Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

WIFI thief....how to stop them?

seeder

Right so Ive been staying with my mother.... who has a broadband account but never uses it. Its also wifi. So over the last 3 days Ive been here....my laptop, which connects to her broadband/wifi etc.... has been slower than usual and keeps disconnecting ....I see the router light go out and keep flickering until it establishes a connection sooner or later.. however today Im lucky to be online for more than a few mins before the connection drops again

I downloaded a free app from whoisonmywifi.com

And it does indeed show my laptop/name as being connected....plus.... someone else, so it seems.

Anyway, my mum, once I explained whats going on, dug out her last phone bill, where she had an extra charge for going 5 gigs over her download limit. She doesnt even go online, let alone download stuff. At 76 she just isnt bothered with computers at all....so it wasnt her downloading, nor me

Now clearly I have to call the ISP and get this resolved....and I will... BUT heres what I want to know.

In one of my office jobs some years ago, completely out of the blue.. a new window suddenly opened up on my desktop works PC...with a big message stating... "Im watching you"

Then the window vanished.... and I looked round the office only to see a workmate looking at me and giggling.... he had sent a "network message" to my works PC

I had no idea how he did it, and he didnt tell me how...probably as he knew Id start doing it to other staff members :lol: But...if someone is using my mums connection, can I send a 'network message"?   If so....how exactly?

Its really getting me mad as like said, Im getting disconnected every few mins or so, and I want to fight back....but as its the first time Ive discovered this, I dont have many ideas how to stop it.

Sure... I KNOW I can just plug the wire into the laptop rather than the wifi router for a direct connection... but I want to know if I can freak the thief out with a message...or even find out their location so I can go round their house and show them how pi**ed off I am

Any ideas then?

Your account should be password protected to prevent that. It sounds like your mother never had it set up.

• Like 5

Just now, Oniomancer said:

Your account should be password protected to prevent that. It sounds like your mother never had it set up.

Indeed yes, I had thought of just changing the password too.... BUT, as she is now getting  a warning from the phone company and extra charges for passing her download limit... I want to somehow find....or at least.... send a message to, whoever is stealing her wifi

My first instinct was to go and knock on the neighbours doors and simply ASK them if they are connecting to someone elses wifi....tho that would probably just cause bad feelings with the neighbours obviously.... so Id rather do this more covertly

As said, not only is my mum getting billed for the over the limit usage..... but for some reason the connection keeps dropping and Im getting knocked off line every 5 or ten mins, today is the worst ever....Im online for 2 mins, then knocked offline for longer

what if.....whoever the thief is....is downloading illegal stuff?  That to will get blamed on my mum, and thats where Im worrying the most

They're like psychic vampires. What you need is a good tinfoil hat. 

• Like 1

To be fair, I wouldn't consider it "theft" if the connection is unsecured, although I totally understand your annoyance. These days there are so many wi-fi hotspots in populated areas, that people switch connections all the time, especially on mobile devices. Providers such as Virgin even use your Superhub as a wi-fi hotspot unless you opt out of the scheme, although as I understand it, this operates outside normal router operation (you can't track access) and doesn't interfere with your normal bandwidth.

You need to access your mum's router and secure the connection. You should also get some info on connected devices in there if you really want to track down the bandwidth snafflers.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

They're like psychic vampires. What you need is a good tinfoil hat. 

the app I downloaded, mentioned above....shows me the thiefs IP address apparently..... I was wanting to know If I could send a network message to the thief to scare him/her off

Id also like to know their location so I can make them pay the extra money my mum is getting billed.... so tinfoil hats are not a worthy point to raise....my mum is getting warnings from her ISP and charges for downloading.....which she isnt doing

Like any son, when it comes to my mum.... I get bloody protective

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LV-426 said:

You need to access your mum's router and secure the connection. You should also get some info on connected devices in there if you really want to track down the bandwidth snafflers.

I can see their MAC address and last IP address.....but what does that mean and does it help me track them down?  Its got to be a neighbour hasnt it?

No.  I knew a guy who would drive around until he found an open signal and would use it.   Now, I would change the password ASAP to protect your mom.  If someone is downloading illegal files, she can be investigated because it is her modem and she did not protect herself once she found out someone was using her WiFi.  At least where I live this can be a consideration.

• Like 1

Just now, Four Winds said:

I have been doing some searching and "Moocherhunter" seems like it could help you figure out who it is.

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/6215-moocherhunter.html

Personally I would just change the password and move on.

Well would you also be happy to accept the extra charges on your bill for what someone else has downloaded?

3 minutes ago, seeder said:

Well would you also be happy to accept the extra charges on your bill for what someone else has downloaded?

I wouldn't be happy about it but would let it go unless it was some crazy amount and I needed to sue the person. But that is just me.  Of course you have to do what you feel is right.

Anyway, I did give you a link to something that looks like it could help you track down the person(s) if that is what you decide to do.

Edited by Four Winds
  • Like 1

Flamethrower1-e1430852695307.jpg

There's my suggestion on how to stop them.  Get's rid of spiders too.

• Like 6

Using the app I mentioned above

whoisonmywifi.com

I CAN SEE THE INTRUDER and disconnect him or her....once done.....my connection is back to normal.....the app then throws up a warning if he/she tries to connect again.....which he/she has been doing every ten mins or so, and again, I just disconnect him.

So at least now I can see who is connected or is trying to connect. My aim tho..... is to warn them off, and locate them so that they PAY what my mum is getting billed for. Why should she have to pay the bill when she doesnt even go online?

