Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

third eye

zerolovescake

so one day i was looking up stuff to become a psychic and i felt something weird between my eyebrows. it felt like a tingle but a headache at the same time. is this my third eye opening?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, zerolovescake said:

it felt like a tingle but a headache at the same time. is this my third eye opening?

Has this sensation increased or decreased as time has passed? If it has increased it might be worth getting a check up.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, zerolovescake said:

so one day i was looking up stuff to become a psychic and i felt something weird between my eyebrows. it felt like a tingle but a headache at the same time. is this my third eye opening?

The third eye concept is a myth.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Claire. said:

The third eye concept is a myth.

Let's dig a little deeper into that shall we? 

The 'location' of the Third Eye is where the frontal lobe is. The frontal lobe's function is that of movement, thought initiation, reasoning, behavior, memory, and speech. The third eye can be seen as the imagination itself (metaphorically) as it's something in which the outer world can be internalized and processed through symbolic means. Now if you were to focus on the more metaphysical function of the 3rd eye (such as psychic powers) you're in for some self-delusion which isn't a part of the actual training of this chakra. As all it really is, is just a mental construct that represents specific functions. Transcending duality etc. However since you're basically mentally exercising the frontal lobe and it's functions then metaphorically it does exist. 

Sort of like focusing on a yantra (sacred symbol) where the daily effort allows you to focus your thoughts and is a discipline of mind and body. If you toss out the woo factor it can be a good exercise in concentration.

40 minutes ago, zerolovescake said:

...No. You felt what you wanted to because that is what you probably felt you should believe in.

In other words, it is all in your head. The "third eye" is just a cute name for a gland in the brain called the 'Pineal Gland'.

Here is one

Another one

One more

Your Pineal Gland is about as "spiritual" as your spleen or Pancreas.

Edited by Ryu
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ryu said:

'Pineal Gland'.

That's kind of funny when you think about. The location of the 3rd eye is right at the frontal lobe but it's supposed to be at the pineal gland which is deeper in the brain. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

Let's dig a little deeper into that shall we? 

The 'location' of the Third Eye is where the frontal lobe is. The frontal lobe's function is that of movement, thought initiation, reasoning, behavior, memory, and speech. The third eye can be seen as the imagination itself (metaphorically) as it's something in which the outer world can be internalized and processed through symbolic means. Now if you were to focus on the more metaphysical function of the 3rd eye (such as psychic powers) you're in for some self-delusion which isn't a part of the actual training of this chakra. As all it really is, is just a mental construct that represents specific functions. Transcending duality etc. However since you're basically mentally exercising the frontal lobe and it's functions then metaphorically it does exist. 

Sort of like focusing on a yantra (sacred symbol) where the daily effort allows you to focus your thoughts and is a discipline of mind and body. If you toss out the woo factor it can be a good exercise in concentration.

The pineal gland is located near the center of the brain and it's primary function is to produce melatonin which helps maintain circadian rhythm and regulate reproductive hormones. It has nothing whatsoever to do with all that woo stuff.

2Vx1azX.jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Claire. said:

It has nothing whatsoever to do with all that woo stuff.

Exactly. But for some reason it's associated with a 'chakra' who's supposed location is in the frontal lobe. In a way I could think that perhaps the mediation might induce a state like a waking dream, but that's up to neuroscience to hash out. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

Exactly. But for some reason it's associated with a 'chakra' who's supposed location is in the frontal lobe. In a way I could think that perhaps the mediation might induce a state like a waking dream, but that's up to neuroscience to hash out. 

Here's a brief description of the Ajna chakra's location:

The Ajna chakra is located in the pineal gland directly behind the center of the forehead, but its kshetram, or superficial location, is between the eyebrows at the bridge of the nose. The pineal gland deep inside the brain is also associated with Ajna, as both are considered a "third eye".

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ajna

Additional information: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_eye

• Like 1

Yeah it makes no sense whatsoever. Plus nothing ever comes from the practice of chakra meditation in terms of "Psychic" powers. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Yeah it makes no sense whatsoever. Plus nothing ever comes from the practice of chakra meditation in terms of "Psychic" powers. 

No it doesn't. Like I mentioned earlier, it's a myth.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, zerolovescake said:

Here's something from Theosophy

The Third Eye, also known as the inner eye or the eye of the mind, in popular culture is proposed to be an invisible eye which provides perception beyond ordinary sight. In Hinduism, it is known as the "Eye of Siva" and refers to the ajna chakra.  The third eye is often associated with religious visions, clairvoyance, precognition, spiritual intuition, etc.

So, I doubt looking up stuff caused your tingling.

I'll just say I'm happy to oblige, one way or the other ...

~

• Like 2

8 hours ago, zerolovescake said:

It is not. Opening a chakra take many years of meditatios. If you feel a headache, sou you should visit the doctor.

8 hours ago, Ryu said:

Your Pineal Gland is about as "spiritual" as your spleen or Pancreas.

Not quite how I spell it, and I assure you mine isn't in my brain ........

Everyone has a third eye. 

Edited by The Butler
  • Like 1

A third eye is a metaphysical statement.......it is the ability to sense something beyond what the physical eye can see.........

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The Butler said:

Not quite how I spell it, and I assure you mine isn't in my brain ........

Everyone has a third eye. 

If it is physical then it has a location, otherwise it is just an imaginary construct.

See, this is just one of my issues with stuff like this; people take a metaphor and try to pass is off as a physical, tangible thing thereby obfuscating the topic.

The Pineal Gland is often referred to as the "third eye" simply because its structure vaguely resembles an eye. Nothing more.

14 hours ago, Ryu said:

If it is physical then it has a location, otherwise it is just an imaginary construct.

See, this is just one of my issues with stuff like this; people take a metaphor and try to pass is off as a physical, tangible thing thereby obfuscating the topic.

The Pineal Gland is often referred to as the "third eye" simply because its structure vaguely resembles an eye. Nothing more.

That was a joke.  A play on words that doesn't warrant further explanation on a family oriented forum.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, The Butler said:

That was a joke.  A play on words that doesn't warrant further explanation on a family oriented forum.  

A joke, you say? Must have been a crude one if it cannot be explained here. ;)

I'm afraid sarcasm and jokes don't always come across so readily on forums. My bad....

1 hour ago, Ryu said:

A joke, you say? Must have been a crude one if it cannot be explained here. ;)

I'm afraid sarcasm and jokes don't always come across so readily on forums. My bad....

Yeah his joke fell a little limp.:lol:

• Like 1