Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Pet snake gets stuck in woman's earlobe

Still Waters

An Oregon woman’s post about how her pet snake’s curiosity landed her in the emergency room has quickly gained steam on social media.

Ashley Glawe, who has since recovered from the January incident, shared that she was playing with her pet snake when it poked its head through her stretched earlobe and became stuck.

Glawe said the Ball Python snake, named Bart, was too big to fit all the way through her lobe, and she was unable to extract it on her own. Glawe further explained that she wears gages in her earlobes but had taken them out.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2017/02/01/pet-snake-gets-stuck-in-womans-stretched-earlobe.html

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Four Winds said:

Two things I will never have, stretched earlobes or a pet snake. 

pet snakes can be nice, if you care for them properly. we had a pet garter snake when i was growing up, and he would curl around your hand. they do require unique care though.

and i'm glad this snake survived his encounter with the giant.

• Like 6

14 hours ago, Claire. said:

Just when you thought you had seen it all.  Poor snake.

My wife and I have had  the same kind of snake (Ball Python) for almost fifteen years now. My wife found it when it was about ten inched long in a gas station parking lot. No joke. It is now all most six feet and as round as a beer can. Very docile. Anyhow about ten years ago it got stuck in one of my wife's big loop earrings. I had to use wire cutters to operate on the earring.  Kinda brought back memories when I first saw the headline.

• Like 7

Just now, Why not said:

My wife and I have had  the same kind of snake (Ball Python) for almost fifteen years now. My wife found it when it was about ten inched long in a gas station parking lot. No joke. It is now all most six feet and as round as a beer can. Very docile. Anyhow about ten years ago it got stuck in one of my wife's big loop earrings. I had to use wire cutters to operate on the earring.  Kinda brought back memories when I first saw the headline.

Some snakes are really sweet creatures. There are numerous advantages to their physical shape, but at the same time, I can understand why they often find themselves in a bit of a trap. And thanks for sharing your experience. The gas station and loop earring rescues make for such a nice story.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Why not said:

They're really cool creatures. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, seaturtlehorsesnake said:

pet snakes can be nice, if you care for them properly. we had a pet garter snake when i was growing up, and he would curl around your hand. they do require unique care though.

and i'm glad this snake survived his encounter with the giant.

Yeah, my mother had pet snakes and took in injured ones just as any other animal. She had a red ribbonned garter snake that was a lawnmower victim. I think that's what it's called. It was small and even  kind of cute to me, I don't like snakes but they don't bother me anymore then a toad. This little snake was fed hamburger etc on wires by my mom. The cutest thing I ever saw was when it heard music it would curl like a Cobra and sway. It was kind of pretty since it was black and shiny with red stripes and a gold silverish belly swaying to music. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, White Unicorn said:

Yeah, my mother had pet snakes and took in injured ones just as any other animal. She had a red ribbonned garter snake that was a lawnmower victim. I think that's what it's called. It was small and even  kind of cute to me, I don't like snakes but they don't bother me anymore then a toad. This little snake was fed hamburger etc on wires by my mom. The cutest thing I ever saw was when it heard music it would curl like a Cobra and sway. It was kind of pretty since it was black and shiny with red stripes and a gold silverish belly swaying to music. 

I think garter snakes and other local fauna are fine to keep as long as they are being saved, as your mother's snake was, but I really think the Python/Boa trade needs to be controlled federally as they have become a severe problem in the southern states.  People buy them as a novelty but soon lose interest or become unable to control a massive snake and simply let them go to fend for themselves which is something they are very good at.  The Virginia Living Museum has an annual reptile day where handlers bring their exotic animals in order to educate kids and all of those folks agree that only trained (certified?) and responsible people should own the creatures.   http://www.cbsnews.com/news/floridas-python-plague-spreading-north/

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Oregon.  Big surprise.

:lol: West coast property values tell you all you need to know about that place 

• Like 2

Myself being a patron of the alternative scene and with multiple piercings myself, I'm still perplexed as to the fascination with earlobe stretching which I feel is an all around bad idea, this now being another reason: Because animals can get caught in them.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Merc14 said:

I think garter snakes and other local fauna are fine to keep as long as they are being saved, as your mother's snake was, but I really think the Python/Boa trade needs to be controlled federally as they have become a severe problem in the southern states.  People buy them as a novelty but soon lose interest or become unable to control a massive snake and simply let them go to fend for themselves which is something they are very good at.  The Virginia Living Museum has an annual reptile day where handlers bring their exotic animals in order to educate kids and all of those folks agree that only trained (certified?) and responsible people should own the creatures.   http://www.cbsnews.com/news/floridas-python-plague-spreading-north/

Very interesting (and somewhat scary) article Merc, Thanks.

I had no idea Burmese pythons had established such a large breeding population in Florida. Their estimated numbers are mind-blowing and I'm not at all comfortable knowing these snakes are making (and breeding) their way up north.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Merc14 said:

this x1000. and just speaking in general, a pet should never be a novelty. a pet is a living, feeling animal that deserves understanding and respect. far too many people cause far too much harm because of ignorance.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, seaturtlehorsesnake said:

this x1000. and just speaking in general, a pet should never be a novelty. a pet is a living, feeling animal that deserves understanding and respect. far too many people cause far too much harm because of ignorance.

Well, uh, sorry, a snake does not have "feelings" in an emotional sense, pet or not.

Their expression of comfort is nothing more than a perception of "non-threat"

Nothing at all to do with emotional feelings, an aspect of the brain only occurring in higher-order species.

Edited by pallidin

2 hours ago, pallidin said:

Well, uh, sorry, a snake does not have "feelings" in an emotional sense, pet or not.

Nothing at all to do with emotional feelings, an aspect of the brain only occurring in higher-order species.

that's not what i was talking about, but maybe that's my fault for word choice.

my point was, to put it simply: don't treat living things like toys.

• Like 1

In response to posts #12 and #13 I keep hearing "keep Portland weird".

Edited by equus hemionus
missing part of post and wrong #s
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, pallidin said:

Are you speaking about reptiles (I have never lived with one, so not sure about their "feelings")  or all animals, not human?

• Like 1