. Sure, losing the US from the TPP is a loss...but we will not walk away from our commitment to Australian jobs etc...

Our PM has already discussed the pact's future plans with other PM's from Japan, Singapore, and New Zealand.

Also - the Australian Government has already confirmed that it's finding a replacement deal that could include China which is the world's second biggest economy...(in which we already have a very good rapport with) and also many other Trans-Pacific partnerships have already got agreements with us.

So basically for Australia - no great loss with the US.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Astra. said:

you prbly will, but canceling tpp does not man we wont trade with Australia, or any other of 12 countries, we'll do it still, but  on different terms that are to be negotiated,

• Like 6

Oh dear - what will the protesters do now --- :wacko:

thank President Trump..? .. Praise him on Face Book and Twitter..?

what a dilemma --- !! :lol:

https://www.rt.com/usa/366921-dc-protest-trump-tpp/

...."Protesters against both President-elect Donald Trump and the Trans-Pacific Partnership have blocked a major highway in downtown Washington, DC. Though Trump is against the TPP, protesters say they don’t trust him to kill the controversial trade deal....."

• Like 6

In Indiana, Republican legislators have sparked outrage after introducing a bill that would empower police to remove protesters blocking traffic using "any means necessary." Organizers and activists opposed to the legislation have dubbed it the "block traffic and you die" bill. 

https://www.democracynow.org/2017/1/19/headlines/indiana_outrage_as_republicans_push_law_dubbed_block_traffic_and_you_die_bill

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Astra. said:

Early days dear fellow :)

In fact it leaves it open for for a wider pan-Pacific trading bloc for us.

How much do you know about the TPP? Do you know that includes legislation to allow corporations to sue governments that interfere with sketchy business practices? How about the pages concerning secret corporate tribunals that operate outside of Federal courts?

This is great victory for every country. This horrible bill would have handed over the Earth's resources to the highest bidder on a silver platter. As an Australian, you should be very grateful it never passed.

• Like 6

47 minutes ago, aztek said:

In Indiana, Republican legislators have sparked outrage after introducing a bill that would empower police to remove protesters blocking traffic using "any means necessary." Organizers and activists opposed to the legislation have dubbed it the "block traffic and you die" bill. 

https://www.democracynow.org/2017/1/19/headlines/indiana_outrage_as_republicans_push_law_dubbed_block_traffic_and_you_die_bill

Block traffic and the guy in the back of the ambulance will die. I support this bill. Go protest on the sidewalks and in the parks but don't disrupt emergency services.

• Like 7

Just now, Dark_Grey said:

Block traffic and the guy in the back of the ambulance will die. I support this bill. Go protest on the sidewalks and in the parks but don't disrupt emergency services.

That's very dramatic DG.

Believe you me.... Australia WILL survive with or without the US as far as the TPP goes.

Come to think of it...even if Trump builds a whole damn wall around the whole of the USA.....countries will eventually unite and get on rather well. You are NOT the 'be all and end all'....:st

18 minutes ago, Astra. said:

That's very dramatic DG.

Believe you me.... Australia WILL survive with or without the US as far as the TPP goes.

Come to think of it...even if Trump builds a whole damn wall around the whole of the USA.....countries will eventually unite and get on rather well. You are NOT the 'be all and end all'....:st

Why do you keep insisting the TPP was centered on American trade? I suggest you dig a little deeper in to what the TPP actually is.
Also, how am I being dramatic? Blocking emergency services has been and is a real issue with protestors. These are not my opinions, this is fact. If a line of protestors blocks a highway, are the ambulances going to grow wings and fly? Stop seeing red and think critically for a moment.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Astra. said:

That's very dramatic DG.

Here's a good place to start with the TPP:

Secret Trans-Pacific Partnership Agreement (TPP) - Investment Chapter

Julian Assange, WikiLeaks editor said: "The TPP has developed in secret an unaccountable supranational court for multinationals to sue states. This system is a challenge to parliamentary and judicial sovereignty. Similar tribunals have already been shown to chill the adoption of sane environmental protection, public health and public transport policies."

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

Why do you keep insisting the TPP was centered on American trade?

What are you talking about ?....where am I insisting ???

I suggest you dig a little deeper in to what the TPP actually is.

Don't you dare patronise me....I'm quite aware of what TPP is.

Also, how am I being dramatic?

Because you simply come across as being dramatic.

Blocking emergency services has been and is a real issue with protestors.

I have no idea of what you are talking about. What am I blocking...where emergency services are concerned ?

These are not my opinions, this is fact. If a line of protestors blocks a highway, are the ambulances going to grow wings and fly

Err...probably not :huh:

Stop seeing red and think critically for a moment.

I will see - black, brindle or blue if it suits me....and believe me Sir....I always think critically when the need arises ;)

13 hours ago, Thanato said:

To be fair Obama's use of the EO was the 4th lowest since Theodore Roosevelt was president. And the lowest use of EO for a two term president from the start of the 20th century.

Ok, but what Trump just signed were not Executive Orders, they were Presidential Memoranda.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2017/01/24/executive-order-vs-presidential-memorandum-whats-difference/96979014/

• Like 4