Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

James Cameron finds 'evidence of Atlantis'

UM-Bot

I have been fascinated by the Atlantis controversy for many years but 4,000+ year old anchors can't get me very excited. I was hoping for something more interesting when I clicked the link.

• Like 3

Well it is evidence of an advaced sailing society that could fit with the timeline and region of the myth. It's closer to evidence of Atlantis than anything else discovered (which wouldn't take much).

Edited by ExpandMyMind
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

I have been fascinated by the Atlantis controversy for many years but 4,000+ year old anchors can't get me very excited. I was hoping for something more interesting when I clicked the link.

I think its somewhat exciting. If you subscribe to the theory that a grouping of anchors equates to there having been a harbor there that gives researchers a place to focus on searching. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

I think its somewhat exciting. If you subscribe to the theory that a grouping of anchors equates to there having been a harbor there that gives researchers a place to focus on searching. 

Yeah, I guess I'll get more excited if further searching does turn up something really interesting (but not before).

The theory of Atlantis that most intrigues me is the more ancient and advanced civilization idea. Multiple psychic sources have talked of this in considerable detail. Desperate psychic sources seem to be saying the same things. That intrigues me.

• Like 1

Just now, papageorge1 said:

Yeah, I guess I'll get more excited if further searching does turn up something really interesting (but not before).

The theory of Atlantis that most intrigues me is the more ancient and advanced civilization idea. Multiple psychic sources have talked of this in considerable detail. Desperate psychic sources seem to be saying the same things. That intrigues me.

Im an absolute firm believer in the possibility of advanced ancient technologies so im with you on that ! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, UM-Bot said:

The famed movie director has linked the discovery of bronze age anchors to the legend of Atlantis.

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/303353/james-cameron-finds-evidence-of-atlantis

Sounds more like evidence for those people from Tyre.....and around. Phoenicians

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

Except it doesn't as the timeline is some 8000 years off so not remotely a good fit. It's more inline, timewise, with what we know of Phoenician sailing.

cormac

Plato provided a date? How could anyone even begin to properly estimate the a timeline of such a legend?

• Like 1

Evidence for a contrived fictional setting created by Plato to tell a story.  Oh, how magical....let's see who falls for that on this site.

• Like 2

Personally, I wouldn't take anything less than Patrick Duffy popping out of my fish pond with webbed hands and feet, but "bronze age anchors" is at least a little less tenuous than some of the Atlantis links on UM... :unsure2:

• Like 6

What is it lately with all these misleading and sensationalistic titles? They are growing in numbers every day! 

"2017: Rise of the Click bait". 

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, Parsec said:

What is it lately with all these misleading and sensationalistic titles? They are growing in numbers every day! 

"2017: Rise of the Click bait". 

expect a PM   ;)  

wasn't it based on Libya? Or part of what was then Libya that's now underwater, or something to that effect?

4 minutes ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

wasn't it based on Libya? Or part of what was then Libya that's now underwater, or something to that effect?

Per Plato's Critias, in part:

...was an island greater in extent than Libya and Asia...

Libya in that context is believed to have been the known extent of Northern Africa along the coast while Asia refers to the known extent of Asia Minor.

cormac

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

Per Plato's Critias, in part:

Libya in that context is believed to have been the known extent of Northern Africa along the coast while Asia refers to the known extent of Asia Minor.

cormac

Yes, Libya, like Ethiopia, usually meant the whole of Africa (or what they knew to be Africa) then, didn't it. 

5 minutes ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

Yes, Libya, like Ethiopia, usually meant the whole of Africa (or what they knew to be Africa) then, didn't it. 

More the latter than the former, but yes. By layout, again according to Plato, the island of Atlantis was in the area of 300 miles X 300 miles. Needless to say nothing that size could have existed directly in front of the Straits of Gibraltar where Plato places Atlantis, nor is there any evidence of such a landmass having existed there at any point in history.

cormac

• Like 1

2 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

Other than those psychic sources being able to locate Atlantis, yes.

• Like 2

The other mystery is, where was Plato's Cave? 

• Like 2

• The topic was locked