Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Saphar, the metropolis....

Hanslune

3 minutes ago, atalante said:

Don't know! I found that reference to a city in the book I linked to and was trying to find information on it the spelling/sound might mean they are the same, thanks.

8 hours ago, The Butler said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTWdf8-0X3O0-hs_5xkjJT

May we presume this fine hulky fellow is named Saphar?

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 10:05 AM, atalante said:

I think he means Zamfir:

Harte

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Harte said:

I think he means Zamfir:

Harte

Truly a weak attempt at humor - to bed without your dinner and no more food for you all month - until you eat your own leg.

• Like 1

But... but... he's the Master of the Pan Flute! And ... he played on "Kill Bill!"

Harte

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harte said:

But... but... he's the Master of the Pan Flute! And ... he played on "Kill Bill!"

Harte

Quiet you and eat your leg in silence as you reflect on what you did wrong - and no you may NOT have some sweet chili sauce to go with it!

• Like 1

I have a copy of an old book I use for very similar purposes to what the OP is asking for called Bibliotecha Classica. It's from 1851, so it's not perfect, but it's usually a good gazetteer of the Classical and early Medieval world. It does not list a "Saphar." Or Zophar, although that's clearly a real place.

My instinct would be that it's the same thing as Zophar. English (and most other European languages) does a bad job of recognizing the difference between Zs and Ss, especially in words from outside the IE language family (as I assume a language in the Arabian peninsula would be Semitic).

--Jaylemurph

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jaylemurph said:

I have a copy of an old book I use for very similar purposes to what the OP is asking for called Bibliotecha Classica. It's from 1851, so it's not perfect, but it's usually a good gazetteer of the Classical and early Medieval world. It does not list a "Saphar." Or Zophar, although that's clearly a real place.

My instinct would be that it's the same thing as Zophar. English (and most other European languages) does a bad job of recognizing the difference between Zs and Ss, especially in words from outside the IE language family (as I assume a language in the Arabian peninsula would be Semitic).

--Jaylemurph

Yes I would agree the name was probably taken from what he heard Arabic speakers calling i/naming it and you can get some pretty wild spelling from a combination of an Englishman listening to a Hadramaut Arab speaking.

• Like 1

On 1/28/2017 at 8:44 PM, Harte said:

I think he means Zamfir:

Harte

At 1:41, they propose CD, cassette and... LP...? Please, forgive my lack of culture, but what is a LP? :blink:

Ẓafār, biblical Sephar, classical Sapphar, or Saphar, ancient Arabian site located southwest of Yarīm in southern Yemen. It was the capital of the Ḥimyarites, a tribe that ruled much of southern Arabia from about 115 bc to about ad 525. Up until the Persian conquest (c. ad 575), Ẓafār was one of the most important and celebrated towns in southern Arabia—a fact attested to not only by Arab geographers and historians but also by Greek and Roman authors. After the extinction of the Ḥimyar kingdom and the rise of Islām, Ẓafār gradually fell into decay

https://global.britannica.com/place/Zafar

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zafar,_Yemen

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Himyarite_Kingdom

https://www.google.com/maps/place/14°12'41.0"N+44°24'31.0"E/@14.2111416,44.4024414,977m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d14.211389!4d44.408611?hl=en

https://tools.wmflabs.org/geohack/geohack.php?pagename=Zafar%2C_Yemen&params=14_12_41_N_44_24_31_E_type:landmark

Edited by The_Spartan
to add info.
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, Gingitsune said:

At 1:41, they propose CD, cassette and... LP...? Please, forgive my lack of culture, but what is a LP? :blink:

An LP is a Long-Playing* 12" vinyl record album.

--Jaylemurph

*As opposed to a 45 rpm single or EP (Extended Play), 7" single album

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jaylemurph said:

An LP is a Long-Playing* 12" vinyl record album.

--Jaylemurph

*As opposed to a 45 rpm single or EP (Extended Play), 7" single album

Thanks! We call them LP "33 tours" as opposed to EP known as "45 tours". Both were out of fashion when I started to get a decent mastery of English.

On 1/29/2017 at 1:27 AM, Hanslune said:

Truly a weak attempt at humor - to bed without your dinner and no more food for you all month - until you eat your own leg.

All you young kids with your newfangled music and modern instruments. No respect for classical instruments which have been entertaining mankind over millenia and required skill to use instead of letting some machine make the sounds.

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 7:44 PM, Harte said:

I think he means Zamfir:

Harte

Maybe I was wrong. That would be a first.

Perhaps he meant Sapphire:

amosandyTVcast.jpg

That's her on the right.

Harte

1 hour ago, Harte said:

Maybe I was wrong. That would be a first.

Perhaps he meant Sapphire:

amosandyTVcast.jpg

That's her on the right.

Harte

A stone of prosperity, Sapphire sustains life force and attracts joy and peace. Sapphire helps to open the mind to beauty and intuition. ... A stone of spiritual healing and spiritual truth, Blue Sapphire is useful when channeling healing energies from the Angelic Realm or a higher source.

https://www.healingcrystals.com/Blue_Sapphire_Articles_59.html

• Like 1