Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Friends face jail after goldfish swallowing

Still Waters

Two friends face jail for taking part in a drinking game dare in which one of them swallowed a live goldfish.

Daniel Challis, who ate the fish, and Cheryl Stevens, who videoed him and posted the footage on Facebook, were both convicted of causing unnecessary suffering to the creature.

They were told by magistrates in Torbay, Devon, that they could be given a custodial sentence and the case was adjourned for reports on them to be prepared.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jan/20/two-friends-face-jail-over-dare-that-ended-in-goldfish-swallowing

• Like 2

Wow, what a waste of time.    I hope no one videos them swatting a fly.   They could be tried as repeat offenders.

• Like 3

Would (or should) individuals who dine on animals that are still alive face similar consequences? Oysters, for example, are generally served live. And then there's ikizukuri where the fish is prepared and eaten whilst still desperately trying to breathe. It someone is prosecuted for swallowing a goldfish, then shouldn't the law be applied across the board? Suffering is suffering, regardless of the intent behind it.

• Like 3

So let me get this straight: you can be jailed in Britain in 2017 for eating fish?

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Black Monk said:

So let me get this straight: you can be jailed in Britain in 2017 for eating fish?

I think it's death for pulling the wings off a fly.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Myles said:

I think it's death for pulling the wings off a fly.

Wouldn't surprise me.

The funny thing is, halal meat - which involves horrendous suffering for the animals - is perfectly legal.

• Like 1

That's the scales of justice for you. Then again, the threat of a custodial sentence could just be a red herring.

• Like 1

I feel for the goldfish, but are there laws against tossing a lobster in a boiling pot of water? 

No there are not. 

At least Martha Stewart gets hers drunk first.

Edited by ChaosRose
  • Like 2

Have you ever seen someone quarter a living lobster before cooking it?  Delicious.  The prosecutor needs to be fined for wasting public money on this case.