After this is over.....YES, I will change any router passwords and even disconnect the router when Im not here...... but as said.... someone needs to pay for this, and they cant live much more than 3 or 4 doors away in either direction can they?

5 minutes ago, seeder said:

Using the app I mentioned above

whoisonmywifi.com

I CAN SEE THE INTRUDER and disconnect him or her....once done.....my connection is back to normal.....the app then throws up a warning if he/she tries to connect again.....which he/she has been doing every ten mins or so, and again, I just disconnect him.

So at least now I can see who is connected or is trying to connect. My aim tho..... is to warn them off, and locate them so that they PAY what my mum is getting billed for. Why should she have to pay the bill when she doesnt even go online?

After this is over.....YES, I will change any router passwords and even disconnect the router when Im not here...... but as said.... someone needs to pay for this, and they cant live much more than 3 or 4 doors away in either direction can they?

Hackers I believe can use devices to reach routers much further than that.  Also, if you keep bumping them off and they stop trying to connect, you will not be able to locate them.

Edited by Four Winds
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, seeder said:

I can see their MAC address and last IP address.....but what does that mean and does it help me track them down?  Its got to be a neighbour hasnt it?

I'd guess it's someone local if the connection isn't secured, depending on the range of your wi-fi, but it could be someone using a mobile at a neighbours house, etc. Routers can also be hacked, so it could be from further afield.

All the IP address will tell you is the general location and the ISP being used. You'd need the ISP to provide the name and location of the actual user, which they won't do unless you're looking at court orders, etc.

• Like 3

Their mac address is like the digital fingerprint of their device so they are 100% trackable (edit - I meant identifiable) if you have that. Their ip will be your mother's.

You could always go to the darknet and hire a hacker :D Should be easy for them since it's an unsecure network.

Edited by ExpandMyMind
  • Like 2

Also, why don't you just add a password?

19 minutes ago, Four Winds said:

I have been doing some searching and "Moocherhunter" seems like it could help you figure out who it is.

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/6215-moocherhunter.html

Personally I would just change the password and move on.

Just checked out Moocherhunter.... looks good, but its 580megs big!   Thats a huge file size for a download.... but still its not a problem I guess....and it seems it will lead me to the thiefs front door too!  Thanks for the info, will DL later and give it a go

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

Their mac address is like the digital fingerprint of their device so they are 100% trackable if you have that. Their ip will be your mother's.

You could always go to the darknet and hire a hacker :D Should be easy for them since it's an unsecure network.

well the thing is, the app lists any device connected to the router....so I can see me/my mums IP address and mack address...but, it also shows the intruders mack and IP address, and the IP address is similar but last 3 digits are different....so Ive defo got their MACK and IP...... but what to do with them?

On January 28, 2017 at 8:38 PM, seeder said:

well the thing is, the app lists any device connected to the router....so I can see me/my mums IP address and mack address...but, it also shows the intruders mack and IP address, and the IP address is similar but last 3 digits are different....so Ive defo got their MACK and IP...... but what to do with them?

The ip address shown is not the actual ip address. Think of it like a block of flats. All of them are number 10, but flat a, b, c, d etc are all unique houses (read: computers). The numbers at the end of an ip are like that.

If you didn't have a password on then, as someone else mentioned, you probably won't have any legal recourse and the broadband company will say the same thing. I'd seriously consider the hacker thing. Once you find out who it is, confront them nicely and tell them about the money owed. If they refuse or deny, let the hacker loose on them. 

Edited by ExpandMyMind
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, seeder said:

Just checked out Moocherhunter.... looks good, but its 580megs big!   Thats a huge file size for a download.... but still its not a problem I guess....and it seems it will lead me to the thiefs front door too!  Thanks for the info, will DL later and give it a go

According to the article you will also need a laptop and directional antenna.  Then you will need to walk around to find the moocher.

• Like 1

Just now, ExpandMyMind said:

The ip address shown is not the actual ip address. Think of it like a block of flats. All of them are number 10, but flat a, b, c, d etc are all unique houses (read: computers).

If you didn't have a password on then, as someone else mentioned, you probably won't have any legal recourse and the broadband company will say the same thing. I'd seriously consider the hacker thing. Once you find out who it is, confront them nicely and tell them about the money owed. If they refuse or deny, let the hacker loose on them. 

No Im not going on the darkweb for hackers or anything...and I would PREFER to go knock on their door and confront them.... Im not a soft type of guy and am not afraid of confrontations either

• Like 1

On January 28, 2017 at 8:47 PM, seeder said:

No Im not going on the darkweb for hackers or anything...and I would PREFER to go knock on their door and confront them.... Im not a soft type of guy and am not afraid of confrontations either

Then the only option you have is to add a password and change the network name to '**** YOU YOU DIRTY NETWORK LEACHING MARBLE SACK'.

• Like 3

Im not letting them get away with it. So far with the app I downloaded I see them keep trying to connect and so keep blocking them, and as said, when I decide Im done being online I will unplug the router

Ive got the Mac address tho dont know...yet...what to do with it... But Im not letting it go till I know which house is launching the hacks etc....and at that time....I will be knocking their door and getting loud and aggressive right in their faces.....PLUS getting the extra billing my mums been charged....paid from them

• Like 1

yes you cant find him if you dont have a antenna and go out and search..
The IP adress you see is your mothers network IP and not his.

• Like 1