Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Signs of Alien Air

Waspie_Dwarf

Signs of Alien Air Herald a New Era of Exoplanet Discoveries

New efforts hint that nearby world GJ 1132 b may have an Earth-like atmosphere with water and methane

For astronomers seeking Earth twins around other stars, the exoplanet GJ 1132 b probably isn’t an identical sibling—but it may be the closest cousin yet found. It weighs in at just over one Earth mass, but circles its star in a warm orbit that could make it more like Venus than our own world. Moreover, its diameter is nearly 50 percent larger than that of Earth, suggesting it possesses a thick atmosphere. Now, after taking the closest-ever look at GJ 1132 b, a European collaboration has confirmed the presence of its atmosphere and found hints it might contain water and methane. The results are currently under review for publication in The Astrophysical Journal.

arrow3.gif  Read More: Scientific American

• Like 5

Interesting find....  :tu:

• Like 1

It is indeed interesting, I just wish they would stop using the term "Earth-like". If the planet is like Venus, it isn't "Earth-like".  

9 minutes ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

It is indeed interesting, I just wish they would stop using the term "Earth-like".

I would agree with you usually, but I think that is unfair criticism in this case.

Nowhere in the article is the planet describe as "Earth-like". The term, "Earth-like" is used twice, firstly in the sub-title where it says, "may have an Earth-like atmosphere". Secondly in the article itself where the phrase used is, "as they examine the atmospheres of smaller, more Earth-like worlds"

Nor does the article say that the planet is like Venus, it says, " could make it more like Venus than our own world". (Emphasis mine in all cases).

21 minutes ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

If the planet is like Venus, it isn't "Earth-like".  

Compared to what? If you are comparing Venus to the gas giants it could be considered very Earth-like. "Earth-like" is a rather subjective term.